WR Rashad Still Commits to Gophers!

And Brown decommitted. Register is an under the radar guy with few offers. That supports my point. Yeah Holland picked up some late offers and got bumped up the ratings late. Still was under the radar most of the recruiting cycle. Look at the wrs we are after this year and have a shot at. Theyre all under the radar, I don't know how anyone could argue that.

Brown didn't have the first semester grades for his senior year.

Only on Rivals. Neither are even top 100 running backs on Scout, 247 or ESPN.

Not even really talking about the recruiting sites. Brooks just had a huge senior year and would have had more offers if he wasn't solid to the U and Femi-Cole was must the MVP of an All-Star game in South Carolina.

Not even really talking about the recruiting sites. Brooks just had a huge senior year and would have had more offers if he wasn't solid to the U and Femi-Cole was must the MVP of an All-Star game in South Carolina.

Fair enough.

All I know is he has some real potential to be a 1-on-1 nightmare for opposing defenses. There aren't a lot of kids you can say that about.

All I know is he has some real potential to be a 1-on-1 nightmare for opposing defenses. There aren't a lot of kids you can say that about.

Height at the WR position is great to have but it takes more then just size to make a guy a matchup nightmare for defenses. He still has to be able to create separation and run good routes. A good DB can negate a couple inches of height if the WR doesn't have the other tools of the position to make him into a weapon.

Height at the WR position is great to have but it takes more then just size to make a guy a matchup nightmare for defenses. He still has to be able to create separation and run good routes. A good DB can negate a couple inches of height if the WR doesn't have the other tools of the position to make him into a weapon.

Your point has merit, though I would argue in redzone situations there is less a good DB can do to negate height and thus makes his size that much more attractive (simply put you CANNOT teach height and to have it is more advantageous than not to have it). I do not expect this kid to be Julio Jones year one BUT I feel as soon as he hits the field, it gives opposing defenses something to gameplan against which is something Kill has yet to be able to brag about at the WR position. The only thing we dont yet know of him is his catching ability. Highlight reels of course only show completed passes and he made some very nice ones, but one thing that sometimes plagues bigger WRs is hands in traffic. So I hope that is not an issue for him and am very excited to see him on the field whether or not he ends up red-shirting (just my guess is he does not).

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I can take Dr. Don's corny jokes. But this offer list CRAP really gets to me. There was a guy named Karl Mecklenburg who was a 12th round pick by Denver and played in 6 pro bowls. He was not recruited at all and came here as a walk on. Decker was what, a 2 star? Was Maxx a 4 star? No. So don't worry about their stars. Go back a few years and look at the Parade All American team. How many of those guys were stars in college?

Stars matter. All of the comparisons show that.

Watched the kids Hudl video. Made me wonder where that quarterback ranks. Clearly understands how to throw a jump ball in the endzone and there was one play where he took a snap at shotgun and the ball bounced twice on the way to him from center and he still threw a touchdown. Pretty impressive.

That would assume we are going to pass in the redzone. We ran a ton of QB sneaks, but with Mitch as big as he is, he is hard to stop.

Agreed. I am not saying he is our ONLY redzone option. I am saying that his size becomes even more advantageous in redzone situations. BTW, the redzone starts at the 20 yard line so a QB sneak at the 18 is not very likely. You assume that we wont pass since we have a bruising QB. But if you accept that sometimes we MAY pass in the redzone, I bet you then would see why being a tall WR is so advantageous. Again just to be clear, NOT OUR ONLY OPTION, but a very favorable one.

Agreed. I am not saying he is our ONLY redzone option. I am saying that his size becomes even more advantageous in redzone situations. BTW, the redzone starts at the 20 yard line so a QB sneak at the 18 is not very likely. You assume that we wont pass since we have a bruising QB. But if you accept that sometimes we MAY pass in the redzone, I bet you then would see why being a tall WR is so advantageous. Again just to be clear, NOT OUR ONLY OPTION, but a very favorable one.

Height really only comes into play if you have a QB that can accurately throw it in a place where only the tall receiver can go get. If the tall guy doesn't have great body control the shorter/faster DB can eliminate the size advantage. Your not wrong in saying that height is an advantage but simply being tall won't make this kid into a factor for us. He has to be able to use that size in conjunction with everything else. Everything about this kids profile screams project, but if he pans out he could certainly develop into a weapon in a few years.

Height really only comes into play if you have a QB that can accurately throw it in a place where only the tall receiver can go get. If the tall guy doesn't have great body control the shorter/faster DB can eliminate the size advantage. Your not wrong in saying that height is an advantage but simply being tall won't make this kid into a factor for us. He has to be able to use that size in conjunction with everything else. Everything about this kids profile screams project, but if he pans out he could certainly develop into a weapon in a few years.

Nothing I have said goes against anything here. My post did not claim for him to become anything beyond what we already know about him (he is tall and tall WRs have advantages in the redzone). We do not yet know how good his hands are yet, we don't know how well he can run routes, and we do not know how fast he is compared to B1G talent. But what we do know is everything else held constant, 10 out of 10 coaches would prefer to have a 6'4" or taller WR to throw to in the redzone (even if it just makes the D have to gameplan/account for it) and we now have a player who fits that physical build, whether or not it ever pans out on the field is yet to be seen.

I hope they are able to establish a strong jump pass inside the 20, but we rarely pass in the redzone. Usually we rush with the option inside the 20s out of the shotgun and usually rush under center inside the 5. I only see 22 pass attempts in the red zone all last year. We converted 6 TDs when throwing inside the redzone though, so I think we can do it effectively. Unfortunately all 6 touchdowns left the team when Maxx declared for the draft.

13-22 6 TDs, 1 INT

Limey said possibly. Sounds like he is kicking butt in practice.

WR would definitely strike me as a position where someone could come in and earn playing time really fast since there is little to no proven talent in that group right now outside of Maye and he isn't exactly a world beater. What concerns me a little from the outside looking in is that we hear about Still, or JJ, or Streveler, being options at WR but don't seem to hear much about the redshirt guys and in some cases seems like they are being passed on the depth chart. Will be interesting to watch that position group against TCU to see who is getting the bulk of the reps with the offense.

The practice I went to seemed to confirm everything that the staff has said and others have written about. He's a huge target, fast, very "springy" in his movements and has great ball skills. If the staff feels he has the mental part down, let's go. This staff's ability to identify under the radar talent is fantastic.

WR would definitely strike me as a position where someone could come in and earn playing time really fast since there is little to no proven talent in that group right now outside of Maye and he isn't exactly a world beater. What concerns me a little from the outside looking in is that we hear about Still, or JJ, or Streveler, being options at WR but don't seem to hear much about the redshirt guys and in some cases seems like they are being passed on the depth chart. Will be interesting to watch that position group against TCU to see who is getting the bulk of the reps with the offense.
I think Gentry has had all kinds of problems staying healthy.

Top Bottom