PiPress: Gophers target of federal gender equity complaint due to new facility

Abolish gender-sepcific teams.

Anybody can try out for track, wrestling, football, swimming.

Best man or woman wins.

Problem solved.

We are told "gender" is a a social construct right?

Your constant crap is getting old.

Very disappointed in the admin for not banning you.

Please go away.

I second your motion. I have never quite understood what Gopher Warrior's agenda is other than to post crap.

Maybe this is a brilliant ploy by Norwood to force the track teams to raise the money needed to build the new track near the village. No funding for any track right now if you read the 500 page planning document, much less one that would keep it close to the U. But if the track alum could raise $8-$10 mil...they could put the track on surface parking spots near Mariucci and build the underground parking under Nagurski as planned.

You want to save your track...do what the baseball team had to do and go out and raise the money....time to put up or hit the bus to St Paul!

Gender equity is about fair treatment, not equal treatment. Will track and field end up with new facilities? Maybe. Will the Olympic teams be able to access the training table and the academic center? Absolutely. Is that disparate treatment. Not in your lifetime (I try not to bet on my own). I am still waiting for my velodrome on campus, but that does not make it unfair treatment. I also never had a specialized center for combat simulation for ROTC, which is a requirement for our fair campus. The Armory is a joke. Where is the money for that. War is sport, isn't it!

Unfortunately, in order to build the facilities in an urban environment they need space for construction equipment staging and logistics in order to meet the construction datelines.

The only logical place available if you look at the map is the adjacent track and field.

The right thing to do is for the U to lease practice facility time from nearby high schools or colleges, and to provide adequate transportation to and from practice for student athletes and coaches.

Then, when they rebuild the U's track and field make them state of the art worth waiting for.

Maybe, as part of the U's final phases they ought to consider a huge parking ramp construction on nearby existing ground level parking lots in later phases.

You run into another nightmare of where those with contract parking are going to park while construction is ongoing.

The U is in bad need of more substantial parking ramps within the vicinity.

Also, you don't venture into tailgating lot spaces.

Someone is always going to be unhappy.

The outcome worth waiting for if done right for the athletes, the university, for recruiting, and bring pride to our flagship university and the entire state.

If we want to compete with other B1G schools and nationally, we have to ante up.

+100 This is the best post in this thread by far. This isn't a Left/Right, Liberal/Conservative, or Gender Equity issue. Apparently, both the men and women on the track team (including their coaches and supporters) are pissed off about the plan to relocate the outdoor track facilities to the St. Paul Campus. Who can blame them for feeling that way? Obviously, they are going to use whatever arguments and ammunition they can to make their case to the Administration, Board of Regents, and the general public. They would be extremely foolish not to play the Title IX card.

This isn't really about track and field. Yes, those folks may be complaining loudly, but the displacement of their stuff is not the real issue from a Title IX perspective.

The issue is providing what may be seen as unjustified or over-the-top better treatment of the football program under the ever-changing U's plans.

The arguments get trickier when you go from, "hey we're going to knock down Bierman.. even the Olympic sports folks are going to get great new upgrades!"... to what may appear to be a football Taj Mahal to some and putting most other sports on the backburner.

"Yes, football is getting great new facilities.. but so are a ton of different sports!"... now has turned into something different.

It'll be interesting to see how the U maneuvers through this one. The lack of vision, planning (from a priority and game plan perspective) and reasonableness ($190M, private funding) displayed so far is worrisome.

I'd like to see revenues allocated to building new football and basketball facilities pronto. That's a personal view.

I see how the way the U's plan has changed can be problematic from several perspectives.

Do you just cut/paste or do you actually waste your time retyping this garbage over and over?

Why you aren't perma-banned is beyond belief.

Apparently, both the men and women on the track team (including their coaches and supporters) are pissed off about the plan to relocate the outdoor track facilities to the St. Paul Campus.

That campus is 10 minutes away by inter campus bus. It takes less time to get there than walking across the Washington Ave bridge! Much more space over there for Track and Field facilities. St. Paul should not be the little sister to Minneapolis. They are "one" campus.

Unfortunately, in order to build the facilities in an urban environment they need space for construction equipment staging and logistics in order to meet the construction datelines.

The only logical place available if you look at the map is the adjacent track and field.

The right thing to do is for the U to lease practice facility time from nearby high schools or colleges, and to provide adequate transportation to and from practice for student athletes and coaches.

Then, when they rebuild the U's track and field make them state of the art worth waiting for.

Maybe, as part of the U's final phases they ought to consider a huge parking ramp construction on nearby existing ground level parking lots in later phases.

