Post game Pitino, Hollins, Mathieu and Groce "Hollins and Walker...best 2 players on

GopherLady

Reaction score
Post game Pitino, Hollins, Mathieu and Groce "Hollins and Walker...best 2 players on

...the floor today.

Here are all the notes. Groce praised our Walker and Hollins many time. Try to read through, Little Dre has some funny comments about tweets people send him. Also lots of Sidbits today. He kept on trying to nail down a time to interview Pitino tomorrow....
Pitino: Sure, I have a flight, what time is the show?
Sid: It's 2 hours
Pitino: No, I have a flight, so what time is the show on so I can coordinate.
Sid: You have a what?
Pitino: A flight, I'll land it if I have to (joking).

John Groce:
• This game reminded me a lot of our game at Ohio State in that the game was won in about a 7 minute period of time. They really imposed their will during that run. We had some sloppy turnovers during that run. That stretch did us in, give them credit. The best two players on the floor today without a shadow of a doubt, were Mo Walker and Andre Hollins. It wasn't even close. We had no answers for either one of those guys, Hollins the whole game, and Walker in the 2nd half.
• They were the tougher team, they set the rules, and Hollins and Walker were by far, the best two players on the floor.
• He's up there for sure, he can make them on a dead sprint off of screens, off a bounce. He's been doing that for a 3 game stretch. I told Hollins, I respect him and I've enjoyed competing against him. I think he competes.
• They were more physical on the glass

Richard Pitino:
Sid: You going to turn this team around?
Pitino: I hope so.
• We played great basketball for about 38 minutes, we played tough, we grew. Buggs provided a spark off the bench, team effort, Morris was great in the 1st half, Hollins and Walker were great.
• Physically we really battled rebounding the ball. We were battling physically today, they're a big team. To get those rebounds was great.
• Gas just is not ready yet. I'm telling him to get in a 2-2-1 and he's getting in man, it's ridiculous. Bakary is a good player, but he just fouls all the time. Buggs big thing, more than anything, is his approach on a daily basis. He's working on his game every single day.
• I've always thought Hollins was playing well regardless of the shooting slump. He's been a great leader and defender for us. Seeing the ball go in certainly helps. I know it sounds silly, but I really don't look at when the ball goes in the basket. I look at all the other things he brings, and he's brought a lot this year. What I really liked was 5 assists and 1 turnover. More than anything, Andre is realizing that the clock is ticking and he's going to make the most of this. We always stayed really positive.
• DeAndre - it seems weird bringing him off the bench. I just like him starting. The minutes, they're not really going to change. I don't know why I like him starting better, I just do. Maybe I'm just used to DeAndre starting and I like it better.
• On changing the starting line-up so much: The Michigan game to me, we were making these ridiculous mistakes and I thought guys needed to pay the price, but we don't have a lot of depth so there's only so much I can do.
• Mo's attitude - I think it was an attitude today. He was disappointed with himself after the Nebraska's game. He just battled today, and wanted to control his own destiny.
• Pitino to Mo Walker at the half - You've got to have more pride than that, you're a better player than that.
• On Randy Breuer. I'm young, I don't know when he played - I heard he was a great player, he's huge. I'm happy for him.
• Pitino: When did Breuer play? Media: 1982 Pitino: I was just born in 82. (Laughing)

DeAndre Mathieu:

• Never lose your confidence, my mama taught me that, Coaches taught me that.
• On the last shot attempt in the Nebraska game: It felt good. I thought it was going in, I just don't have good luck right now, as far as that. What was like 3 last second possessions that came down to me, and I haven't been successful. I'm due, I'm due for one to go my way. So the next close game, look for me to take it…I'm just kidding.
• On starting today: Felt like any other game
• On Pitino: I know he has confidence in me, it allows me to play more freely
• On the post game atmosphere: Happy. It's a totally different feeling around here when we win. A lot less hateful tweets. A lot less of those. Our fans are definitely passionate about their basketball. You can see a lot more smiles, we've got lights going and music going. Coach doesn't allow music and stuff after losses, so we were happy to be on the winning end.
• The worst tweets he's received: Somebody said that someone should punch me in the face last game. I was like "yo, what have I been doing to these people to make them so mean?" (Laughing). Somebody else said I didn't belong in the Big 10. I probably don't, I was at Morehead State, who knows (laughing). It doesn't have an effect on me, I think it's funny. I retweet half of them, or I "favorite" it. I'm playing Division 1 basketball, and they're sitting somewhere watching me play division 1 basketball.
• Somebody said someone should punch you in the face last game
• I'm playing division 1 bball, they're sitting there watching me play d1 bball.

