Gophers land two PWO commitments tonight

die hard gopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Herbers

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/2502784/highlights/195423387' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morse

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1726305/highlights/180220381' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

IIRC Tyrone Carter is very involved in the Apple Valley football program and gave the coaches a heads up about Davis Anderson who is now a PWO. Wonder if he did the same with Morse.

Go Gophers!!

Dear god someone tell that kid to go to Yale

I agree- if the Eli's figured out a way to give him a free ride, since they don't give out athletic scholies, he's gotta go east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacobs Herbers is 6'2" 195lbs and rated per Rivals 5.2 and two stars. That is a very high rating for a kicker.

I expect the Matthew Morse is the QB/WR from Apple Valley and not the offensive guard from Texas who is 6'0" 284 lbs with a 4.94 40.

I agree with you on that one, I mean I am thrilled the kid wants to play here, but if Yale is offering a full scholarship you take it.

I'm not sure how the Ivy League schools work when it comes to sports scholarships. I knew a couple of kids that went to play football and basketball at Harvard and neither received a complete full-ride scholarship to play even though both were starters on the team in the late 90s, early 00s.

Herbers

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/2502784/highlights/195423387' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morse

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1726305/highlights/180220381' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

IIRC Tyrone Carter is very involved in the Apple Valley football program and gave the coaches a heads up about Davis Anderson who is now a PWO. Wonder if he did the same with Morse.

Donny Dalton is an Asst Coach with Apple Valley and is one of Tyrone's best friends. I am guessing the two of them spoke with Coach Kill on Anderson and Morse. I know that Donny got Anderson working with Tyrone before his senior year.

I'm not sure how the Ivy League schools work when it comes to sports scholarships. I knew a couple of kids that went to play football and basketball at Harvard and neither received a complete full-ride scholarship to play even though both were starters on the team in the late 90s, early 00s.

They don't provide any "athletic scholarship" but other funds are often found depending on demographics and or academic performance.

They don't provide any "athletic scholarship" but other funds are often found depending on demographics and or academic performance.

True. While they have some of the highest tuition rates in the country, they are also the most generous with aid. Ivy League students graduate with some of the lowest amounts of debt of any school.

No kidding. What the hell is he thinking? Although Yale doesn't give athletic scholarships. So it may not have been a full ride type of thing, and what their scholarship didn't pay could be more than the U altogether...

I agree with the others on this thread. If Im the kids parent Im telling him to go to Yale. Im wondering if we are missing some information. Maybe it wasnt a full ride to Yale.

Turning down a full ride to SDSU to walk on at the U? Sure. Turning down a full ride (really any ride) to an Ivy? I don't get it.

Maybe the kid wants to play football at the highest level while also receiving a world-class education.

It's not like if he goes to The "U" he's destined to work in at Walmart for the rest of his life.

Maybe the kid wants to play football at the highest level while also receiving a world-class education.

It's not like if he goes to The "U" he's destined to work in at Walmart for the rest of his life.

Also, if he is smart enough, he can continue his education just about anywhere he wants after his football days.

Plus maybe money isn't an issue for him or his family to go along with UU and GII's points.

I would have gone to Yale if I had the same opportunity.

However, the chance to play football in the Big 10 is priceless. If he goes to the U and excels in the classroom, in 4/5 years from now, his resume is going to look impressive. It also really helps to be able to sit in an interview and say "oh yeah, I played in the Big House". If it's a matter of getting a high paying job after graduation, he wouldn't have a problem. That doesn't even factor in the "life experience" of going to the U and playing college football. I know a lot of people who would pay a lot of money to have that kind of life experience.

Like I said, I'd go to Yale. But playing football for a good school in the Big 10, that'd be awful appealing.

PS: I'm ecstatic to have both kids on board!

I know a little bit about Matt Morse.

He was a really good HS football player who just doesn't seem to have an obvious position playing in the Big 10. That said, he was really good. He is the kind of walk-on that will be much better than his measurables. I'm not saying that he will make a big impact, you can't guarantee that with any recruit.

He's small and not extremely fast, so I'm not surprised that he didn't get any offers. However, he really is dynamic with the ball in his hands. He plays like a running back after the catch. He'll be in the mold of a Connor Krizincic (spelling?). He is a tad smaller, but he has really good hands. He did it all at Apple Valley (QB, RB, K, P, PR).

He's a different than Borchardt in playing style, but he reminds me of him in terms of being a really good HS football player. Borchardt will see PT throughout the rest of his career at the U (despite being 6'0" 195 lbs) and I think Morse will find a way to see the field bit too.

Some of you are overlooking the big point with Yale here. Yale costs $63,920. So he could spend $255,000 on college (more, I'm sure. Tuition is skyrocketing across the nation.) or he could attend another great school (Forbes' #1 rising school in the country) and play Big Ten football for a fraction of the cost.

Schools like Yale give an immense amount of money in aid. I'd bet the average Yaley leaves with a similar amount of debt to the average Gopher.

Can't believe all the hate on the kid for choosing the UofM over Yale. Maybe we are a better institution for whatever he wants to major in. Maybe he decided Ivy league wasn't the right fit for him. MAYBE he wanted to play at a higher level of football. We are in the B1G ya know.

He could still end up getting a scholarship in the future. Be glad he chose us over another school and we didn't have to dish out a scholarship.

Schools like Yale give an immense amount of money in aid. I'd bet the average Yaley leaves with a similar amount of debt to the average Gopher.

Very rich parents might help those kids leave with less debt.

Can't believe all the hate on the kid for choosing the UofM over Yale. Maybe we are a better institution for whatever he wants to major in. Maybe he decided Ivy league wasn't the right fit for him. MAYBE he wanted to play at a higher level of football. We are in the B1G ya know.

He could still end up getting a scholarship in the future. Be glad he chose us over another school and we didn't have to dish out a scholarship.

One of my best friends went to Yale and hated it there. He transferred to the U he next year and loved it. The kid is a football player and wants to play for a BIG school

Division-I sports aren't allowed to give away merit aid to athletes. You get athletic money or you get no money.

Can't believe all the hate on the kid for choosing the UofM over Yale. Maybe we are a better institution for whatever he wants to major in. Maybe he decided Ivy league wasn't the right fit for him.

I was going to say...Chemical engineering, management information systems, biomedical engineering, etc. are all areas of study that are top three in the country.

Top Bottom