Athlon: Briean Boddy-Calhoun might be one of the nation’s most underrated defenders.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon's early preview of the Big Ten:

3. Minnesota
The Golden Gophers were a win against Wisconsin away from playing for the Big Ten championship. Can Minnesota take the next step in 2015? In order for coach Jerry Kill’s team to contend for the West, improving the passing game and finding a replacement for running back David Cobb is atop the spring priority list. Quarterback Mitch Leidner is an effective runner (452 yards, 10 TDs in 2014), but he completed only 51.5 percent of his throws last year. Adding the passing game concerns is the departure of standout tight end Maxx Williams to the NFL. Although Cobb’s sheer production from last season (1,629 yards, 13 TDs) will be tough to replace, Rodrick Williams and Berkley Edwards have showed flashes of potential in limited work. Linebacker Damien Wilson, safety Cedric Thompson and cornerback Derrick Wells are big losses, but the defense should be a strength. Cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun might be one of the nation’s most underrated defenders.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo..._medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#!dBvWax

Go Gophers!!

Briean has big time intangibles IMO (great instincts, etc.). He could very well go in the second round if he has some very good workouts this spring.

Briean has big time intangibles IMO (great instincts, etc.). He could very well go in the second round if he has some very good workouts this spring.

Assume you were going for next spring since he is coming back (thank god). We should be very strong at the CB position next season with BBC and EM, probably the strongest duo I can ever remember us having on the outside. If we can get to the point where the defense can generate significant pressure it could make it even tougher then it already is to throw against us.

Assume you were going for next spring since he is coming back (thank god). We should be very strong at the CB position next season with BBC and EM, probably the strongest duo I can ever remember us having on the outside. If we can get to the point where the defense can generate significant pressure it could make it even tougher then it already is to throw against us.

Oh, I totally agree. BBC and EM, we should have no worries on the outside.

Troy S. and Michael Carter were pretty underrated their Senior years. I thought they were a great combo. That series from Michael Carter against Purdue two years ago(?) where he had three straight pass breakups, then a Pick 6 was one of the greatest CB series' in college football I have ever seen.

Oh, I totally agree. BBC and EM, we should have no worries on the outside.

Troy S. and Michael Carter were pretty underrated their Senior years. I thought they were a great combo. That series from Michael Carter against Purdue two years ago(?) where he had three straight pass breakups, then a Pick 6 was one of the greatest CB series' in college football I have ever seen.

Oh you mean this one?! It never gets old.

Haven't watched that in a while, that was an awesome sequence. Of course the whole thing probably never should have happened as that first pass should have been the pick 6. :)

Agree that this could be a very spectacular year for BBC, with teams appearently not testing Eric Murray via the pass as much. With Maxx gone, someone will have to pick up the role for being our guy who makes sportsenter's top 10 the most time. My vote is for him.

One of my favorite moments as a Gopher fan. As the announcer stated.........one of the most impressive defensive series that I've ever seen........NFL or NCAA.

If they win next year, it'll be the old "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" deal. IMO, BBC is the biggest "star" on the team at this point. There's star potential waiting in the wings, but as of right now, BBC is the top dog.

If they win next year, it'll be the old "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" deal. IMO, BBC is the biggest "star" on the team at this point. There's star potential waiting in the wings, but as of right now, BBC is the top dog.

Says who of any significance? Just the opinion of a cheerleader?

Top Bottom