All Things 2015 Gophers Softball Thread

overpass

Reaction score
The defending Big Ten Tournament champs open 2015 ranked #15. The same position they held in the final 2014 poll.

Gophers season opens at the Sportco Kickoff Classic in Las Vegas with first games 2/6/15 vs. #11 Washington and Cal State-Bakersfield.

Rankings

2015 Gopher Schedule

The defending Big Ten Tournament champs open 2015 ranked #15. The same position they held in the final 2014 poll.

Gophers season opens at the Sportco Kickoff Classic in Las Vegas with first games 2/6/15 vs. #11 Washington and Cal State-Bakersfield.

Rankings

2015 Gopher Schedule
We should have a hell of a team this year. Really looking forward to seeing the girls play.

Minnesota beats #11 Washington, 8-0, in five innings in Vegas.

Sara Groenewegen allowed 4 hits and struck out 9.

True FR second baseman Danielle Parlich was 3 for 3 with four RBIs in her first career game.

Gophers play Bakersfield later tonight. Washington beat them 11-2 earlier today.

Love this coach for the Gopher's Softball team. This could be/should be a great year, but more than that, the Gophers could be a force in the B1G and in the country for a very long time if she can maintain the momentum she's built up to this point.

8-0, WOW. Guessing Washington might have been a little overrated, but they are a typically good Pac-12 team so no matter what it was a very good win!!! Maybe the pollsters will take the Gophers seriously this year. I still think we got screwed only getting the #16 seed in last season's NCAA tourney. Should have gotten something closer to #10-14. But the B1G doesn't get alot of respect.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Gophers beat Bakersfield 9-1 in five innings.

All american Richardson goes 3 for 3 with 3 RBIs.

Parlich adds 2 more RBIs for 6 on the day.

Freshman Kylie Stober allows a run on 5 hits with 8Ks and 2 walks. Team needs to find a good starter behind Groenewegen.

Impressive start by the ladies! Go gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outscored the West Coast 32-7 over 15 innings.

Doesn't seem like offense will be a problem for us this year? So far at least.

And it was our 3rd starting pitcher who allowed 6 runs. Does a team need more than 2 really good pitchers to do well come NCAA tourney time? I understand on a weekend like this weekend, playing 4 games in 2 days, it is nice to have more than 2 good pitchers, but 4 games in 2 days is not standard, is it? During conf play, they play what? 2 or 3 games over a weekend?

Gophers beat Louisville 4-2 last night and UNLV 14-3 today to move to 5-0.

Really a fun team to watch. John Anderson needs to start recruiting nationwide or the baseball team will continue to crap the bed.

Excited to see them come down and play ASU in two weeks! I think this will be the year they get to the WCWS. I'm calling it now! :D

Excited to see them come down and play ASU in two weeks! I think this will be the year they get to the WCWS. I'm calling it now! :D

Would love to see that! :eek: Realizing it's a long season and we're only five games in, this team looks like it has the potential to be perhaps the best in school history. One thing's for sure - if this weekend is any indication, could be a big year for coach Allister and the ladies.

I always love looking at early season stats:

OPS Leaders

Parlich: 1.725
Granger: 1.453
Walker: 1.365
Richardson: 1.299
Meyer: 1.233
Groenewegen: .962
Macken: .900

Of course, during the season there will be regression to the mean, but man, they hit the snot out of the ball last weekend.

www.espnW.com, in their softball "5 Things to know about" section listed Minnesota at #5 highlighting their big opening weekend, the Gopher's scoring 50 runs in 5 games, and stated the big question will be depth. They mentioned with Sara M pitching in the Pro Fast Pitch league that Sara G will probably have a heavy load to carry this season.

That is a good point. Last season we had both Saras pitching for us and that made us a very formidable team to have to face in a weekend series. We should accumulate alot of wins in the ooc part of the season with Sara G pitching, and with our potent offense, and the difference between us having a good season and a historic one could be how our other pitchers pan out over the season and if Sara G can remain healthy for the whole season.

New poll has them up to #13. UCLA with 2 losses already only dropped down to #12, Arizona is at #14 and Washington dropped down to #15.

Gophers sweep Stetson.

3-0 win - Groenewegen strikes out 14

16-7 win - Groenwegen 4-for-4, 5 RBI, #9 hitter Fabian 3-for3 with HR and 3 RBIs

It's early but team's lone weakness - a second starter. How many innings can Groenewegen throw in a 3 day big ten series?

Gophers play mass lowell and central Florida on Sunday

Gophers sweep Stetson.

16-7 win - Groenwegen 4-for-4, 5 RBI, #9 hitter Fabian 3-for3 with HR and 3 RBIs

It's early but team's lone weakness - a second starter. How many innings can Groenewegen throw in a 3 day big ten series?

Yeah, running through the box scores, looks like it might be an issue.

Gophers sweep Stetson.

Agree. Need Anderson or Stober to step up and give Groenewegen a break to keep her fresh for the biggies.

With that said, this team can really hit the ball. If either Anderson or Stober can step forward and even be adequate in the circle, look out.

Agree. Need Anderson or Stober to step up and give Groenewegen a break to keep her fresh for the biggies.

With that said, this team can really hit the ball. If either Anderson or Stober can step forward and even be adequate in the circle, look out.

I hate to say it, we have an incredible offense, but if Sara G goes down, we are in big trouble.

Split today. Anderson (complete game)beats Lowell 8-0. 2 hits, 7 strikeouts, 1 base on balls. Groenewegen hooks up with Shelby Turnier and loses 4-0. 12 strikeouts for Turnier, 11 for Sara. Looks like a couple of home runs for UCF.

Funny thing about todays games, several of us were sort of dissing our #2/#3 pitchers, and praising our offense and Sara G.

so was it karma or something? Sara G allows 4 runs and our offense produces none in game 2, after our #2 pitcher allowed no runs.

Now I do understand UCF is a better team than Mass-Lowell, but still thought it was sort of humorous in light of what I and others said earlier. UCF's pitcher is obviously a good one and probably why UCF was getting votes for the Top 25. Beating us will probably get them into the Top 25 next week. But maybe the lack of a 2nd starter isn't our only weakness? Teams with killer pitchers might cause us trouble?

Really nice spring trips though, aren't they? Nevada, Florida, Arizona, back to Florida, then to California.

Funny thing about todays games, several of us were sort of dissing our #2/#3 pitchers, and praising our offense and Sara G.

so was it karma or something? Sara G allows 4 runs and our offense produces none in game 2, after our #2 pitcher allowed no runs.

Now I do understand UCF is a better team than Mass-Lowell, but still thought it was sort of humorous in light of what I and others said earlier. UCF's pitcher is obviously a good one and probably why UCF was getting votes for the Top 25. Beating us will probably get them into the Top 25 next week. But maybe the lack of a 2nd starter isn't our only weakness? Teams with killer pitchers might cause us trouble?

Still early in the year, so there is plenty to work on. The potential is definitely there however. As for yesterday's games, I wouldn't worry too much about Sara's performance. Three of those four runs came after an error with two out in an inning. Then we had a situation in the next inning where we had two-on, one-out and hit into a double-play. In other words, just wasn't our day.

I have little doubt the team will be very very good by the time Big 10 play starts. Just need some refinements here and there.

Michigan (8-1) with a couple of big wins over the weekend. Beat #6 Florida State 6-5 and 2-1 on Saturday. Lost 2-1 in their season opener to #1 Florida. According to their schedule they will face Florida again March 5th in Fullerton.

Sara G. goes 7 in the first game today, picking up the win. Gophers 6, New Mexico State 1. 11 K's, 1 walk, 4 hits. 3 home runs for the Maroon and Gold. Oddly, Gopher batters are hit 5 times, with Sara G getting plunked twice.

Gophers win the second one today behind Nikki Anderson, 8-3. She goes 7, giving up 8 hits, 0 walks and 4 K's. 4 home runs for the Gophers in this one.

They catch Arizona State in the second game tomorrow. Sun Devils are in the top 20. Assuming Sara G. will get the ball in that one.

Women grab the first game today behind Stober. Sara G. comes in for the final 2 outs.

Now the Gophers catch the Sun Devils under the lights. Looks like a nice crowd. (Choppy, choppy video feed from ASU.)

Groenewegen 4 hits #19 Arizona State University in a 4-1 win at their ball park. 12-1 with Colorado State tomorrow.

Michigan dumped #3 Alabama twice this past weekend. Friday 8-2 and yesterday 4-1. Betsa in the first game and left hander Wagner winning the second.

Second year in a row winning @ ASU! Very nice! Think they were like #3 last year when the Gophers beat them.

Gophers in a comeback win over Colorado State 8-5. Nikki Anderson started, went 1.2. Coach brought in Evavold, but she couldn't get an out. Sara G to the rescue. 5.1 innings and 11 strikeouts.

Top Bottom