Q&A: Hunter Register Talks Gophers Commitment and Opportunity to Play in Big Ten

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Hunter Register Talks Gophers Commitment and Opportunity to Play in Big Ten
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/469941?referrer_id=388419

Hunter Register, 6-foot-4, 195-pound wide receiver from Lafayette (LA) Comeaux, became the latest commitment for Minnesota when he announced his college choice Tuesday. Register is the only current wide receiver commit after Alonzo Brown re-opened his recruitment last month.

Gopher Hole caught up with Register Wednesday evening to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: You made your commitment official yesterday. What was the main reason that you decided Minnesota was where you wanted to play college football?

Hunter Register: I had been liking Minnesota. I was just worried about my family not being able to come to my games, but I got the family support that I needed. They said that they would be to all my home games, so that is what made me want to make it official. That is what really made me want to come.

Gopher Hole: What schools were you really considering at the end?

Hunter Register: Memphis, Tulane and Indiana.

Gopher Hole: A lot of Gopher fans were worried at one time that you would go to Louisiana Lafayette, where your brother plays basketball. They had offered you early. What happened with them?

Hunter Register: At first, they offered me really early and the basketball coach wanted me to play basketball and football and the football coach said that would be all right and two weeks later, he was like "that's not all right" and then he took the scholarship away.

Gopher Hole: Your brother plays college basketball. Have you always been more of a "football guy" or does it depend on the season and what sport you like the most?

Hunter Register: My freshman through junior year, I was doing them equal, but at the end of my junior year, I was looking at how good I was at football and how good I was at basketball and I decided to play football in college.

Gopher Hole: Were you getting many recruiting looks in basketball or did most people know that you were looking at football?

Hunter Register: I was up into my junior year, but then I told everyone that I wanted to play football and they kind of backed off.

Gopher Hole: How well do you know Alonzo Craighton?

Hunter Register: I know that he is from Louisiana.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to him much about Minnesota because he is Gopher commit and a Louisiana kid?

Hunter Register: We have talked since I have committed, but I never knew him prior. He is like two hours away from me.

Gopher Hole: What game did you come up for your official visit?

Hunter Register: Purdue.

Gopher Hole: What was your impression of your official visit?

Hunter Register: I really liked it. The nice thing about it was I didn't know when I was coming up, but it was homecoming week that week and it was a good game and the stadium was packed.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to watch Minnesota play much in the regular season?

Hunter Register: Whenever it did not conflict with one of our games.

Gopher Hole: What was your impressions of the team?

Hunter Register: I like what I saw. They could have beaten Ohio State. They just made their own mistakes. They made it to a bowl game.

Gopher Hole: I don't know how much they tell you about the program¸ but they have improved each year and the hope is that next year, they'll be even better than this year. Is that something that you are hoping to be a part of next year?

Hunter Register: Yes, sir, because the coaches are talking about that the running game is really strong and they are looking to upgrade their passing game and they are hoping to get more balanced¸ so that they can rush and beat you in the air.

Gopher Hole: This is a team that didn't pass a lot because they were such a good running team. Did that make you nervous that they didn't pass the ball as much as some of the other teams that were recruiting you?

Hunter Register: No, sir, because the coaches told me that it wasn't that they didn't want to pass. They want to get the passing game more involved and they needed some playmakers at the receiver position to help that. They want to rush for 250 yards and pass for 250 yards.

Gopher Hole: You played both sides of the field. Do you think that helps you as a receiver? As a defensive back, you knew what wide receivers were trying to do and as a wide receiver, you know what DBs want to do against you.

Hunter Register: Yes, sir because they try to use the technique of the route that you are running. They try to use route recognition sometimes and that can be successful sometimes if they are just playing a wide receiver, but if they are playing against two receivers, it can hurt you some because they might guess the wrong route.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction of your friends and family been about your commitment?

Hunter Register: They were really happy that I am going to be playing in the Big 10

Gopher Hole: Do kids from your school know much about Minnesota?

Hunter Register: They didn't before I committed, but they were looking them up that night and they were like "I'm happy for you" when they saw that they had a good season and were in the Top 25.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about a college major?

Hunter Register: I think that I am going into business.

Gopher Hole: How hard is it going to be to leave home and your family and friends?

Hunter Register: It will be hard, but my family will be coming up for the home games. It will be hard, but I have to do what I have to do.

Gopher Hole: I know that you said that you starting talking to Alonzo. Are you talking to any other recruits?

Hunter Register: Me and Demry (Croft) talk the most and we group text.

Gopher Hole: What has he been saying about Minnesota?

Hunter Register: He really liked it. He can't wait to get up there.

Gopher Hole: To me that shows that you are a pretty smart guy, because he is the quarterback and you want to be friends with the quarterback so he'll throw you the ball.

Hunter Register: Yes (Laughing).

Gopher Hole: What is your record in basketball?

Hunter Register: I think that we are 13-8. I missed five games that we lost because I played in two All-Star games.

Good interview and always nice to get a recruit with other Big Ten offer.

Top Bottom