MN Daily Column: Next stretch of games season defining for Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

After victories over Rutgers and Illinois, though, Minnesota has started to fill the hole it dug itself into.

The next three games for the Gophers could easily influence where exactly the rest of this season goes.

If Minnesota remains the inconsistent team with an inability to finish games that fans have come to know, its chances of playing in the postseason are almost zero.

But if Minnesota can get on a roll before hitting the road to take on some of the Big Ten’s best, perhaps it could even produce an upset or two over that stretch.

Whether they like it or not, the Gophers’ season rests on just how well they play over the span of these next three contests.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-...-next-stretch-games-season-defining-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Sorry, but I'd say the first five conference games were season defining for this team. Because of them, they're going to have to start winning games they're supposed to lose in order to finish with even more than seven Big Ten wins in the regular schedule.

Sorry, but I'd say the first five conference games were season defining for this team. Because of them, they're going to have to start winning games they're supposed to lose in order to finish with even more than seven Big Ten wins in the regular schedule.

I agree, but that was always the case because we have nothing to show from the nonconference slate. Still excited about the season though. Young guys will continue to grow, and it's been fun to watch Hollins shoot the lights out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neutral-site win over Georgia about the only thing Gophers have going for them, non-conference wise. Bulldogs #24 in RPI and would really have to melt down in a mediocre SEC not to make the NCAA Tournament. Perhaps if Western Kentucky (#68) can keep tearing up Conference USA, that win could look decent at the end of the season, too?

All irrelevant, of course, if Gophers can't at least get themselves in position for a bid.

No room for error now. Must win the next three to have this season start to look serious again. If they get to 5-6 - then they need to start pulling upsets.

After that @ Indiana and Iowa- must be at least 1-1
Then Northwestern - win gets us to 7-7
Finishing stretch- @Wisky, @MSU and Wisky home go 1-2 there minimum
Beat PSU to be 9-9

9-9 with wins over (MSU or Wisky) and (Indiana or Iowa)

I still doubt that's enough. 10-8 is the ticket and it would mean a third really good Big Ten win would be in the resume

I could see them pulling one out against MSU. Breslin Center is always tough for us though.

No room for error now. Must win the next three to have this season start to look serious again. If they get to 5-6 - then they need to start pulling upsets.

After that @ Indiana and Iowa- must be at least 1-1
Then Northwestern - win gets us to 7-7
Finishing stretch- @Wisky, @MSU and Wisky home go 1-2 there minimum
Beat PSU to be 9-9

9-9 with wins over (MSU or Wisky) and (Indiana or Iowa)

I still doubt that's enough. 10-8 is the ticket and it would mean a third really good Big Ten win would be in the resume

Nice breakdown, I had done it the exact same way when getting to 9-9. If we do this, I think 2 wins in Indy has us feeling relatively safe. One has us sweating hard (maybe a first four game?)

Top Bottom