Why not this guy?

Any insiders have thoughts on why the kid is getting overlooked? It's odd the local schools are passing on him. There has to be a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any insiders have thoughts on why the kid is getting overlooked? It's odd the local schools are passing on him. There has to be a reason.

I'm not an insider, but an obvious culprit would be academics.

If you reed the article he supposedly has a 3.75 gpa.

I'm not an insider, but an obvious culprit would be academics.

"Easton is carrying a 4.0 GPA during his senior year and has a cumulative average of 3.75. He and Carl—who doubles as the offensive coordinator at Rio Rancho—have started a quarterback camp designed to mentor younger kids in his hometown. "

"Easton is carrying a 4.0 GPA during his senior year and has a cumulative average of 3.75. He and Carl—who doubles as the offensive coordinator at Rio Rancho—have started a quarterback camp designed to mentor younger kids in his hometown. "

I read that, but it doesn't state what his ACT score is, or if he is missing a bunch of core courses, etc. It may or may not be academics - I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

I read that, but it doesn't state what his ACT score is, or if he is missing a bunch of core courses, etc. It may or may not be academics - I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

dpo is right. Core gpa and test scores are what matter. If it's not academics then it may be coaches aren't willing to take a risk on him.

According to this article, he has been at camps for Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 schools, so its not like he is getting seen. There has to be some reason no one is offering him.

Not impossible. I'd be a little surprised, but on the same sense, how many other possibilities are there?

If that was the only issue, you would think someone would be talking about hiding him in a JuCo like the U has done with a few players.

The only other thoughts are if there are rumors of drug use or legal issues? Questions about his amateur status? Maybe there was evidence he talked to an agent?

Not that any of the ideas I threw out are any more likely than what you mentioned, Dpo.

Regardless, something has to be up because he also has 0 FCS offers. I'm sorry, but you would think any QB with those stats in the top division of their state's HS league would get an offer somewhere unless there is a HUGE red flag.

According to this article, he has been at camps for Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 schools, so its not like he is getting seen. There has to be some reason no one is offering him.

So then he walks on to Wisconsin or Iowa and kicks our butts for 4 years? :D

Somewhere there is a massive red flag with this kid. The bleacher report story makes him seem perfect but there has to be something going on more then just being from New Mexico. If he has gone to camps all over the country and teams still aren't offering then they are seeing something that is telling them to stay away.

If he doesn't get an offer from someone after this story was published then that will confirm that there is something going on behind the scenes that is keeping everyone away from this kid. Ability, grades, family, off the field stuff.....there is something major there that isn't in the story, there has to be for a kid with that size and those numbers to get ignored by everyone, FCS included.

Seems a little odd alright, backyard of NMSU with ACT Composite: 18 / 24 and UNM Composite: 19 / 25?

Watching tape, he definitely doesn't throw from what his height is. He doesn't have great arm strength and floats the ball a lot (may be it is his style to throw more finesse than power as well). Has pretty poor footwork. Obviously 2 of those things for sure can be corrected. Given everything that's being said, I feel like we don't know the whole story. Maybe he's telling programs he doesn't want to walk on. It's also really hard to tell how good he is as the competition level (from the tape) leaves a lot to be desired. Considering he's worked out with so many teams and there's so many tapes he's sent out, there must be something that recruiters are not liking. If he doesn't have an offer by signing day, that would mean he's holding out for something.

I don't buy the angle in the article that it has to be because he is from New Mexico. That may hurt him a little but he's gone to camps and has gotten some exposure.

As others have said, there has to be some kind of red flag.

A.J."s mom's best friend sent out an email to all the FBS schools saying not to go there.......and we all know how dead to rights she is on football evaluations.

If there isn't a real hurdle for this kid, someone will take a flier and he'll get his shot.

