Q&A: Jarvis Johnson Looking Forward to Playing With Mason, McBrayer and Dorsey

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jarvis Johnson Working for 4th State Title, Looking Forward to Playing With Mason, McBrayer and Dorsey
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/470873?referrer_id=388419

Jarvis Johnson, a 6-foot-1 senior point guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, committed to Minnesota in September and signed with the Gophers in the early signing period.

Johnson helped lead the Islanders to its third straight Class AAA championships in March as they finished 26-3 last year and won its last 23 games. He is hoping to tie a Minnesota state record with a fourth straight title this season.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Johnson about his senior season and impressions of his future team.

Gopher Hole: You got off to a little bit of a slow start team-wise and individually against Morgan Park and their star guard Marcus Lovett, who had 26 first half points as they led by ten at the break. Did that make you want to pick up your game in the second half?

Jarvis Johnson: Oh, yeah. It did. I didn't want to make it a one-on-one type game, but he played excellent. I have much respect for him for that game. He made some big shots, but at halftime, we talked about him being the guard that he is, that we had to back up a little bit. Just contain him. Don't overpressure him and just get out in transition.

Gopher Hole: You have had some tough non-conference games so far, Apple Valley and North Scott and Morgan Park in the Timberwolves Shootout. How much do you think those games are going to help you get ready for conference play and hopefully another strong run in the playoffs?

Jarvis Johnson: It helps us a lot, mainly because we might have one of the toughest non-conference schedules this year. It is going to help us a lot, in the long run, because you just have to be ready to play every game, tough or not. Come out hard and defensive pressure and get out in transition as well.

Gopher Hole: Was it important to win this game because you came up a little bit short in those other big contests?

Jarvis Johnson: Yes, it was. Trying to make a statement. Out of town teams think that they can come into Minnesota, especially being from Chicago and come and beat us, but we tried to make a statement.

Gopher Hole: You have a lot of senior leadership. Do you think that is important in a game like this when you got down by double figures, but you were able to come back?

Jarvis Johnson: Yes. That is big-time, mainly because not a lot of guys have been through that before, so I had to pick up my leadership.

Gopher Hole: You've had a chance to watch the Gophers a lot. What has been your impressions been of the team so far?

Jarvis Johnson: Always good things. They started out slow, but hopefully, they will get a few wins here in conference play and finish the season strong.

Gopher Hole: I'm sure that you are focused on the guard play. What have seen of that and how you can fit into that next year?

Jarvis Johnson: Nate (Mason) has been playing well. Nate has been getting out in transition, hitting open jumpers. I think that hopefully next year, I can get the start and do what I can do best.

Gopher Hole: They will lose two seniors who play a lot in Andre Hollins and DeAndre Mathieu, so it will be you, Nate and Kevin (Dorsey). What relationship do you have with those guys and how do you think that will help you for next year?

Jarvis Johnson: Me and Nate have a good relationship. Dupree (McBrayer) as well. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to Kevin, but I have heard good things about him and I know that he is doing well this season. Hopefully, he'll get a state championship, too.

Gopher Hole: You are going for a fourth straight championship. Not many kids can say that. I think Lawrence McKenzie is the only other player to do that. What would it mean to win that fourth title?

Jarvis Johnson: It would be a loss for words. Me and Lawrence actually talked about that not too long ago. I just want to say that I won four state championships in a row.

Top Bottom