PiPress: Assistant McHale on freshman center Konate and recruit Nwankwo

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

On Konate:

“He’s really, really doing a lot of good things,” said McHale, who replaced head coach Richard Pitino on the call. “You watch film when he plays, he’s getting more and more comfortable out there. He just has to learn to stop fouling to be honest with you. He has to understand he can’t karate chop guys in the post. He rushes out on pick-and-rolls. He needs to slide his feet a little bit better, but he’s come a long way. From an offensive standpoint, he played really well at Nebraska. He gave us some really good minutes rebounding the ball for us (seven rebounds in 13 minutes). He’s come a long way. He’s got a bright future.”

On Nwankwo:

“Obviously losing two fifth-year seniors, we have a hole at that position a little bit,” McHale said. “Bu we’re excited about what Jonathan can bring to the table. He’s definitely got a college-ready body already. You put him through our preseason strength and conditioning program, hopefully he’s physically ready to play next year. He’ll have the luxury of developing behind Bakary and (6-9, 230-pound freshman) Gaston (Diedhiou). Hopefully, he’ll get some more experience as the year goes on. But he’ll be a very good player for us. He’s got all the tools. He just needs to learn the speed of the college game.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...chale-freshman-center-konate-recruit-nwankwo/

Go Gophers!!

Bakary is coming along well enough, but, based on what I have seen this year, if Nwanko is also playing behind Gaston, then we probably have another Josh Martin situation on our hands.

Well, what is he going to say? 'Our incoming freshman is light years ahead of the 2 guys already here?'
Gaston doesn't even know the plays yet (per Pitino's postgame comments) so evaluating his play is difficult.
Probably you're wrong on the Josh Martin analogy. Certainly about a year premature in speculation.

Bakary is coming along well enough, but, based on what I have seen this year, if Nwanko is also playing behind Gaston, then we probably have another Josh Martin situation on our hands.

Are you predicting that he would transfer out? Or just saying that Jonathan isn't going to be ready for the collegiate game?

Bakary is coming along well enough, but, based on what I have seen this year, WHICH IS 7 MINUTES MAXIMUM OF GASTON if Nwanko is also playing behind Gaston, then we probably have another Josh Martin situation on our hands.

Wow and I thought Martin was premature in making his decision.....

Color me nervous about the post position next year.

Yeah, OK, the sample far too limited for any real judgment, but I haven't seen anything encouraging at all yet. I realize that he is new and still very likely has significant language difficulties, but he doesn't move that well either. In admittedly very little exposure, he just looks big.

Yes, someone who isn't even here yet is already thinking about transferring out. We have so much trouble finding things to talk about after a win...

At the very least Konate has started to look like he knows where he should be out on the court. It's a small step but it's good to see him moving with a purpose, rather than missing defensive assignments or cluttering up the spacing on offense.

Top Bottom