Dior Johnson commits!

Never know who wants to be an HC and who is happy where they are. Sawvel's making about $250K a year right now and worked his way up from D2 to the B1G. To get a promotion he'd likely have to take a pay cut and move back down a level unless a Power 5 school gives him a shot. Add to that the uncertainty that comes with that and the closeness of the staff and I could see him sticking around for a while

I can't really see him leaving for anything other then a power 5 DC job. I also won't be shocked if after next season he is one of the names that is in the mix for one of those positions when the coaching carousel starts spinning. Really don't think any of the coaches on the staff would take a job that was a step back in pay or prestige but promotions and coordinator positions are a different animal.

PiPress: U recruit Dior Johnson had strong, two-way senior season

New Gophers football recruit Dior Johnson used a strong senior season on both sides of the ball to give himself an opportunity to play in the Big Ten Conference.

Johnson was impressive at safety and wide receiver during his last season at Southfield High School near Detroit, two recruiting analysts said. It helped earn him a four-star ranking by Rivals.com, the highest mark of any player in Minnesota coach Jerry Kill's incoming class.

"We did not rate Johnson a four-star on a whim," said Josh Helmholdt, a recruiting analyst covering the Midwest for Rivals. "That kid went out and earned it over and over during the offseason and in his senior season."

Johnson retracted a verbal commitment from Wake Forest on Tuesday and committed to the Gophers on Wednesday.

"This is a huge, late pickup for the Gophers and a player who will add instant athleticism to their defense," said Helmholdt, who has 12 years recruiting experience.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_27421655/gophers-football-u-recruit-dior-johnson-had-strong

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: U recruit Dior Johnson had strong, two-way senior season

New Gophers football recruit Dior Johnson used a strong senior season on both sides of the ball to give himself an opportunity to play in the Big Ten Conference.

Johnson was impressive at safety and wide receiver during his last season at Southfield High School near Detroit, two recruiting analysts said. It helped earn him a four-star ranking by Rivals.com, the highest mark of any player in Minnesota coach Jerry Kill's incoming class.

"We did not rate Johnson a four-star on a whim," said Josh Helmholdt, a recruiting analyst covering the Midwest for Rivals. "That kid went out and earned it over and over during the offseason and in his senior season."

Johnson retracted a verbal commitment from Wake Forest on Tuesday and committed to the Gophers on Wednesday.

"This is a huge, late pickup for the Gophers and a player who will add instant athleticism to their defense," said Helmholdt, who has 12 years recruiting experience.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_27421655/gophers-football-u-recruit-dior-johnson-had-strong

Go Gophers!!

Seems a little surprising that Michigan and Michigan State don't have room for a top 10 in state guy but sounds like he has a chance to be a really solid player for us. Hopefully Harbough doesn't swoop in late and make a run at him.

Seems a little surprising that Michigan and Michigan State don't have room for a top 10 in state guy but sounds like he has a chance to be a really solid player for us. Hopefully Harbough doesn't swoop in late and make a run at him.

I'd only be worried if his dream was to play for Michigan. If it wasn't, and Harbaugh starts sniffing around, I'm hoping he'll tell them, "too late."

I'd only be worried if his dream was to play for Michigan. If it wasn't, and Harbaugh starts sniffing around, I'm hoping he'll tell them, "too late."

Easy for us to say, might be a little tougher for the kid if Jim Harbaugh is sitting in his living room telling him to play for his home state school. To be clear though I don't have any idea if he is even anywhere on Michigan's radar as a potential option in order to fill out the class. Glad he wants to play here, and hopefully he will be a great player for us.

I think that would be almost a certainty. However Claeys hasn't left in what 17 years so if I am in Sawvel's shoes it would be pretty tough to hang around as the heir apparent to a guy that has shown no real inclination to make a move. Assuming of course he has aspirations to be a DC or Head Coach at some point.

To be fair, I don't think Claeys had had many attractive HC opportunity's prior to now. There are now reports of him listening to offers and I think the day will soon come that he will be faced with the difficult decision of leaving for a solid Power-5 job or staying on as DC.

My guess is that neither of them view him as a top 10 player in MI or at least not as good as the other guys they've brought in

My guess is that neither of them view him as a top 10 player in MI or at least not as good as the other guys they've brought in

I can certainly see that from MSU's standpoint. Their class looks very strong. Michigan would be the dark horse some just because of the nature of the coaching change and the last minute scrambling that Harbaugh is doing in order to fill out his class before signing day. They still only have 9 verbals so I would expect there to be a fair amount of movement in terms of players committing there over the next few days and on signing day itself.

To be fair, I don't think Claeys had had many attractive HC opportunity's prior to now. There are now reports of him listening to offers and I think the day will soon come that he will be faced with the difficult decision of leaving for a solid Power-5 job or staying on as DC.

Totally agree, if the defense keeps performing the way it has been his name will start to creep up on the short lists for head coaching jobs. Maybe not at the high end power 5 schools but definitely at that second tier level school in those conferences.

I'm not too worried about losing Claeys, in the near future, because the current trend is to hire Offensive Coordinators. It's when the trend reverses and it becomes fashionable to hire the hot Defensive Coordinator that we need to worry. If Pat Narduzzi has quick success at Pitt the momentum could change.

Top Bottom