North Carolina and Wake Forest agree to unique non-ACC home-and-home

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The North Carolina Tar Heels and Wake Forest Demon Deacons have achieved a scheduling first: The ACC schools announced Monday they have agreed to a home-and-home nonconference series in 2019 and 2021.

This is the first time two Power 5 teams from the same league have agreed to face each other in nonconference play. The games will not count in the league standings.

"This is a unique opportunity to play a regional rival in years that fall outside the normal conference rotation," North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham said. "We have a long history with Wake Forest that has historical value and will generate interest within our fans."

North Carolina and Wake Forest are in separate divisions in the ACC and no longer play annually. Because of that, the two have only met four times since 2004.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rest-demon-deacons-agree-nonconference-series

Go Gophers!!

Not sure I would want to meet Ohio State in the years we are not scheduled to play them.:confused:

I would love to battle for the Jug in seasons when we don't face Michigan in the conference schedule. In fact I believe the schools briefly talked about having Michigan be the first opponent at TCF (in a non-conference game) but Delaney put a stop to that.

I'd rather see a team from a different conference, especially in the ACC or B1G where perception seems to be that those two conferences are weak. Gives you a chance to log a win against one of the other major conference teams. In my dream world, our schedule includes 8 B1G games, and 1 game each against the other Power 5. If we don't make the playoff, don't let soft scheduling be the reason.

Didn't this happen once in BB with Mich/Mich St a few years back?

I would love to battle for the Jug in seasons when we don't face Michigan in the conference schedule. In fact I believe the schools briefly talked about having Michigan be the first opponent at TCF (in a non-conference game) but Delaney put a stop to that.

I'd rather play PSU for the Mayor's Cup.

If Jesse would have made it for 'the belt' it would be a traveling trophy worthy of the others.

Is it too late to replace it?

Top Bottom