PiPress: Gophers target of federal gender equity complaint due to new facility

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Pioneer Press:

The University of Minnesota's athletics department is the target of a gender equity complaint filed through the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights, athletics director Norwood Teague said in an email sent to student-athletes.

According to several sources, the complaint is related to the U's Athletes Village project, specifically about a football "performance center" that will displace the men's and women's track and field teams.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Education said the Office of Civil Rights has "two Title IX investigations open at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. One involves sexual harassment and the other involves athletics."

In his email, Teague says the U has received a letter from the Office for Civil Rights informing the school of a complaint that "alleges discrimination in intercollegiate athletics on the basis of gender."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone think that Alabama or Tennessee had to go through this when they added on to their facilities?

This is an attack on the people by an occupying power.

wonder how they'd feel if the men's football and basketball programs went in the tank and weren't able to pay all the bills of literally every women's team in the school

Can't women play on the football team if good enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone think that Alabama or Tennessee had to go through this when they added on to their facilities?

We're better than the SEC because we don't do things the way we do or do we want to be more like them? It is never clear to me?!? The whole SEC thing aside, I have no idea if there are any similarities (i.e., did they move a track when they upgraded their facilities)? I'm not saying there is a legitimate case here but I'm always amused when comparisons like this get tossed out there.

The sad thing is I am totally not surprised to hear that someone is fighting this on the basis of gender equity. That has been an ongoing battle at the U back to when their used to be two departments. I am all for equal opportunities for men and women in sports but at the same time there should be some special treatment to the programs that pay the bills as well because if the women's sports or smaller men's sports had to support the department from a revenue standpoint there would be no department to speak of.

Let's just have intramurals. Screw gender equity.

Much ado about nothing. This stupidly naive attempt by some idiot to slow or stop the project has zero merit and will be tossed by the powers that be. Smh

This is the fundamental problem of Liberals, maybe some feminist rights folks in this case, thinking that success is a zero-sum situation. They take the short view of, if you take the track from us, you will gain at our expense. Instead of figuring out that if the biggest revenue sport succeeds that $ucce$$ will be shared with all of our sports programs, women's programs included. God that is dumb!

The sad thing is I am totally not surprised to hear that someone is fighting this on the basis of gender equity. That has been an ongoing battle at the U back to when their used to be two departments. I am all for equal opportunities for men and women in sports but at the same time there should be some special treatment to the programs that pay the bills as well because if the women's sports or smaller men's sports had to support the department from a revenue standpoint there would be no department to speak of.

It's the true meaning of teamwork. The world has gotten to me too much me me me.

It's why companies have team building events. To de-program employees that grew up being told every day how special they are.

My rant for the day.:cool02:

I could understand this is the women's track was moved or dismantled and the men's track wasn't....but they use the same track. Maybe the U should just cancel the money losing track program for both Men and Women and see how happy they are. No football, no Men's basketball, no sports of any kind.

Seems like a headline from the Onion, but if it's really stupid and involves the U of M, it has to be true.

Saw it coming if you are aware of anything from the past with MN athletics. Dumb part is they will not be affected by anything other than their track on St. Paul campus. Indoor and all other benefits will be part of the new facility or remain the same. No different than soccer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kill will love this. So much for being seizure free.

I'm guessing the person who filed this complaint isn't an Economics major.

But, now that I think about it a little longer, I'm feeling like I was treated inequitably also. I, like many others, spent my first year in the dorms. It started off as your normal college experience...until something happened that changed my life forever. I found out that a student on my floor got a bigger room because he paid more! Shouldn't I have a right to same facilities as that guy, even though he brought more money to the University?

I think this whiny hipster makes an excellent point. Help me out, is there some sort of advocacy group or federal oversight agency I can call? Anyone want to get a class-action lawsuit off the ground?

Good grief. I lose a little more hope for humanity every additional day that I'm on this Earth.

This is the fundamental problem of Liberals, maybe some feminist rights folks in this case, thinking that success is a zero-sum situation. They take the short view of, if you take the track from us, you will gain at our expense. Instead of figuring out that if the biggest revenue sport succeeds that $ucce$$ will be shared with all of our sports programs, women's programs included. God that is dumb!

Prove it's the liberals and feminists behind this. Take your politics somewhere else.

Because they are the only ones who believe killing the chicken that laid the golden egg so no one gets one will be more fair than seeing anyone get a golden egg by excelling in their field

Maybe they should file a gender equity complaint against fans who are more willing to show up and pay higher prices for men's athletic events than women's.

This is ridiculous. I understand it's not ideal for the track team, but you're not being disbanded.

And I would hope that the track coaches and team were given adequate notice that this was happening, so who exactly is filing this complaint?

Track and field people constantly complain that they don't get their share of the "glory" and haven't really for about 25-30 years now. Mostly from the Men's side. "The fastest man alive" only means something now if he can catch a football. There was grumbling about being moved "off campus" even though the St.Paul Campus still is "on campus".

Oh and there certainly a lot of whining coming from the Ag Department guys (damn feminists) over at Moo U about the jocks "taking their fields". Wouldn't surprise if they combined to figure out a way to stall or cancel things.

Top Bottom