Watching tape, he definitely doesn't throw from what his height is. He doesn't have great arm strength and floats the ball a lot (may be it is his style to throw more finesse than power as well). Has pretty poor footwork. Obviously 2 of those things for sure can be corrected. Given everything that's being said, I feel like we don't know the whole story. Maybe he's telling programs he doesn't want to walk on. It's also really hard to tell how good he is as the competition level (from the tape) leaves a lot to be desired. Considering he's worked out with so many teams and there's so many tapes he's sent out, there must be something that recruiters are not liking. If he doesn't have an offer by signing day, that would mean he's holding out for something.

Didn't the article say he plays in class 6A which is the biggest in New Mexico?

I don't buy the angle in the article that it has to be because he is from New Mexico. That may hurt him a little but he's gone to camps and has gotten some exposure.

As others have said, there has to be some kind of red flag.

Zack Gentry, the 4 star Michigan QB commit is from New Mexico as well. He beat Gentry's team.

Didn't the article say he plays in class 6A which is the biggest in New Mexico?

Yes. But quality of football there leaves something to be desired from national rankings. They're number 1 in the state according to max preps which is good for #202 in the nation

New Mexico preps guy gives an "interesting" reason for why this guy isn't being recruited in this podcast

https://nmpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1730896

Summary: in state schools know no one recruits NM so they only offer the superstar players because all NM kids will be "forced" to walk on at UNM or NMSU

My guess, a hitch in his throw and Jedd has already tried unsuccessfully to fix it having him throw countless tennis balls.

Keep in mind that most division 2 or 3 quarterbacks were pretty phenomenal high school quarterbacks. Maybe this guy just isn't D1 material and will need to go JUCO or D2 to start.

New Mexico preps guy gives an "interesting" reason for why this guy isn't being recruited in this podcast

https://nmpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1730896

Summary: in state schools know no one recruits NM so they only offer the superstar players because all NM kids will be "forced" to walk on at UNM or NMSU

I don't buy this. Both schools regularly sign in state kids that aren't superstars. It's a small state population wise. It's about the size of Nebraska. Their isn't very many D1 players available each year. There also aren't a lot of "mid major" teams located near New Mexico, so it isn't going to get a lot of recruiting attention. This kid doesn't fit New Mexico's offense. NMST signed 6 qbs last year, who I bet have some impressive highlight tapes as well. This kid's stats are probably based some on his competition, some on the offense he plays in, and some on talent. I didn't think he looked like a sure fire major conference player. Maybe he can get a look at a smaller school. Many of the smaller schools get a huge chunk of their commits closer to signing day.

I don't buy this. Both schools regularly sign in state kids that aren't superstars. It's a small state population wise. It's about the size of Nebraska. Their isn't very many D1 players available each year. There also aren't a lot of "mid major" teams located near New Mexico, so it isn't going to get a lot of recruiting attention. This kid doesn't fit New Mexico's offense. NMST signed 6 qbs last year, who I bet have some impressive highlight tapes as well. This kid's stats are probably based some on his competition, some on the offense he plays in, and some on talent. I didn't think he looked like a sure fire major conference player. Maybe he can get a look at a smaller school. Many of the smaller schools get a huge chunk of their commits closer to signing day.

Yeah I definitely agree more with you than with the NM Preps guy. The whole forced to walk on bit seems like a total pile of crap.

Keep in mind that most division 2 or 3 quarterbacks were pretty phenomenal high school quarterbacks. Maybe this guy just isn't D1 material and will need to go JUCO or D2 to start.
exactly. Maybe living in New Mexico they're not really aware of how many players he's competing against for D1 scholarships.

I don't buy academics if he has a 4.0 gpa, for get the core and the other stuff. Some of these schools, especially outside of the power 5 conferences can get a ham sandwich into school

I don't buy academics if he has a 4.0 gpa, for get the core and the other stuff. Some of these schools, especially outside of the power 5 conferences can get a ham sandwich into school

Nobody is getting anybody into any NCAA school if they don't meet the sliding scale ACT requirements and the core course requirements. It's not always a matter of intelligence - sometimes it's poor planning or not knowing any better.

Top Bottom