Art Briles needs to just shut up & schedule somebody outside of conference

Nothing shows you belong in the playoff like losing your bowl game to a B1G team who couldn't even make their conference title game. I love seeing teams pay the piper for scheduling crap out of conference schedules. I know those games are scheduled several years in advance, so if he had scheduled some strong major conference teams who collapsed between the scheduling of the game and the playing of the game, I would feel a lot more pity. A lot of fans get mad at football and basketball teams who schedule weak opponents, but the only way to stop it is to have a postseason structure that penalizes teams for doing that.

They were left out and rightly so. They were given a gift by TCU as the Horned Frogs dominated all but the last 10 minutes. Baylor was not, in any way, one of the 4 best teams last year.

Instead of whining he should be happy about a great year that ended in disappointment. Beef up the schedule and stop crying.

Agree that football scheduling is much more difficult than basketball because they have to schedule so far in advance, but even so, if Baylor really wanted to upgrade their upcoming schedules, where there's a will there's a way. Teams back out of games/series all the time. Eastern Michigan just got out of a 2-game contract with MSU, and Sparty replaced 'em with BYU.

If Baylor really wants to play a respectable opponent in the next couple years, they could find a way to do it and get out of the SMU/Rice/1-AA opponent fiasco they set up every season.

Yea, but that 2019 matchup against Incarnate Word is sure to help their strength of schedule.

Agree that football scheduling is much more difficult than basketball because they have to schedule so far in advance, but even so, if Baylor really wanted to upgrade their upcoming schedules, where there's a will there's a way. Teams back out of games/series all the time. Eastern Michigan just got out of a 2-game contract with MSU, and Sparty replaced 'em with BYU.

If Baylor really wants to play a respectable opponent in the next couple years, they could find a way to do it and get out of the SMU/Rice/1-AA opponent fiasco they set up every season.

When you schedule SMU, Northwestern State and Buffalo you have no intention of playing anything other than a creampuff in the non-conf. Those teams are never good so yeah Briles has no one to blame but himself and whoever else is involved in scheduling the creampuffs. You know you are up against it already playing the Big 12 and not having a championship game so if you want to prove you belong on the big stage at least schedule someone that has a chance to be decent.

In 2017 they play Duke which is a slight upgrade over the crap they are playing now and for the next 2 years but even there Duke is usually a crappy football team that has been ok for the past few seasons.

to me there seems to be a flaw in who they put in. if a 4th seeded team with a 3rd string QB starting for them can destroy the #1 and #2 teams then obviously whoever decided who the 4 teams were is not doing their jobs.

Should Baylor been in it? I don't know but the undefeated team gets in and gets killed(maybe they should not have been in it)
the other two teams were ranked #1 and #2 maybe they should not have been in it

the problem is that it is still a guess at who is the best four teams are.

the one thing we can say is that the fourth team added to the group of 4 should have been there as they proved on the field that they were the best.

But if you asked Baylor fans and read their board, they claimed that their victory of Buffalo was equivalent to TCU beating us.

Why is he still whining about the playoff when TCU confirmed in the bowl that it was the best team in the Big 12?

It's so ironic that Patterson, the one who really has a right to whine, has handled it with class while Briles never shuts up.

to me there seems to be a flaw in who they put in. if a 4th seeded team with a 3rd string QB starting for them can destroy the #1 and #2 teams then obviously whoever decided who the 4 teams were is not doing their jobs.

Should Baylor been in it? I don't know but the undefeated team gets in and gets killed(maybe they should not have been in it)
the other two teams were ranked #1 and #2 maybe they should not have been in it

the problem is that it is still a guess at who is the best four teams are.

the one thing we can say is that the fourth team added to the group of 4 should have been there as they proved on the field that they were the best.

I feel like the selection committee got it right this year. TCU probably could have been in FSU's place but you can't leave out the defending National Champs when they are undefeated. Had TCU not choked away that game to Baylor things would have gotten really interesting. Big 12 is going to be in a rough spot with the way the current system is structured until they get enough teams to have a championship game again.

You can't look at the results and use that to decide who should have been there. Any power conference team that is undefeated during the regular season is a lock, unless there is one in all 5 power conferences. Florida St. was defending champs and undefeated (and the worst of the 4 teams). The crazy part is if you argue anyone else should have been there, Ohio St was the team who would be dropped and they were the best of the bunch. The selection committee did their best, and we all just have to live with it.

You can't look at the results and use that to decide who should have been there. Any power conference team that is undefeated during the regular season is a lock, unless there is one in all 5 power conferences. Florida St. was defending champs and undefeated (and the worst of the 4 teams). The crazy part is if you argue anyone else should have been there, Ohio St was the team who would be dropped and they were the best of the bunch. The selection committee did their best, and we all just have to live with it.

Much better than the old system which would have had Alabama beating FSU for the title. No southern/SEC bias there....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the Big 12 needs is the NDSU Bison. It's a perfect fit in terms of academics and prestige, plus North Dakota is a state full of grass and cows, with hardly any people. NDSU has baseball wrestling, basketball....anything else? Oh yeah, an obsession with football.

Like I said, a perfect fit.

What the Big 12 needs is the NDSU Bison. It's a perfect fit in terms of academics and prestige, plus North Dakota is a state full of grass and cows, with hardly any people. NDSU has baseball wrestling, basketball....anything else? Oh yeah, an obsession with football.

Like I said, a perfect fit.

Don't forget the "50/50 on beating Northern Iowa" requirement to be in the Big 12.

Next year SMU, Lamar, and Rice. 12 games and only three will they travel outside of Texas.

Yea, but that 2019 matchup against Incarnate Word is sure to help their strength of schedule.

This says all you need to know about Baylor scheduling right here. UIW has been playing football less than a half dozen years, is about 30% on all time wins, and went 2-9 last year in the freaking Southland Conference.

It is as close to playing Little Sisters of the Poor, St. Peters School for the Blind, or the state mental hospital as you can get. I fully expect them to book a home and home with the Little Giants and the Waco High JV squad in 2020.

This says all you need to know about Baylor scheduling right here. UIW has been playing football less than a half dozen years, is about 30% on all time wins, and went 2-9 last year in the freaking Southland Conference. It is as close to playing Little Sisters of the Poor, St. Peters School for the Blind, or the state mental hospital as you can get. I fully expect them to book a home and home with the Little Giants and the Waco High JV squad in 2020.

Hahaha. This was great Aggie! Thanks for the laugh! :clap:

Next year SMU, Lamar, and Rice. 12 games and only three will they travel outside of Texas.

They might be in a bit of a bind trying to max out on home games to pay for that blingy new stadium.

Baylor has an easy access to a National Championship. Schedule Texas A&M, Schedule LSU. Its not about anything else if you want access to the National Championship.

Top Bottom