GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 1/25/15

DL65

Reaction score
Mike Max filled in for Dave Mona on today’s Sports Huddle. Coach Kill spoke at length about Reed Larson (Sp?) and his many contributions to the team and the impact the late Regent had on the football program, including a generous donation for the future training facility. There was also a lot discussion about football recruiting.

1) Mike Max opened the show asking “how are things going?” and mentioning a touchdown made by David Cobb in yesterday’s Senior Bowl: Kill responded, laughing, “I’m sitting at my house visiting with recruits.”

As to the touchdown by David Cobb, Coach Kill said he, his staff, and recruits caught some of the game on television. They were also busy watching Minnesota defeat Illinois (79-71) in men’s basketball at Williams Arena. He said official visits on weekends are very busy with tight schedules. He said - later in the show - winning the basketball game and being able to see the enthusiasm of the crowd helps recruiting.

2) Sid said he knew he couldn’t give names of recruits but two wide receivers committing recently to the Gophers had to make him happy: Kill replied, “We hope so.”

Kill then talked about the hectic pace and the uncertainty of recruiting in the final days before Signing Day: “The way things go now, players flip.” This afternoon Kill will fly to four different states trying to retain some of their commitments.

As an example of players flipping late in the recruiting process, Kill cited the recent switch by a defensive end that had committed to Nebraska and has now given a verbal to Michigan.

3) Mike Max asked what types of questions are raised by the recruits during their visits: First, Kill said it’s important that they get a recruit in for an official visit. If they get a recruit to visit, he believes they’ve got a chance of getting a commitment.

Some of the questions are related to their respective position(s), opportunities of playing time and how soon, educational and employment opportunities in the Twin Cities. The coaching staff also shows the recruits the architectural plans of the proposed football facilities: “All those things are important.” And that’s when he mentioned the importance of attending a home basketball and seeing the fans enthusiasm.

The visits are also extremely important for the coaching staff as they try to ascertain “Who fits; who doesn’t.”

4) Sid, once again, asked about the players/recruits that have enrolled in school: Kill – this week – gave the names of Charlie Rogers, brothers Jacob and Julian Huff and Tyler Moore.

Sid then exclaimed, “and (Jeff) Jones:” Kill answered, laughing, “He’s here. We’re keeping him hid.”

5) Mike Max asked about Maxx Williams’ potential as a pro in the NFL: Kill quickly replied, “I Think he’ll be great . . . I think he’s the best tight end coming in the draft.”

6) Sid then cited the impressive improvement in the team’s academics. Minnesota is second in the Big Ten behind Northwestern, according to Sid: “We have great teamwork,” said Kill. He then cited Reed Larson, Jackie Lynch, and others for the team’s success academically.

Kill spent a lot of time talking about the many contributions to the team and the school by Reed Larson, “He got us started.” He was referring to the donation that he made to the team for academics, including equipment: “We wouldn’t be where we’re at without Reed Larson.”

7) Sid asked about the importance of walk-ons and Jacques Perra, a walk-on quarterback: Kill responded, “Jacques Perra has done a nice job . . . came in and did good things.” (Kill sounded pleased and excited when discussing Perra’s progress and potential as a Gopher quarterback.

As to the importance of a successful walk-program, Kill said, “Recruiting is an educated guess . . . No can tell what will happen the next four years . . . That’s why walk-ons are important.” (Kill said some players mature early and, in some cases, peak earlier than other players.)

8) Mike Max’s final question was related to rushing speed by their running backs such as David Cobb: Kill said they run a lot of the ten-yard bursts in practice. He went on to say the first ten yards are important, as most running backs don’t gain ten yards on most plays. They look for backs that can change directions quickly, have quick bursts, have strength, and can visualize. He said it’s important that cornerbacks can do all of the above, and David Cobb had all of the above necessary attributes. He concluded, “NFL people like his (Cobb) sturdiness.”

Go Gophers!!

Great notes as always DL. I think the name of the guy who got them going was David Larson, the Regent who recently passed away.

The gift referenced was from former Regent David Larson - and not Reed Larson, the former blue liner.

Was $15 mln, FYI.

Thanks for the update. Without you I would be left on the sidelines.

Thanks DL for a great job all of us appreciate.

Thank you for your comments of appreciation and correcting my error of misnaming Mr. Larson - David not Reed.

Go Gophers!!

DL you allow me to sleep in every Sunday and I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks DL. It was nice to have someone different (Mike Max) asking questions so it isn't the same questions every Sunday. I really liked the one about what questions recruits ask.

Top Bottom