Dior Johnson commits!

die hard gopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Glad to get this young man on board. Welcome Dior.
Go Gophers!

Good offer list. Love it! Welcome!

This class is really shaping up. Each class gets better. Great choice, Dior! Welcome to the Maroon and Gold!

That jumps us to #6 in the Rivals team class rankings in conference. Brick by Brick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That jumps us to #6 in the Rivals team class rankings in conference. Brick by Brick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Granted that is also due to the fact we have so many players and other schools don't. But hey, sometimes its about perceptions.

Big, big pick up! Welcome Dior!

I think when Buford committed, it all but sealed Dior Johnson flipping and committing to us.

Great news! Welcome aboard! I think we should get used to good DB's wanting to play for coach Sawvel.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Great Get!

Now, let's just keep that DB coach happy here in MN cause he gets it done on and off the field.

Now, let's just keep that DB coach happy here in MN cause he gets it done on and off the field.

+1,000,000.....if there is one coach I would worry about being lured away from this staff it is Sawvel. His recent track record with DB's and work on special teams is going to make him an attractive option for some places and it won't shock me to see some high level DC offers start to come in here soon. He strikes me as someone who wants to be a head coach someday and the one bad thing about the loyalty on Kill's staff is that he will have to look outside the team at some point in order to keep moving up the coaching ranks because Claeys doesn't seem to be real motivated to take the next step and seems very happy in his current role.

+1,000,000.....if there is one coach I would worry about being lured away from this staff it is Sawvel. His recent track record with DB's and work on special teams is going to make him an attractive option for some places and it won't shock me to see some high level DC offers start to come in here soon. He strikes me as someone who wants to be a head coach someday and the one bad thing about the loyalty on Kill's staff is that he will have to look outside the team at some point in order to keep moving up the coaching ranks because Claeys doesn't seem to be real motivated to take the next step and seems very happy in his current role.

Completely agree. Make Sawvel one of the highest paid assistants (non-coordinator) in the country for all I care. I think his departure is inevitable, but try to keep him around as long as possible.

Welcome Dior to Gold Country!

Great job Kill & Co. as this is a big score for our program!

SKI-U-MAH and Go Gophers!

Completely agree. Make Sawvel one of the highest paid assistants (non-coordinator) in the country for all I care. I think his departure is inevitable, but try to keep him around as long as possible.

I agree, pay the man what it takes to keep him and create a job title if needed too.

I agree, pay the man what it takes to keep him and create a job title if needed too.

The good news is with the way assistant coach salaries are skyrocketing right now it may improve the odds of keeping a guy like him around longer if the school is willing to fork over the high salary. If the DB's have another great year next year (and with BBC and EM it seems pretty likely they will) I could see him being a hot name in coaching circles after next season.

I love big defensive backs. This kid has the stature of a Willie Middlebrooks. Hopefully he brings it like Willie did too!

Fantastic! Welcome to the U! I can't wait for signing day!

If Claeys ever left you'd have to think Sawvel would be next in line.

I wonder if at some point claeys would be given an associate head coach title and sawvel moving into DC role.

Never mind, apparently he got that title last offseason and I wasn't paying attention.

I think that would be almost a certainty. However Claeys hasn't left in what 17 years so if I am in Sawvel's shoes it would be pretty tough to hang around as the heir apparent to a guy that has shown no real inclination to make a move. Assuming of course he has aspirations to be a DC or Head Coach at some point.

Very exciting news to sign Dior Johnson. Hope he has a great experience at the U

Never know who wants to be an HC and who is happy where they are. Sawvel's making about $250K a year right now and worked his way up from D2 to the B1G. To get a promotion he'd likely have to take a pay cut and move back down a level unless a Power 5 school gives him a shot. Add to that the uncertainty that comes with that and the closeness of the staff and I could see him sticking around for a while

Top Bottom