Q&A: College Decision Month or 2 Away, Carter Coughlin Talks Gophers, Ducks, Buckeyes

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: College Decision Month or 2 Away, Carter Coughlin Talks Gophers, Ducks, Buckeyes

Q&A: With College Decision a Month or Two Away, Carter Coughlin Talks Gophers, Ducks and Buckeyes
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/472120?referrer_id=388419

Carter Coughlin, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound linebacker from Eden Prairie, is considered the top in-state product from the Class of 2016. Coughlin helped lead the number one ranked Eagles to a fourth straight state title this season.

Gopher Hole caught up with Coughlin after the Eden Prairie-Bloomington Jefferson basketball game Tuesday night to learn the latest on his upcoming college decision.

Gopher Hole: You've narrowed your list of schools down to three. Is that correct?

Carter Coughlin: Yes, sir. My top three are Minnesota, Ohio State and Oregon.

Gopher Hole: How did you decide on those final three?

Carter Coughlin: Each one, I would say, just gives me a piece of whatever I would like. Oregon is pretty far out on the West Coast and they are obviously a top-notch program. Ohio State, national champions, they are still in the Big Ten. Decently close to my home and then obviously, home school, Minnesota, that is on the rise, so I thought that those three schools would be the best options.

Gopher Hole: Did you watch the National Championship game?

Carter Coughlin: Oh, yea.

Gopher Hole: Who did you root for? Did you root for either team?

Carter Coughlin: I did not. Honestly. I just hoped that it would be a good game.

Gopher Hole: Have you set a date when you might make a decision? I had heard possibly March.

Carter Coughlin: I am visiting Ohio State this upcoming weekend. I am going to stay overnight with one of the Buckeye players to get a chance to know the players and after that, I should be deciding pretty soon. I would say in the next month or two.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to do it at the school or have you thought that far ahead?

Carter Coughlin: No, I'll probably just call the coaches and then I'll probably just announce on Twitter. I'm not big on all this school stuff.

Gopher Hole: What are going to be the main factors that are going to make you pick School A over School B or C?

Carter Coughlin: Oregon, I got a super thorough tour of, so I know everything that Oregon has to offer. I never got a chance to tour Ohio State very thoroughly because I went out to the game and I had football and all that kind of stuff, so it was a short trip to watch their game and so, I'll get a full aspect of everything that Ohio State has to offer and then Minnesota, I'll get to know the players and all that kind of stuff. Once I can do all that kind of stuff, I'll be able to compare and contrast

Gopher Hole: Is there anybody that you have been relying on, family or friends, to help you with the decision?

Carter Coughlin: My parents. I used to joke about how my dad played at Minnesota and he is super biased, but he has been so supportive. He is really helping me figure out what I want in a college. Same as my mom. Then, my grandpa, I love to talk to. I love the opinion of my friends and stuff like that, too.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to be glad to get the decision done with?

Carter Coughlin: Absolutely. It is going to be really nice to get that out of my way and just focus on the rest of my high school and preparing for college, ultimately.

Gopher Hole: Do you hear from a lot of classmates? Do they ask you where you are going to go?

Carter Coughlin: Absolutely.

Gopher Hole: Do they have a preference?

Carter Coughlin: It varies so much. A lot of them only see in Oregon the glamour and why wouldn't you go there. Ohio State, national champs and a bunch of people say that they think that I am going to go Minnesota. Everyone has their own opinion, I guess.

Gopher Hole: When you make your decision, is it something that will just come to you or are you going to think about it?

Carter Coughlin: I'll be praying about it a lot and hope that God just puts on my mind which school, I am hoping that I just have a realization that is the school that I want to see myself at and can see myself at.

Gopher Hole: You have to feel, to be honest, pretty good about any of those choices?

Carter Coughlin: Oh my gosh, yes. I can't go wrong with any choice.

Gopher Hole: Does that make it any easier knowing no matter where you are going to go that you are going to have a good football experience, but a great education as well?

Carter Coughlin: Absolutely, it does. It makes the choice so much easier because I know that no matter what, I can't go wrong.

Good interview. Hopefully dad can give him a gentle (yet firm ;) ) push on what the right school is

Sounds like a great kid with his head on straight. STAY IN MINNESOTA! (But honestly, good luck wherever he chooses.)

Sounds like a great kid with his head on straight. STAY IN MINNESOTA! (But honestly, good luck wherever he chooses.)

If he doesn't pick us I really hope he picks Oregon so that we don't have two top in-state guys suiting up for the Buckeyes. Hopefully he picks us, but that is some still competition to be up against.

We'll be fine whatever he decides, but we can be great if he stays. We could have homegrown kids leading both the O and D to great success.

We'll be fine whatever he decides, but we can be great if he stays. We could have homegrown kids leading both the O and D to great success.

Would be great for these type of guys to help their home state as it would help us get over the hump as you clearly won't go wrong staying home.

I'm not sure how I feel about his decision to announce on Twitter only. Kind of get the feeling there is a reason for that. Like, he's learned not to do a big thing at a high school if he's not picking the hometown University. It's never done any good for anyone involved.

Even though my head tells me there is a great chance that he picks the Gophers, I can't help but overanalyze.

I'm not sure how I feel about his decision to announce on Twitter only. Kind of get the feeling there is a reason for that. Like, he's learned not to do a big thing at a high school if he's not picking the hometown University. It's never done any good for anyone involved.

Even though my head tells me there is a great chance that he picks the Gophers, I can't help but overanalyze.

I don't recall an Eden Prairie player ever doing an elaborate announcement. Has more to do with Coach Grant's style and leadership. Imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom