WCCO radio talent still bitter about losing Gophs

Aren't these guys the home of St. Thomas football? I'd be a little bitter too if I was covering D3 sports.
If they were really bitter about it, wouldn't they have become the Minnesota 50,000 watt radio home of Wisconsin Badgers football and basketball?

When I was a young kid my family had Boone and Erickson on every morning. Man they were great. Miss that old show.

Let's see - one statement is a prediction and the other is an opinion. I don't think we can consider either one to 100% correct (yet, in the case of the prediction). Both the men's hockey and basketball teams deserve some criticism for how they are performing, but what 'something-called' Steve Thompson said has an agenda.

I didn't listen to his remarks, but I bet he didn't dig too deep into the problems of both teams. Did he breakdown recent recruiting classes or styles of play? My guess is he just made some smart-ass remarks about the U because he thought he was being cute. I would welcome intelligent sports talk about the struggles of these two teams, but you won't find that in this market.

The big story this winter may be what is going on with our disengaged head hockey coach. Where are the journalists?

Basketball is awful. Hockey is beyond awful--the New York Yankees of
College Hockey are losing to Cleveland on a weekly basis. If these facts bother you, you won't find any media to listen to.

On topic, CCO was always more about coverage than quality. You could always get a signal, and there was a time, kids, where many cars, even into the 80s, only had an AM radio. (enough of them, that KQRS had a sister station on AM 1440--Just for people who drove cheap cars)

Now if a storm blows up after Midnight, you can listen to Boston WBZ. They used to have an Hobbs House with the iconic Franklin Hobbs.

'CCO may be bitter but how about that A##hole Paul Allen. Someone asked if he was more disappointed in Gopher hockey or basketball and that first class prick said "I don't care about either." Then get the hell out of town you phony Dick.

'CCO may be bitter but how about that A##hole Paul Allen. Someone asked if he was more disappointed in Gopher hockey or basketball and that first class prick said "I don't care about either." Then get the hell out of town you phony Dick.

Why does Paul Allen have to care about anything Gophers?

So why is Paul Allen even on the local air, to talk about Viking Footall 365 days a year? They guy is one of the most annoying people I have ever had he displeasure of experiencing on local media, and he rarely gets called out. His delivery is odd, he is full of pretension, his personal life seems to be in shambles, and his bias towards his bill paying masters is obvious.

Paul Allen is a compete fraud on all levels. His personal life speaks to that issue, as does his odd interactions with others , live on the radio no less.

If P.A is expected to be a shill for Viking only programming then the station needs to make it clear that the role of PA is that. Furthermore, Paul Allen should no longer make any comments on any non-Viking issue, but the ratings should decide that.

I do not know anyone that admits to liking any of the KFAN programming before the so called "Common Man' arrives at noon, though.

So why is Paul Allen even on the local air, to talk about Viking Footall 365 days a year? They guy is one of the most annoying people I have ever had he displeasure of experiencing on local media, and he rarely gets called out. His delivery is odd, he is full of pretension, his personal life seems to be in shambles, and his bias towards his bill paying masters is obvious.

Paul Allen is a compete fraud on all levels. His personal life speaks to that issue, as does his odd interactions with others , live on the radio no less.

If P.A is expected to be a shill for Viking only programming then the station needs to make it clear that the role of PA is that. Furthermore, Paul Allen should no longer make any comments on any non-Viking issue, but the ratings should decide that.

I do not know anyone that admits to liking any of the KFAN programming before the so called "Common Man' arrives at noon, though.

I'll ask again why does Paul Allen have to care about anything Gophers? Just because some overly sensitive Gopher fans want that isn't a reason.

College Hockey are losing to Cleveland on a weekly basis. If these facts bother you, you won't find any media to listen to.

On topic, CCO was always more about coverage than quality. You could always get a signal, and there was a time, kids, where many cars, even into the 80s, only had an AM radio. (enough of them, that KQRS had a sister station on AM 1440--Just for people who drove cheap cars)

And you had to turn the dial to get the station to come in right. Often with a lot of static...

Not quite true. You don't get a 68.1% share of the TC listeners without quality. That's twice the audience as all the other stations combined.

And six Peabody Awards for news excellence.

https://books.google.com/books?id=p...page&q=wall st journal and wcco radio&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=d...page&q=wall st journal and wcco radio&f=false

"Not quite true. You don't get a 68.1% share of the TC listeners without quality. That's twice the audience as all the other stations combined.And six Peabody Awards for news excellence."

68.1% was attained in 1962. Their Peabody's had more to do with their CBS affiliation and promotion. They had talent from Spies to Hobbs, anytime you turned on the radio. And had connections to actors, signers, politicians, Today's Sports Hero, Heck I can remember Al Shaver doing Gopher Hockey with Steve Cannon doing the color. There was a time Paul Giel was WCCO's Sports Director. They combined talent with an understanding of what 50,000 watts of Clear Channel meant in Minnesota. They also had Ray Christensen for 45 or more years doing Gopher Basketball and Football. I don't know the year that it all started to cave in but I would say it was when they introduced Dave Lee to the Market. Shortly Roger Erickson retired, Charlie Boone went to weekends, Steve Cannon retired. They had huge holes to fill and tried everything. The evening drive slot has never recovered, and Lee drives just about anyone form the radio.

