Gophers Fall, 2-1, To UMD in NSCC Consolation

Reaction score
In what felt like another must-win game, the Gophers played well at times but allowed the go-ahead goal with just 2:11 left in the third against Minnesota Duluth. Minnesota would go on to lose their second game of the NSCC, this time by a score of 2-1.

Deflated
It’s no wonder the Gophers were frustrated with the loss. Playing an in-state rival and dominating a tied game in the final minutes, Minnesota felt like they gave the game away. Kyle Rau noted that the team felt “deflated” and I can certainly see why after this current streak.

I can’t really put my finger on why this team can’t score at times. Even when they win puck battles or make the perfect pass, they have trouble finishing. The Gophers have players who have scored at every level but, as a team, they are really snakebit. As a coach, Don Lucia saw some positive signs from his team but realizes that one goal won’t be enough most nights.

“Any time you lose it disappointing,” said Lucia. “As a coach you try to look at the big picture and try to stay positive. It’s that confidence when you play, the confidence when the puck is on your stick that you can finish your chance. I like the way we did a lot of things tonight but when we have a chance, we have to finish. That was the disappointment for me.”

Late-Game Woes
The Gophers didn’t look great but I thought they looked much better on Saturday than against MSU. Especially in the third, Minnesota was dominant. They jumped on a powerplay chance just 31 seconds into the third to tie the game. The Bulldogs mustered just two (2!) shots on net in the final 20 minutes, one of which ended up as the game-winner.

“The third period we had chances to win the game,” said Lucia. “The puck bounces off our stick or we shoot a puck wide. Then, at the end, we don’t get the puck out of our own zone"

Not On Wilcox
Although he gave up six goals on the weekend, Adam Wilcox played well throughout. He made some huge saves on Friday and on Saturday to keep the Gophers within striking distance. The winning goal by UMD was on a draw won by Minnesota but a couple turnovers in the defensive zone left a Bulldog, Adam Krause, free in front of the net.

“I thought Adam looked real sharp in net tonight,” said Lucia.

By the Numbers
3 Total goals for Minnesota on the weekend. Won’t win too many games averaging 1.5 goals.

2 Shots for UMD in the third period, one of which ended up as the game-winner.

24 Saves by Adam Wilcox who kept his team in the game throughout.

Three Stars of the Game
#3 Alex Iafallo notched two assists.
#2 Duluth native, Dominic Toninato, also had two helpers.
#1 Adam Krause scored both UMD goals.

What’s Next
The Gophers will travel to Madison next weekend to take on the Badgers for a two-game stint. Friday’s game is at 8:00 while Saturday is back at the normal time of 7:00 CT. Both games will be aired on BTN.

Don better get us into the tournament. Any time a team with as many advantages as we have misses the tourney, his seat should be really hot. Imagine if Coach K started missing March Madness.

The only way the Gophers get to the tournament is by winning the B1G tournament.

My guess is we miss out, Don keeps his job, and we continue to have flashes of greatness (like last year) with nothing to show for it, and flashes of really lazy, inmates-running-the-asylum style play (like this year). Wish he'd be gone already, we need a coach that will hold these superstars' feet to the fire when they're not performing, and recruit guys that want to be playing college hockey, not guys that simply want to avoid ruining their payday.

The only way the Gophers get to the tournament is by winning the B1G tournament.

My guess is we miss out, Don keeps his job, and we continue to have flashes of greatness (like last year) with nothing to show for it, and flashes of really lazy, inmates-running-the-asylum style play (like this year). Wish he'd be gone already, we need a coach that will hold these superstars' feet to the fire when they're not performing, and recruit guys that want to be playing college hockey, not guys that simply want to avoid ruining their payday.

This! How the heck can you have a roster of 16 NHL draftees and be this bad?! I gotta believe (as noted by Gopher07) that these kids are just going through the motions and biding their time until they get to the NHL.

This! How the heck can you have a roster of 16 NHL draftees and be this bad?! I gotta believe (as noted by Gopher07) that these kids are just going through the motions and biding their time until they get to the NHL.

The thing I really can't figure out is many of these kids could have been gone after last year if they wanted to. When they all decided to come back, I figured that meant they were really motivated to compete for a title. I don't know if they lost their edge and assumed that since they all came back, everything would just be handed to them, but our compete level has been miserable.

Hard to say now bc with the way they're playing many of them are ruining their shots at playing in the league mor eimmediately. Fasching looks lost, Skjei cis looking rough on D, and even Reilly is making some plays no defenseman should make. It's really baffling and just a few examples

Top Bottom