Andre Hollins

• On shooting better: Staying with it, not losing confidence getting extra shots up, I know my teammates haven't lost faith in me. Tons of practice. Continue to practice hard, stay focused.
• On working on FT's after Huskers game: We've been working on our free throws a lot, it's just a mentality and concentration. I missed a few today. Free throws is really what matters at the end of the game.
• Pitino told them at halftime: Great effort, we have to continue to bring it home, we've got to make a run, guard the 3, because they shot really well today, that's what got them off to their hot start. Come out and get some stops.
• On the fans: I love it. The fans know how close we are, they don't lost faith. It would be different if we were losing by 20. We're losing these 2 point games, they know we're right there and sticking with us. We really appreciate that.
• At the half, he (Pitino) tried to get Mo going aggressively. Just trying to get him to physically be the best big in the Big 10. He needs to show that at all times. The 1st half he didn't show that, but the 2nd half he talked to him and he was like "I got you, I got you." He came out and he did what he had to do. He obviously knows the game, and how to be successful, he came out and dominated. Coach Pitino was saying he need to dominate his position. *
• On Rachel Banham's return: It's awesome. We talked about it.*She was telling me the positives and negatives and I was telling her my side. We both thought it was a good decision. (Did he encourage her to stay?) I was with whatever she felt like was the best thing. I'm with her, she made the decision. I was just there to support and give her the different sides. (You're the man behind the woman?") Yeah, something like that (smiling).

Pitino and Sid.jpg

Thanks again, Nadine. Part of the routine. As usual, get home, get on GH, and see your great recaps just up.

However, it looks like Andre's routine is not to go on GH after games.

"The fans know how close we are, they don't lost faith."

Thanks Nadine. I never miss your recaps. Much appreciated.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks again, Nadine. Part of the routine. As usual, get home, get on GH, and see your great recaps just up.

However, it looks like Andre's routine is not to go on GH after games.

"The fans know how close we are, they don't lost faith."

Thank you - it's posters like you who I stay after for! Lol - yeah...I think it's good he stays in that bubble....as I was even getting tweets that there was no point in watching them anymore.

Thanks Nadine. I never miss your recaps. Much appreciated.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you! :)

I hope Pitino works on getting arc on free throws. I noted Illinois really got good arc and we didn't seem to have that. Also, these games take forever. The refs seem to really slow things down. Take forever to give the inbounds guy the ball. What's with that/ And the Illini press was killing us. Joey King gets the ball, sees an open man, holds the ball and gets trapped. Hello. ALso, he's big on getting the ball and faking a three. How many times does a guy fake a three, drive closer and miss an easy shot?

I'm surprised there is not a single mention of Morris in this presser. Morris scored 16 points on 4 field goal and 6 free throw attempts. You can't get more efficient than that. This guy is quietly having himself a very fine Big Ten season. In conference games, Morris' PER ranks 13th among all players averaging 20 minutes or more in 6 or more conference games. He's right behind Petteway and directly in front of AJ Hammons.

I'm surprised there is not a single mention of Morris in this presser. Morris scored 16 points on 4 field goal and 6 free throw attempts. You can't get more efficient than that. This guy is quietly having himself a very fine Big Ten season. In conference games, Morris' PER ranks 13th among all players averaging 20 minutes or more in 6 or more conference games. He's right behind Petteway and directly in front of AJ Hammons.

+1

I hope Pitino works on getting arc on free throws. I noted Illinois really got good arc and we didn't seem to have that. Also, these games take forever. The refs seem to really slow things down. Take forever to give the inbounds guy the ball. What's with that/ And the Illini press was killing us. Joey King gets the ball, sees an open man, holds the ball and gets trapped. Hello. ALso, he's big on getting the ball and faking a three. How many times does a guy fake a three, drive closer and miss an easy shot?

I was actually surprised at how of some the IL big men shot their FT's.

I think the last 5 minutes took 30+ actual minutes.

Thanks GL.

Keep the Sidbits coming.:)

Always, and you're welcome.

He did say one thing, when he was commending everyone, just a quick bleep. But he wasn't really asked about him. Since Mo finished strong, many more questions about him. Morris kept us in the game that 1st half.

GW as implausible GH moderator keeps deleting my post, but please note Dre's comment about the importance of late game free throws. Please note that, to avoid falling into LNP's trap, he isnt talking about free throw percentage over the course of the game but rather situational free throw shooting

he had 13 of our first 17, the 3's looked comfortable and were coming in the flow of the offense, not forced. It seems like the game is slowing down for him and getting more controlled.

rebounding.

They are not a big team, they are average sized. We are undersized. They also are not a good rebounding team, and they havent been in the last 5-6 years. Glad to see we rebounded and played physical. Just saying they are not Michigan st. Liked a lot of everything else.

John Groce:

• They were more physical on the glass

Richard Pitino:
Sid: You going to turn this team around?
Pitino: .
• Physically we really battled rebounding the ball. We were battling physically today, they're a big team. To get those rebounds was great.

View attachment 3318

EE only gets a minute? I feel bad for EE and how he has regressed this year. He was very valuable especially without Mo for those 6 games.

Top Bottom