WR Rashad Still Commits to Gophers!

It's a Pig Man!

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fantastic! I know he doesn't have a single DI offer or an evaluation on any of the sites but this probably my favorite commit! I just absolutely love athletic 6-6, small forward-esque receivers. This is only his second year playing football and had over 700 yards and 12 receiving TDs this year. Also has an 89.8% GPA and his mom is in the army so he is a good kid. Also Nebraska and Illinois asked for his transcripts this week and wanted him to take a visit so I'm glad we got him committed before everybody finds out. Actually I don't think he had a profile on any of the 4 recruiting services up until a week ago so he is extremely under the radar. Some division II kids here in the metro have recruiting profiles.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1414106/highlights/170157379' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

6-6/6-5 Still, 6-5/6-4 Register, 6-4 Gentry, 6-3 Holland, 6-3 Gant, 6-3 Wolitarsky and at TE 6-4 Anywanwu and 6-3 Gibson. Also have Wozniak but I don't know how much he'll contribute in the future.

6-6/6-5 Still, 6-5/6-4 Register, 6-4 Gentry, 6-3 Holland, 6-3 Gant, 6-3 Wolitarsky and at TE 6-4 Anywanwu and 6-3 Gibson. Also have Wozniak but I don't know how much he'll contribute in the future.

With all due respect, you don't know how any of those players will contribute in the future so you might as well list Wozniak as well.

Forgot Lingen. 6'5". Played the most of any TE on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does that mean that the local school, UTEP, was not even interested?

Fantastic! I know he doesn't have a single DI offer or an evaluation on any of the sites but this probably my favorite commit! I just absolutely love athletic 6-6, small forward-esque receivers. This is only his second year playing football and had over 700 yards and 12 receiving TDs this year. Also has an 89.8% GPA and his mom is in the army so he is a good kid. Also Nebraska and Illinois asked for his transcripts this week and wanted him to take a visit so I'm glad we got him committed before everybody finds out.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1414106/highlights/170157379' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

MN definitely has a need at WR. Welcome to MN Rashad. I hope you have the same impact that another (Ahmand) Rashad had in MN many years ago.

Forgot Lingen. 6'5". Played the most of any TE on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't forget. Lingen only caught 15 passes as a senior. The other TEs are primarily receiving threats. Lingen is along the lines of Goodger and Plesk and is and probably always will be a blocking only TE/H.

Should also add that the 2013 Missouri team that went 12-2 had starting receivers of 6-4, 6-5 and 6-6.

Watching his video I'm surprised that he didn't have more offers, he's huge, he's athletic, decent blocker, there's lots to like. Welcome aboard!

The link takes me right to the pay wall

That's my bad, guess it's not free. I signed out and was still able to access it so I assumed it was free.

The part about it that is cool is that his mom is a single parent who is in the military and has had tours of duty in Afghanistan so Still has been taking care of himself and his brother for much of the past two years. He seems like a great kid.

Matt Humbert's breakdown

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/1/24/7886243/minnesota-football-recruiting-rashad-still-commits

Still has only been playing football for 2 years, as he was much more of a basketball player up until last season. That's a common tactic of this staff when evaluating prospects on the trail: getting a sense of overall athleticism and specifically leaping ability by watching them play other sports, namely hoops. Ultimately, Rashad fits into what this staff has been moving towards with their wideout targets: bigger bodied receivers who can win aerial battles and make life easier for QBs with a big catch radius. As an added bonus, Still's frame should also serve well as an edge run blocker -- and you all know how important that is to an offense than runs the ball roughly 70% of the time.

Still is very raw but has the height and arm length that made the staff take notice. He'll need to work on improving his entire game, starting with strength and explosiveness but also to avoid body catching and getting a better release off the line. Rashad is a redshirt candidate while he gets acclimated to a college S&C program and learning proper WR technique.

MN definitely has a need at WR. Welcome to MN Rashad. I hope you have the same impact that another (Ahmand) Rashad had in MN many years ago.

Damn, beat me to it. I was wondering what Bobby Moore's number was at Oregon. I think it was 24. No, just checked. It was 23. Close.

Watching his tape, I'm more impressed with his blocking than anything else. He's sh#t-canning guys all over the field. Let's bulk him and make him Maxx's replacement

Should also add that the 2013 Missouri team that went 12-2 had starting receivers of 6-4, 6-5 and 6-6.

Maybe Stills can turn out like the similarly unheralded Mizzou tight end, Michael Egnew. Egnew came to Mizzou as a 6-5 200 pound wr with no other offers. Left as an all american tight end and third round draft pick.

Made some nice catches with a defender covering well and I agree 100% with his blocking. He was a man among boys in that respect. I hope he develops quickly.

Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0;1017395 I hope he develops quickly.[/QUOTE said:
I think this is a huge project. He does have raw athletic talent but I was hoping they would have gone the route of local talent who is more of a possession receiver similar to what we have seen in Fruechte or Decker. We have had a few misses on athletic receivers who just couldn't run routes or get open. The fact he has not a single offer from anyone really is astonishing that could be a starter in the big ten in a few years-- hope I am totally wrong on my hesitation on him

I think this is a huge project. He does have raw athletic talent but I was hoping they would have gone the route of local talent who is more of a possession receiver similar to what we have seen in Fruechte or Decker. We have had a few misses on athletic receivers who just couldn't run routes or get open. The fact he has not a single offer from anyone really is astonishing that could be a starter in the big ten in a few years-- hope I am totally wrong on my hesitation on him

I'm always reminded that they took several short term solutions at WR right away in their 2011 class over some raw and athletic types like NIU's Jewan Brescacin who has had back to back 6 TD seasons. Still might not contribute for 3 years but it's possible if they can mold him a bit that he ends up a monster in the redzone.

You just said you'd rather have a local guy like Fruechte or Decker, they also had no offers. Why does it matter if the kid is from MN?

Think you are right to be hesitant given the lack of local interest in a guy that size. On the flip side no real harm in taking a shot at a project guy to see how he develops. Maybe you strike gold in a few years or maybe he just fades into obscurity as a roster guy/practice guy. We have enough young guys at WR that hopefully he can come in and sit for a few years, develop, and who knows maybe he ends up becoming a weapon at some point down the line.

I can take Dr. Don's corny jokes. But this offer list CRAP really gets to me. There was a guy named Karl Mecklenburg who was a 12th round pick by Denver and played in 6 pro bowls. He was not recruited at all and came here as a walk on. Decker was what, a 2 star? Was Maxx a 4 star? No. So don't worry about their stars. Go back a few years and look at the Parade All American team. How many of those guys were stars in college?

One of the reason that he is a "under the radar" guy is that he didn't start playing football until his junior year. As a investor I really like under the radar investment/contrarian situations. I can always tell when I have found one because I start drooling. I am drooling now so I hope this indicator also works in recruiting. ;)

Top Bottom