TCF Bank Stadium to host Minnesota Wild game in February 2016

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Minnesota is finally getting its outdoor NHL game.

The NHL announced Saturday at the league's all-star game in Columbus that the Minnesota Wild will host the Chicago Blackhawks in a Stadium Series game at TCF Bank Stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota next season.

Minnesota had long sought an outdoor game with the influx of such games each NHL season with the Winter Classic held on New Year's Day and two Stadium Series games. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman had said plans were being made for Minnesota to be included but the game didn't become a reality until Saturday.

The Wild will play at TCF Bank Stadium on Feb. 21, 2016. The Colorado Avalanche will host the Detroit Red Wings the following weekend at Coors Field in Denver for the second Stadium Series game. Boston will host the Winter Classic next season, the second time it's been awarded the New Year's Day game.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...ks-in-outdoor-game-at-tcf-bank-stadium-012415

Go Gophers!!

Glad they didn't use Target Field, baseball stadiums for hockey makes no sense to me since the seating arrangement is not compatible with the shape of a rink.

If I were king for a day I would have TCF set up with the rink perpendicular to the field in the home end for better sight lines (yes it would be a tight fit). Add clear dasher boards like the old Civic Center and temporary stands on the visitor side. Sell about 30,000 seats. Leave it that way for two weeks in mid-January. Host North Dakota and Wisconsin. Let the Wild play too if they want. Do this every year. If it caught on, add a split series with Michigan and Michigan State in-between.

Perfect time to do it since the Vikings will need to replace the football field in the spring per their agreement,

I assume this will be part of Hockey Day Minnesota. Although the 21st appears to be a Sunday, so maybe the High Schools and Gophers play Saturday and Wild on Sunday...

I assume this will be part of Hockey Day Minnesota. Although the 21st appears to be a Sunday, so maybe the High Schools and Gophers play Saturday and Wild on Sunday...

Nope Hockey day is in January

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope Hockey day is in January

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard an interview where there were discussions about making it part of hockey day and doing it later next year, but this would be pretty late in the high school season.

Glad they didn't use Target Field, baseball stadiums for hockey makes no sense to me since the seating arrangement is not compatible with the shape of a rink.

It's the uniqueness about it (which I kind of like) and i'm assuming their waiting for Target Field when
they're going to finally let us host a Winter Classic, rather than giving it to Boston and Philadelphia again...

Good exposure, but outdoor hockey blows. Fan involvement, banging on the glass, that's what it's about.

I heard an interview where there were discussions about making it part of hockey day and doing it later next year, but this would be pretty late in the high school season.

That weekend is the Girl's state hockey tournament, at least it is this year, so no outdoor girls game for Hockey Day.

Good exposure, but outdoor hockey blows. Fan involvement, banging on the glass, that's what it's about.
I disagree, it's a different kind of involvement when you're outside. Everyone around us at the Gopher game vs. OSU last year was having a blast and it was 5 degrees that day. And sitting on the glass is the worst, You can't see most of the ice and can't watch the play develop.

I disagree, it's a different kind of involvement when you're outside. Everyone around us at the Gopher game vs. OSU last year was having a blast and it was 5 degrees that day. And sitting on the glass is the worst, You can't see most of the ice and can't watch the play develop.

Totally agree! The Gophers/OSU game last year was a blast! My wife kept asking if they were going to have another one this year...and now we have next year on the docket already. Great environment for a game.

Top Bottom