I remember my dad trying to tune in WCCO for a Gopher basketball game from 200+ miles out. With a good radio, you could just barely do it. It must not have been on the local stations, the Gopher Radio Network must have improved over the decades, this had to have been in the late 70s.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

He sure as hell should, given that his employer covers Gophers football. He should be a damn professional.

If his employer allows him to produce his show or cover whatever subjects he wants on his show with no interference he does not have to care at all about the Gophers or even cover them if he so chooses. Whether that is non-professional is a matter of opinion.

Not positive about it since I don't listen to his show that often but I believe during the football season he does have Limegrover on weekly. Doesn't mean PA actual cares about the team but he does cover the Gophers some.

He sure as hell should, given that his employer covers Gophers football. He should be a damn professional.

Probably......but who cares. I simply turn off KFAN when his show starts.

If you want to hear Gopher coverage, Thursday's Power Trip (Gurdsy Thursday) and Barreiro is what you tune in to, and of course 8:00 Sundays during football season night be the best wrap-up.

If you want to hear Gopher coverage, Thursday's Power Trip (Gurdsy Thursday) and Barreiro is what you tune in to, and of course 8:00 Sundays during football season night be the best wrap-up.
I hated Gaard when he worked with PA and Dubay, but now he is my favorite over there. He still takes cheap shots at the U, but he knows the program and covers it well. PA? He has Limegrover and Gaard on to talk Gophers, but I don't think that is his choice. He could not sound more bored or disinterested.

I'll ask again why does Paul Allen have to care about anything Gophers? Just because some overly sensitive Gopher fans want that isn't a reason.

It's like these radio sports guys who make fun of fans for liking teams yet their career is following sports. Why should he care about the most important amateur teams in the entire state? Because it's the U of Minnesota. Why be in sports talk if you don't like the teams? When I say care, I don't mean he has to cheer for the team. But he should not say he could care less about them either. We don't tune in to hear about his sex life, his flirting with the Canterbury woman, his political views, his favorite breakfast cereal or his favorite condom flavor. We tune in to hear about our teams. And when he says he could care less, it pisses me off. Get another career, dumb head. And by the way, Allen, you are the Dave Lee of the NFL

It's like these radio sports guys who make fun of fans for liking teams yet their career is following sports. Why should he care about the most important amateur teams in the entire state? Because it's the U of Minnesota. Why be in sports talk if you don't like the teams? When I say care, I don't mean he has to cheer for the team. But he should not say he could care less about them either. We don't tune in to hear about his sex life, his flirting with the Canterbury woman, his political views, his favorite breakfast cereal or his favorite condom flavor. We tune in to hear about our teams. And when he says he could care less, it pisses me off. Get another career, dumb head. And by the way, Allen, you are the Dave Lee of the NFL

Many of the local sports media take great pride in proclaiming the are objective and do not favor the hometown team. They think it makes them more professional.

Pompous and bush-league if you ask me. It is possible to be both.............if some of them could only figure that out.

Just thought of another reason. Let's say Allen is hosting a call-in show on gardening and he announces at the start, "I don't care about gardening but I'll take your calls" how would that make sense. Or a program about travel and he says, "I never leave my home and I don't care about foreigners." It just doesn't make sense to be in that field and not care about the teams you cover. I'm not saying he has to shoot himself if the Gophers lose, but why declare you don't care? Someone asked for his opinion of the two teams lack of success and he said, "I don't care." It just hit me wrong, just like our friend scools12's question hit me wrong.

The guy is a first class a hole. I have several friends who have/do work for clear channel nary a good word to say. OK to your point few years ago the babbling stooge had Quincy on and he asked what it was like to sit out the NCAA tournament. And the splendid genius followed that up with what it was like playing for monson. Quincy handled like a pro. To your point and what others have said then he should not have on gopher guests on if he is going to be that lazy. I sent an email and to my surprise he responded and I quote"minor segment in the off season". Turned him off and have not listened since.

We don't tune in to hear about his sex life, his flirting with the Canterbury woman, his political views, his favorite breakfast cereal or his favorite condom flavor.
Apparently "we" do. His ratings are what keeps him employed and KFAN is doing very well in that respect.

Apparently "we" do. His ratings are what keeps him employed and KFAN is doing very well in that respect.

He may just be getting those ratings in spite of himself. P.A is the Vikings announcer, talking mainly about the Vikings, in a Vikings town on the Vikings flagship station. As long as those 4 things hold true he should be getting decent numbers.

Wonder how many people click away when he is talking about something besides the Vikings? Which could explain part of his on air persona.

He may just be getting those ratings in spite of himself. P.A is the Vikings announcer, talking mainly about the Vikings, in a Vikings town on the Vikings flagship station. As long as those 4 things hold true he should be getting decent numbers.

Wonder how many people click away when he is talking about something besides the Vikings? Which could explain part of his on air persona.
Like you said, it's a Vikings town the Gophers are not interesting to the majority of people in the market.

We don't tune in to hear about his sex life, his flirting with the Canterbury woman, his political views, his favorite breakfast cereal or his favorite condom flavor.

So we DO tune in to hear about his sex life, his flirting with the Canterbury woman, his political views, his favorite breakfast cereal or his favorite condom flavor?????

Top Bottom