All Things 2015 Gophers Softball Thread

Second year in a row winning @ ASU! Very nice! Think they were like #3 last year when the Gophers beat them.

They were. I went to the game last year. It was awesome! Really glad they were able to come back and beat Colorado State yesterday. I got nervous when we were down 5-3 in the 5th. So when is our next "tough" game?

They were. I went to the game last year. It was awesome! Really glad they were able to come back and beat Colorado State yesterday. I got nervous when we were down 5-3 in the 5th. So when is our next "tough" game?

They are headed to Orlando, Florida this coming weekend for the Citrus Classic. Friday at noon they catch 12-1 Mississippi State. According to their website, they've played all 13 of their games in Starkville. They are just outside of the top 25. On Saturday they hook up with #18 Missouri. The Tigers dumped #13 Arizona 3-2 this past Sunday in California. I would venture to say a couple tough match-ups this coming weekend. They are also scheduled to play James Madison (5-4), University of Nebraska at Omaha (5-4) and Fordham (8-5). James Madison gave #3 Alabama a pretty good game.
Guessing Sara G gets the ball on Friday against Mississippi State and Saturday versus Missouri.

Gophers up two spots to #13 this week in USA Today/Coaches poll. They are #11 in the ESPN/USA Softball poll.

For this weekends opponents -- Missouri dropped two spots to #20. The Tigers also lost to UCF earlier this year (Gophers only loss). Mississippi State (#28) and James Madison (#32) are receiving votes.

Gophers up two spots to #13 this week in USA Today/Coaches poll. They are #11 in the ESPN/USA Softball poll.

For this weekends opponents -- Missouri dropped two spots to #20. The Tigers also lost to UCF earlier this year (Gophers only loss). Mississippi State (#28) and James Madison (#32) are receiving votes.

Looks like that game is on ESPN 3, Friday at 12:15 (If I'm reading it correctly)

Gophers will probably face left hander Alexis Silkwood (9-1) tomorrow against Mississippi State. Sophomore, who had 167 strikeouts in 153 innings last year. This year she has thrown 53 innings with 73 strikeouts.

5-0 win over Mississippi State. Groenewegen - 14 Ks, 1 hit allowed.

Down 4-2 in the 3rd inning against James Madison....non-Groenewegens have allowed 12 baserunners in 2.1 innings so far.

18 hits allowed in the James Madison game by Stober (6 hits, 1.1 innings) and Anderson (12 hits, 4.2 innings) in the 8-2 loss.

How you play so good against Mississippi St. and then lay an egg against James Madison is beyond me. So frustrating...

How you play so good against Mississippi St. and then lay an egg against James Madison is beyond me. So frustrating...

I don't know if its that hard to figure out. Mississippi St is one of those schools who think that their in conference scedule is so tough that they should play all creampuffs in the ooc. That is what their football team does. How else do you go 13-2 and not even make the Top 25? And they had to try to hit on our Ace Sara G.

James Madison on the otherhand is a small conf team that needs to beef up their ooc scedule. They are probably like us, have one awesome pitcher but lack depth. So they win most of the games their Ace pitches, but struggle otherwise. JMU gave #3 ranked, I believe, Alabama a very good game. So we had to hit against their Ace and they did not have to hit against our Ace.

Mizzou Softball :

All games cancelled for Saturday. Sunday schedule right now is still on but we'll keep you posted. Scheduled to play Maryland at 10 am ET.

One game we pitch Groenewegen, one game we don't. Simple as that. Would think that at the very least Nikki Anderson would've gotten that start instead being that she is the better (and more experienced) pitcher.

Michigan trounced Toledo and Binghampton yesterday, 9-0 and 15-0. Betsa and Wagner getting the wins. They catch Arizona State today. They beat the Wildcats on Friday 7-5.

Nikki Anderson with the start this morning vs. Fordham. 5-0 Fordham in the 1st inning. Evavold in after Anderson faced 8 batters without recording an out.
Fordham sent 13 batters to the plate in top of first. Gophers face 9-0 deficit.

Gophers fall to Fordham 10-5. Kylie Stober with 6 innings of relief, 1 run, 5 hits, 3 strikeouts.

UAB next today.

Sara G matched up against UAB right handed Sophomore Cara Goodwin. Goodwin with 32 strikeouts in 33.1 innings.

Gophers in a 0-0 battle with UAB heading into the top of the 6th. Sara G surrendering 2 hits, Goodwin 3.

Minnesota softball sophomore Sara Groenewegen was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week

Probably will be Sara G against right handed Sophomore Madi Schreyer in the first Stanford game. She handles the bulk of their innings. Last year logged 242, with a 22-14 record. By comparison Moulton had 209 and Sara G had 116.

Michigan heads to Fullerton and takes on Cal State Fullerton today. Tomorrow they get Arizona State and #1 Florida. (A rematch of their first game of the season, their only loss.) Here's an eye opening stat; out of the 3 pitchers to get innings for the Gators, the highest ERA is .64 (That's the highest!)

Michigan gets dumped twice today. Arizona State, 2-0 in extra innings. Florida 7-4.

Groenewegen vs right hander Hailey Snyder in the opener tonight. Freshman Snyder is 7-6 with a ERA of 5.03, 29 strikeouts in 80.2 innings.

Nikki Anderson replaces Sara G with 1 out in the 6th. Sara faced 7 batters and recorded 1 out. Gophers up 7-3......make that 7-5 now.

Gophers win 10-5.

Looks like Stober threw 5 shutout innings in the first game today and then ran into trouble in the 6th. Anderson and Sara G threw in the 7th. Gophers end up beating Santa Clara 9-6.

Groenewegen pitching in the second game. Gophers cruise to a 9-1 win in 5 innings. Now 17-4.

Michigan 22-3
Minnesota 17-4
Ohio State 13-6
Maryland 13-8
Purdue 11-7
Michigan State 11-9
Penn State 8-9
Rutgers 5-6
Nebraska 7-10
Northwestern 7-10
Wisconsin 8-12
Illinois 8-14
Iowa 7-14
Indiana 4-17

Through March 7

Groenewegen the scheduled starter against Stanford today, 12 o'clock game.

Gophers move to 18-4 with 4 game sweep of the weekend. Winners today over Stanford 9-4. Sara G. not really at her sharpest, allowing 6 hits (HR, 2 doubles and a triple), 2 HBP and 2 BB's, 10 strikeouts.

NCAA site came out with the 2015 stats today.
Sara Groenewegen is #5 in Strikeouts per Seven Innings at 11.6
Sara G is #28 in ERA at 1.05
Sara G is #4 in Strikeouts with 133
Sara G is #8 in wins with 11
Sara G is #22 with 3 shutouts
Hannah Granger is # 30 in Batting Average with .508
Hannah Granger is #32 in On Base Percentage with .583

Top Bottom