Fran McCaffery demands apology from Dakich

As far as cheap shots go, this is pretty clever. Its much harder to prove intent on an eye poke than a punch, kick, elbow, etc. Plus getting poked in the eye probably affects the opponents game more than getting banged around a bit. Its pretty hard to shoot when you can't see. Until Fran or the NCAA comes down on this kid, he doesn't have much incentive to stop.

That being said it is possible to be "accidentally cheap," so to speak. I remember leg whipping a running back in high school after whiffing on a tackle. I dove one way, he cut the other, and I just instinctively swung my leg around and smacked him in the shin with my heel. I helped him up and apologized but I'm sure if you looked at the replay it looked pretty nasty. So I am willing to give players the benefit of doubt once or twice. Doing it three times in a short period of time is hard to defend though.

Wilbon on PTI just said the next opponent should bring a LB into the game and settle this the old fashioned way. Everyone I've heard talk about this has talked very badly about McCaffery.

Adam is not poking players in the on purpose. However he is reckless in the use of his hands on defense . He certainly is not making any effort to keep is hands a safe distance from other players eyes. Kinda like try to steal the ball and hitting a guy in the balls. Big Ten needs to suspend him ...why wait until a kid gets a scratched retina or worse

Wilbon on PTI just said the next opponent should bring a LB into the game and settle this the old fashioned way. Everyone I've heard talk about this has talked very badly about McCaffery.

McCaffery can be awfully prickish, but think about it...wouldn't you have a chip on your shoulder if your parents had named you Fran? ��

McCaffery can be awfully prickish, but think about it...wouldn't you have a chip on your shoulder if your parents had named you Fran? ��

He could be Frank if he wanted to. No excuses.

Does anyone remember Allen Ray?
allanray4.jpg

Since Saint Francis was a very well regarded saint, Francis was reasonably common boys' name among old school Catholics generations ago. The "Fran" form of it probably fit well with the general speech patterns of most Philadelphians. "Franny" would too.

I'm sure the elders around at the time of McCaffrey's birth would have thought it very strange that so many Americans in the future would choose to name their daughters after a type of hunting dog (Brittany).

Adam is not poking players in the on purpose. However he is reckless in the use of his hands on defense . He certainly is not making any effort to keep is hands a safe distance from other players eyes. Kinda like try to steal the ball and hitting a guy in the balls. Big Ten needs to suspend him ...why wait until a kid gets a scratched retina or worse

This may be a bad example to some, but I kinda compare it to targeting in football. It really doesn't matter if you're trying to make helmet to helmet contact on a receiver. When you keep doing it, you're going to get punished.

The brain leak seeped onto the basketball board?

I understand if he is trying to face guard.....but normally someone would do that with their palms towards the player. In all three of these incidents, woodbury has stuck a finger or two DIRECTLY in someones eye. Kaminsky wasn't even moving when woodbury poked him.

Nobody learns defense with their fingers sticking out. It is palms down or palms out. In the post, palms and arms straight up.

We need to have someone distract the referees and have Kendall Shell throw salt in his eyes like Mr. Fuji and Mr. Saito when they aren't looking!!

Since Saint Francis was a very well regarded saint, Francis was reasonably common boys' name among old school Catholics generations ago. The "Fran" form of it probably fit well with the general speech patterns of most Philadelphians. "Franny" would too.

I'm sure the elders around at the time of McCaffrey's birth would have thought it very strange that so many Americans in the future would choose to name their daughters after a type of hunting dog (Brittany).

That's interesting and I'm sure you're right about the derivation of the name Francis. In fact, my best friend's middle name is Francis as was his father's first name, although as Holy Man pointed out, he was always known as Frank.
I'm not so certain, however, that the elders associated the female name (Brittany) with a Spaniel, unless of course the dear girl was a real b*tch, but more likely realized it corresponded to the cultural region in northwest France now considered a province.
The naming of females after geographic and national boundaries is actually quite common. On my last trip to Boston, I met a pole-dancer named Mozambique, a cocktail waitress named China and a hooker by the name of Uganda...no wait...maybe it was Yolanda. But anyway, you get the drift...right? That's all I've got for now...later.

That's interesting and I'm sure you're right about the derivation of the name Francis. In fact, my best friend's middle name is Francis as was his father's first name, although as Holy Man pointed out, he was always known as Frank.
I'm not so certain, however, that the elders associated the female name (Brittany) with a Spaniel, unless of course the dear girl was a real b*tch, but more likely realized it corresponded to the cultural region in northwest France now considered a province.
The naming of females after geographic and national boundaries is actually quite common. On my last trip to Boston, I met a pole-dancer named Mozambique, a cocktail waitress named China and a hooker by the name of Uganda...no wait...maybe it was Yolanda. But anyway, you get the drift...right? That's all I've got for now...later.

That was very good! Yes, naming people after places probably is more common than I thought, but Brittany is a relatively recent development in the USA. I don't think I ever met one when I was young. These names really change a lot. Certain names that were reasonably common when I was growing up seem almost dead now.

You have to think that somewhere down the road , a student section at a Hawkeye road game will break these out.

Too bad they don't play at Illinois. They would be the section most likely to pull that off as a section.

Standard issue for Hawks opponents for the rest of the year:

As a team we should wear these for the tip on Thursday just to mess with Woodbury and the refs. Too bad Pitino has too much class for that sort of thing.

If (when?) he jabs someone in the eye on Thursday, I hope they eject him immediately. Then a Fran-splosion guaranteed to follow. How many FT's can we make for the 3 T's?

LOL.

I, by no means, am a violent person. I've never once in my life thrown a punch. But if I were playing and Woodbury poked me in the eye after all of this, I would do my best to drop that dopey POS.

Top Bottom