Fran McCaffery demands apology from Dakich

The Gazette: Iowa to provide extra security around Dakich

Iowa athletics will ramp up security around ESPN broadcaster Dan Dakich during the Hawkeyes’ basketball game Saturday against No. 5 Wisconsin at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

During Iowa’s 82-50 loss at Wisconsin last week, Dakich called Hawkeyes center Adam Woodbury “cowardly” and “gutless” after the junior twice poked eyes of Wisconsin players. Woodbury said his actions were accidental and apologized. Dakich, who also called for Woodbury’s suspension, did not back down from his comments last week. That caused a wave of reaction among Iowa — and other — basketball fans last week on social media and other platforms.

“We have decided that there will be a member of the security staff sitting behind the television table,” said Rick Klatt, Iowa’s associate athletics director for external relations. “Hopefully we’ll be fine.

“It’s probably the prudent thing to do for the circumstances.”

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-to-provide-extra-security-around-dakich-20150128

Go Gophers!!

The Gazette: Iowa to provide extra security around Dakich

Iowa athletics will ramp up security around ESPN broadcaster Dan Dakich during the Hawkeyes’ basketball game Saturday against No. 5 Wisconsin at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

During Iowa’s 82-50 loss at Wisconsin last week, Dakich called Hawkeyes center Adam Woodbury “cowardly” and “gutless” after the junior twice poked eyes of Wisconsin players. Woodbury said his actions were accidental and apologized. Dakich, who also called for Woodbury’s suspension, did not back down from his comments last week. That caused a wave of reaction among Iowa — and other — basketball fans last week on social media and other platforms.

“We have decided that there will be a member of the security staff sitting behind the television table,” said Rick Klatt, Iowa’s associate athletics director for external relations. “Hopefully we’ll be fine.

“It’s probably the prudent thing to do for the circumstances.”

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-to-provide-extra-security-around-dakich-20150128

Go Gophers!!

They should stick one in front of him too in case Woodbury gets any ideas.

Fran sure is a hothead. And players take on the personality of their coaches.

This. Woodbury clearly did this on purpose, twice. Fran ought to own up to it and demand his player play the right way. Since Fran always seems to be outraged about something, it becomes just another thing to illustrate what a hothead he is.

This. Woodbury clearly did this on purpose, twice. Fran ought to own up to it and demand his player play the right way. Since Fran always seems to be outraged about something, it becomes just another thing to illustrate what a hothead he is.
This.

They should wheel Dakich in like Hannibal Lecter and throw a pair of James Worthy goggles on him.

LOL; memories of Jim Burr being a pariah in Iowa City for calling the foul that allowed Minnesota to win the triple overtime game in 1982

Eh.. I'm with Dakich, and if I were McCaffery, I would want this to go away, not bring more attention to it.

If I were the referee of that initial Badger/Hawkeye BB game, I would have called fouls on both Hayes and Kaminsky. Poor Woodbury, he's got all of these opponents trying to jam their eyeballs into his finger tips. There should be a punishment for the offending Badgers :D

Reminds me of Al "Bubba" Baker having opposing offensive linemen trying to jam their eyeballs through their own face masks and into Bubba Baker's finger tips during NFL games. :clap:

And who can forget when former North Star Brian Bellows was down on the ice on all four's at the end of a hockey game against the Black Hawks. Chris Chelios jumped on him, reached his hand toward Bellows' face, and what do you know? Bellows tried to jam his eyeballs into Chelios' finger tips and finger nails. I don't know how Chelios ever recovered with all that damage to his fingertips and finger nails... :p

Woodbury did that same eye poking $hit again to Melo Trimble just now and Trimble's eye is cut and really swollen. What a dirty p.o.s.

Too many eyes are getting in the way of where Woodberry's fingers are. Big 10 should look into this and start suspending the players whose eyes are in the wrong place.

Richard should have the guys where goggles during shootaround on thursday.

Woodbury did that same eye poking $hit again to Melo Trimble just now and Trimble's eye is cut and really swollen. What a dirty p.o.s.

Hilarious...

Woodbury = a serial eye poker :D

not even sure he can control himself around unsuspecting, unprotected eye balls?

This whole thing is so comically strange that it's a little difficult to know how to comment.. But I would think, since this Woodbury eye poking business has now apparently become a "thing," that refs would have it on their radar and put it all to bed. Pretty simple- call a flagrant, punish Woodbury, embarrass McCaffery (for not putting an end to this embarrassment himself) and vindicate Dakich. Figure it out refs

Sorry...just realized someone else already posted this photo. Couldn't figure out how to delete it.

Attachments

• eye_poke_defense.jpg
    eye_poke_defense.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 25

First it wasn't my intention to "get" Dunce. Second and to your point that must be one terrible crew if they missed not one but two 'gutless and cowardly' acts 25 feet from the basket and no other players within five feet of them. Bottom line: I don't think it was intentional but don't take my word for it. <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And with that I'm out.
Yet another "accident" yesterday. If it wasn't for bad luck, poor Woodbury wouldn't have any luck at all.

I can sense a similar situation to MN v ohio, circa 1972, taking place on Thursday... :p

Standard issue for Hawks opponents for the rest of the year:

Attachments

• 39840_2000x2000.jpg
    39840_2000x2000.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 62952-1002-1-3ww-l.jpg
    62952-1002-1-3ww-l.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 18

At a certain point it doesn't matter if he is doing it on purpose or not anymore. You can do some serious damage to someone's eye.

Either he has a weird way of playing defense (who extends their arm and finger towards a guy's face while he is driving to the basket?) or he is doing it on purpose.

How has he not been suspended yet? You don't allow a player to repeatedly engage in actions that put the health of others at risk - accident or not.

B9W5TwoCYAALwJ4.jpg:large

Top Bottom