Cornell

Gopher_Nutz

Reaction score
This statement sums it up.

“With the Minnesota weather I wasn’t able to get out and run as much,” Cornell said of his weight challenges. “I just lifted and ate all winter. I’ve started running more, working on my abs and doing more push-ups and pullups.”

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/471465

Yes, you sense some bitterness about losing him to tOSU, but still its a weak excuse.

BS. There are plenty of indoor tracks if you need to run. It sounds like a convenient excuse. Also, this has been a mild winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“With the Minnesota weather I wasn’t able to get out and run as much,” Cornell said of his weight challenges. “I just lifted and ate all winter. I’ve started running more, working on my abs and doing more push-ups and pullups.”

Yes, you sense some bitterness about losing him to tOSU, but still its a weak excuse.

He's going to be great if he can get a coach to light a fire under him. I know Meyer's staff is all world, but I wonder if they are willing to ride a kid to greatness if they can just recruit a self motivated one the next cycle.
He's going to have to pick a weight too which is going to take some soul searching, is he a speed LB or a DT?
In the end, I think he's probably more likely to become the next Willie Mobley, than the next Laurenitis.

He seemed to always be upset with the lack of spring football in Minnesota.

He's going to be great if he can get a coach to light a fire under him. I know Meyer's staff is all world, but I wonder if they are willing to ride a kid to greatness if they can just recruit a self motivated one the next cycle.
He's going to have to pick a weight too which is going to take some soul searching, is he a speed LB or a DT?
In the end, I think he's probably more likely to become the next Willie Mobley, than the next Laurenitis.

Adolphus Washington.

Yep, it's Minnesota's fault he got fat. Ok.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like Cornell as a Gopher, but the weight thing (between 230 and 270 lbs?!) combined with the Minnesota excuse is a cause for concern. Sounds like he was content with ESPN rating him the #1 player and got lazy. It'll be interesting following his career at OSU.

Isn't Minneapolis like one of the fittest cities in America? The amount of access to gyms is insane. Stark contrast to living in Green Bay <Insert 'sconnie fat joke here> or any other city I spent 6+ months living in on highway 29/94 since I have hit almost all of them.

Most guys do their conditioning indoors, especially in the Winter, almost regardless of where they go to school. Cornell was planning to do a lot of conditioning outside in balmy Columbus in January and February?

Most guys do their conditioning indoors, especially in the Winter, almost regardless of where they go to school. Cornell was planning to do a lot of conditioning outside in balmy Columbus in January and February?

Surely you aren't suggesting that sipping pina coladas on the shores of the Olentangy River in a Columbus winter isn't just like a Carribean vacation!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Cornell seems like a kid who peaked early, is unmotivated, and destined to have a forgettable college career. When I saw him play this last year he was a non-factor.

Cornell seems like a kid who peaked early, is unmotivated, and destined to have a forgettable college career. When I saw him play this last year he was a non-factor.

It will be interesting to see if he goes the route of Walker Ashley in 2006. I think the "peaked early" is a good analysis - motivation as well. Always an excuse.

He peaked his sophomore year. Committed as a Junior and had a fair campaign, His senior year was nothing special. He may have talent, but I never liked the all world 10th Grader. Give me a solid junior year and all whatever senior year. Or even late in the senior year. Its a crap shoot. I think Cornell was bigger and probably stronger than most 10th graders, but he now is going up against the best of the best. Good luck.

Yeah, you know how unmotivated those honor roll students who graduate high school early so they can leave home and start their forgettable college careers are. Taking six classes as well, he sure wants to get that college career over as soon possible to make sure all the pumping gas jobs aren't filled.

Without great effort he will get buried on the depth chart and Meyer will be bringing in kids just as good or better every year. Sink or swim!

I could be wrong, but I'd be very concerned about the excuse!

Mobley, W.L. Ashley? I hope not for Jason!

Time will tell.

Did him and Andre Hollins sit down and talk about lame excuses over winter break?

I could be wrong, but I'd be very concerned about the excuse!

Mobley, W.L. Ashley? I hope not for Jason!

Time will tell.

It is not fair to Mobley to lump him in with Walker Lee Ashley. Mobley was a fair to middling D-1 player. WLA was a tire fire.

For a Gopher comparison, it is like comparing Keanon Cooper to Sam Maresh (although Cooper did probably have a better career than Mobley- perhaps someone else can provide a better example).

If Connell cares about winter weather so much, why did he choose Ohio StateÉ

He seemed to always be upset with the lack of spring football in Minnesota.

Me too. I brought that up at a luncheon here in Florida the other day and they looked at me like I was insane...one even asked, well what do they do in the spring. When I said track, they were like...they can't do both...to which I responded...not in Minnesota.

It is not fair to Mobley to lump him in with Walker Lee Ashley. Mobley was a fair to middling D-1 player. WLA was a tire fire.

For a Gopher comparison, it is like comparing Keanon Cooper to Sam Maresh (although Cooper did probably have a better career than Mobley- perhaps someone else can provide a better example).

If Connell cares about winter weather so much, why did he choose Ohio StateÉ

+1 Cornell has already accomplished as much in college as WLA.

Guys who have college careers but don't live up to their ratings are way more accomplished than WLA.

This kid had no motor during his senior year. His effort was just terrible - IMHO. I would be surprised if he does much at TOSU.

Yeah, you know how unmotivated those honor roll students who graduate high school early so they can leave home and start their forgettable college careers are. Taking six classes as well, he sure wants to get that college career over as soon possible to make sure all the pumping gas jobs aren't filled.

You.

I like you.

Top Bottom