According to ESPN BPI-we're in...

Well I'll say this next three we should win. Gets us to 5-6. If we can grow a pair on the tiad and beat either Iowa or I4 than beat NW. Will be 7-7. Than the next three get hard

We're 2-6. 10 to play, 5 each on road and at home. Win the 5 at home including win over the big red machine WI and go 2-3 on the road we get back to par. That's the up hill battle this club has given the self-dug trench it excavated.

Well I'll say this next three we should win. Gets us to 5-6. If we can grow a pair on the tiad and beat either Iowa or I4 than beat NW. Will be 7-7. Than the next three get hard

Agreed. I know it's a tall task but if we can get to .500 in conference play I think we're back in business...An extremely (unlikely but hey, anything can happen right?) difficult task

Interesting. That is one surprising set of rankings. I remember last year, though, arguing that BPI was crap when it had us too low.

We're 2-6. 10 to play, 5 each on road and at home. Win the 5 at home including win over the big red machine WI and go 2-3 on the road we get back to par. That's the up hill battle this club has given the self-dug trench it excavated.

When you think of it like that, it's actually really depressing.

We legitimately need to find a way to go 9-9 and make a finals appearance in the conference tournament or we're done.

Until this team can prove they're halfway competent on the road, there's no reason to expect the NCAAs. Need to take things one step at a time, but they've been dreadful away from home and that's what going to cost them long term imo.

Until the selection committee indicates it uses metrics like KenPom & ESPN's BPI as measuring tools for seeding and selecting (at-large) teams, there's really not much reason to pay attention to 'em as they relate to tournament selection. Not saying the RPI is the best measure, but until I hear otherwise it's the one I'll pay the most pay attention to because that's the one the committee seems to trust.

Gophers currently #87 in RPI, for what it's worth.

We legitimately need to find a way to go 9-9 and make a finals appearance in the conference tournament or we're done.

I think if the team goes 9-9 and gets even one conference tournament victory, they likely will be selected.

To go 9-9, the team would have to go 7-3 the rest of the way. Even if they won all five games against the lowest opponents (PSU (2), Nebraska, NW, and Purdue), they would still have to win two of the following:

Wisconsin (2)
Mich State, away
Indiana, away
Iowa, away

I don't see the team pulling this off, but if they did, I think the team crosses the threshold and won't need more than one Big Ten tournament win. Remember, if the team finishes 9-9, they are probably seeded somewhere around 7th or 8th and start the tournament with a pretty fair opponent.

I think if the team goes 9-9 and gets even one conference tournament victory, they likely will be selected.

To go 9-9, the team would have to go 7-3 the rest of the way. Even if they won all five games against the lowest opponents (PSU (2), Nebraska, NW, and Purdue), they would still have to win two of the following:

Wisconsin (2)
Mich State, away
Indiana, away
Iowa, away

I don't see the team pulling this off, but if they did, I think the team crosses the threshold and won't need more than one Big Ten tournament win. Remember, if the team finishes 9-9, they are probably seeded somewhere around 7th or 8th and start the tournament with a pretty fair opponent.

At this point, I just have a hard time believing that 8 B1G teams are making the tournament. I think we're probably looking at 6 with an outside chance at 7. So 9-9 could do it, but I think we'll need to make a pretty good push in the conference tournament to get over the hump.

At this point, I just have a hard time believing that 8 B1G teams are making the tournament. I think we're probably looking at 6 with an outside chance at 7. So 9-9 could do it, but I think we'll need to make a pretty good push in the conference tournament to get over the hump.

I don't think 8 will get in but I would say that there is a very good chance that 7 get in. They have picked 7 teams when the conference was only 11 teams and they picked 7 teams two years ago when the conference was only 12 teams.

I know some people think that the Big Ten is much weaker this year, but even if that is somewhat true, I don't think that will make much difference in the number of teams selected. The tournament has to pick 68 teams and if it picks only 6 Big Ten teams, that will put too much pressure on the NIT, with only 32 openings, to pick more Big Ten teams than it would probably want to. Right now the Big Ten is #4 among conferences in the Sagarin Ratings. The conference ranks ahead of the SEC and the Pac 12 and has virtually the same point rating as the #3 ACC.

I don't think 8 will get in but I would say that there is a very good chance that 7 get in. They have picked 7 teams when the conference was only 11 teams and they picked 7 teams two years ago when the conference was only 12 teams.

I know some people think that the Big Ten is much weaker this year, but even if that is somewhat true, I don't think that will make much difference in the number of teams selected. The tournament has to pick 68 teams and if it picks only 6 Big Ten teams, that will put too much pressure on the NIT, with only 32 openings, to pick more Big Ten teams than it would probably want to. Right now the Big Ten is #4 among conferences in the Sagarin Ratings. The conference ranks ahead of the SEC and the Pac 12 and has virtually the same point rating as the #3 ACC.

Why would the NCAA care about putting pressure on the NIT?

Wisconsin (2)
Mich State, away
Indiana, away
Iowa, away

Wouldn't mind going up to Dayton, Ohio on cold, blustery Tuesday night in March!

Top Bottom