You run into another nightmare of where those with contract parking are going to park while construction is ongoing.

The U is in bad need of more substantial parking ramps within the vicinity.

Also, you don't venture into tailgating lot spaces.

Someone is always going to be unhappy.

The outcome worth waiting for if done right for the athletes, the university, for recruiting, and bring pride to our flagship university and the entire state.

If we want to compete with other B1G schools and nationally, we have to ante up.

I'm a track guy, love the sport. I've also been down at the u's track, it's awful.
I'm surprised the track team isn't ecstatic to get a new track in an area where they could spread out and potentially host major outdoor meets. Even with the inconvenience of a few seasons without a nearby practice outdoor facility.
I don't get it and frankly think this is more the work of the anti football crowd within the u's faculty.
As for parking, perhaps the U needs to revisit the potential for building bridges over the train tracks and open up the como ave neighborhood and warehouse area to parking. They also need to fight the city on private game day parking.

I'm a track guy, love the sport. I've also been down at the u's track, it's awful.
I'm surprised the track team isn't ecstatic to get a new track in an area where they could spread out and potentially host major outdoor meets. Even with the inconvenience of a few seasons without a nearby practice outdoor facility.
I don't get it and frankly think this is more the work of the anti football crowd within the u's faculty.
As for parking, perhaps the U needs to revisit the potential for building bridges over the train tracks and open up the como ave neighborhood and warehouse area to parking. They also need to fight the city on private game day parking.

Bridges over the tracks would be so awesome. Would drastically cut down the walk from como as well which is where I park for free every game.

Apparently there was a plan in place the railroad was willing to pay for but the U didn't get on board for whatever reason. Heard from a como ave business owner a few years back.

You seem to believe that you have more vision than everyone at the U, yet you can't seem to see that everyone here is sick of hearing you're same **** over and over and over.....

He's the smartest person around. Just ask him.

I would be interested to hear the opinion of someone that has legal training in this type of issue. Validity of the complaint , ramifications and potential outcomes of this complaint. I have zero experience or knowledge of how these complaints are normally resolved and how this might affect the facilities project moving forward. Therefore, I would be interested to hear the opinion of someone knowledgeable in this area.

People were wondering about the recent article that commented on Nebraska Football recruiting relative to Minnesota and the future. This almost comical situation is evidence of why it is hard to win in football at Minnesota. This "problem" would have been cut off before it started, or otherwise crushed at Nebraska, and even at Iowa State )and all SEC schools.

Mayble
" "

Swedish feminism - an historical blight that merged with the '70s gender obsessions and eventually was frozen into law. Posters are right - doesn't exist in most SEC states.

"Civil rights complaint cites pattern of gender bias in UMN athletics"

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27605079/civil-rights-complaint-pattern-gender-bias-u-athletics

"Pattern of gender bias?" Good grief. Can't name too many universities that will build a 20MM separate facility for a women's hockey team. Plus both the men's and women's track teams are inconvenienced for a bit. The reason for the 350MM TCF Stadium is because it costs that much to build a facility to hold 55,000 people. It's amazing to me how some people will fight something just for the sake of fighting without any rationale thought.

"Civil rights complaint cites pattern of gender bias in UMN athletics"

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27605079/civil-rights-complaint-pattern-gender-bias-u-athletics

"Pattern of gender bias?" Good grief. Can't name too many universities that will build a 20MM separate facility for a women's hockey team. Plus both the men's and women's track teams are inconvenienced for a bit. The reason for the 350MM TCF Stadium is because it costs that much to build a facility to hold 55,000 people. It's amazing to me how some people will fight something just for the sake of fighting without any rationale thought.

Logic isn't allowed once someone claims to be offended.

It's what happens when you keep tell 'people' how special they are.

Although the complaint alleges gender inequity, the plaintiff writes in the email to U athletes, "My intent was NOT to ignore the affect this is having on the men's team. I used the only means I could find to save the track facility."

So basically the plaintiff admits it's not a gender equality issue, but using Title IX is a possible avenue to get a new track built? Obviously, that's what the creators of the Title IX statute had in mind, right?

Swedish feminism - an historical blight that merged with the '70s gender obsessions and eventually was frozen into law. Posters are right - doesn't exist in most SEC states.

Get a clue. Swedish feminism and 70's gender obsessions are just two of the numerous reasons why most Minnesota citizens love living here and would never consider moving to an SEC state.

So basically the plaintiff admits it's not a gender equality issue, but using Title IX is a possible avenue to get a new track built? Obviously, that's what the creators of the Title IX statute had in mind, right?
My thoughts as well. Smh

Top Bottom