Fran McCaffery demands apology from Dakich

As far as Woodbury, he's always been a bit of a goon who has resorted to cheap shots after being frustrated by better players. McCabe was also a tad dirty (coincidentally both he and Woodbury are from Sioux City) but I don't think most of McCaffrey's Iowa players have been.

Competitive basketball always has its dirty little secrets. For example: There is a reason why kids are taught to place their hands over their crotch when they set a pick. Defenders have been known to play "wack-a-nad" trying to get around the pick.

My bet is that Dakich probably helped teach similar tactics while working for Coach Knight.

Quick question for you Dunce: If the eye pokes were so egregious why weren't fouls called?

That's an interesting position. In your mind, any conduct which is not detected by authorities and punished is by definition not egregious?

Fran owes Iowa fans an apology after that miscarriage his team showed in that game.

That's an interesting position. In your mind, any conduct which is not detected by authorities and punished is by definition not egregious?

It's Dunceswithwolves position (and most others in this thread) that the pokes were egregious. I haven't stated an opinion one way or the other on Woodbury's intent. And I don't think the conduct was undetected by authorities but I can't be sure. But to answer your question - no.

It's Dunceswithwolves position (and most others in this thread) that the pokes were egregious. I haven't stated an opinion one way or the other on Woodbury's intent. And I don't think the conduct was undetected by authorities but I can't be sure. But to answer your question - no.

To be honest, Hawk, you said nothing.

Am I the only one that has Dakich as their favorite ESPN commentator? Don't understand why people don't like him?

You don't screw with peoples' eyes. It's a classless move and he should be suspended since it was clearly intentional. Gutless and cowardly are some of the weaker terms I'd use, and I don't understand how some people don't seem to think it's a big deal.

Fran probably wears those stylish ladies frames because he's scared the big dopey goon will poke his eyes out.

I think Dakich described those actions pretty well. Fran should've just shut up in this case. It's laughable to say those were unintentional. Perfect technique with the two fingers pointing out like that. I wonder if he practiced.

Am I the only one that has Dakich as their favorite ESPN commentator? Don't understand why people don't like him?

I can't stand him. He's outspoken, which can be fine. But I think he is arrogant and always thinks he is right. Plus he holds grudges. He doesn't really hide the fact that he hates the Gophers. Pretty obvious every time he does one of our games.

With that said, McCaffery needs to shut up with this one. He isn't helping. They both look stupid in my opinion.

Because BT refs never miss any calls... wow. You really got dunces

First it wasn't my intention to "get" Dunce. Second and to your point that must be one terrible crew if they missed not one but two 'gutless and cowardly' acts 25 feet from the basket and no other players within five feet of them. Bottom line: I don't think it was intentional but don't take my word for it. <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And with that I'm out.

First it wasn't my intention to "get" Dunce. Second and to your point that must be one terrible crew if they missed not one but two 'gutless and cowardly' acts 25 feet from the basket and no other players within five feet of them. Bottom line: I don't think it was intentional but don't take my word for it. <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And with that I'm out.

I don't think that proves anything.

And with that I'm out.
So you have one journalist who thinks it was not intentional and one who thinks it was. I guess since your guy says no, that's that. Most everyone here hates the Badgers. Most everyone here hates Dakich. So there are prejudices already in place. And yet, most everyone here agrees that your big dopey goon did it on purpose. And with that, I'm out.

So you have one journalist who thinks it was not intentional and one who thinks it was. I guess since your guy says no, that's that. Most everyone here hates the Badgers. Most everyone here hates Dakich. So there are prejudices already in place. And yet, most everyone here agrees that your big dopey goon did it on purpose. And with that, I'm out.
Sums it up perfectly.

Stated perfectly. Kudos.

there is replays for elbows there should be replays for eye gouging.

from the video evidence (not seeing the game live)

that kid should be responsible for his actions and you rub a head and gouge the eyes is intentional to me.

Since I didn't say I'm out, I'll say one last thing.

What's the point of discussing intent? "I rubbed this guy on the head and then poked my fingers toward his eye" for what purpose? Intimidation? Sure. Did he mean to poke him in the eye - or was he hoping he'd miss. Is this what were discussing?

Inadvertent fingers to the eyes happen in situations under the basket etc where everyone is going for the ball. What is the defense here, "I thought after I rubbed his head he'd be rattled and get out of the way of my finger so it wasn't on purpose.." ??

If Hayes and Kaminsky only watched more Three Stooges, there wouldn't be any controversy.

eye_poke_defense.jpg

I enjoy listening to Dakich as well. I watch basketball to be entertained and Dakich reminds me of a more vindictive and less senile Bill Walton. I find a lot of hyperbole to be entertaining and he certainly fits the bill.

I also tend to share many of his views so that probably helps his cause in my eyes.

He doesn't really hide the fact that he hates the Gophers. Pretty obvious every time he does one of our games.

I haven't gotten that impression at all. Perhaps he has been critical at times, but the fact that the Gophers, with a veteran core, lost 6 of 8 conference games including all five decided by 5 points or less might have something to do with that. Certainly any negative remarks he might have made pale in comparison to what can be read on these pages.

I've thought Woodbury was a thug and goon since the first time I saw him play. I normally can't stand Dakich, but I was completely with him on this one. Woodbury is the dirtiest player in the B1G.

Well Pitchford is making it a heated competition.

Woodbury is also famous for using the illegal tactic of pulling on the opposing center's shorts at the tipoff. Dakich even commented on that in the UW game, before the eye gouging. Clearly Dakich didn't think much of Woodbury.

I haven't gotten that impression at all. Perhaps he has been critical at times, but the fact that the Gophers, with a veteran core, lost 6 of 8 conference games including all five decided by 5 points or less might have something to do with that. Certainly any negative remarks he might have made pale in comparison to what can be read on these pages.

It's been going on for much longer than this year. Even during the St. John's game early in the year, we were winning most of the game and he spent the whole time drooling over them and essentially criticizing us the whole time. We absolutely deserved it at the end, but if you were only listening to him and didn't know the score, you would have thought we were losing by 20 from the beginning.

Maybe it isn't as bad as I think because I'm not a fan of his, but I still think he is bias.

It's been going on for much longer than this year. Even during the St. John's game early in the year, we were winning most of the game and he spent the whole time drooling over them and essentially criticizing us the whole time. We absolutely deserved it at the end, but if you were only listening to him and didn't know the score, you would have thought we were losing by 20 from the beginning.

Maybe it isn't as bad as I think because I'm not a fan of his, but I still think he is bias.

He's butthurt because inspite of the fact that reds tried to hand his iu team the game in the 08 btt. Hoff still won it

Agree that this was cheap, but since Woodbury caused the temporary loss of sight, why didn't he go for the steal? Both times, the ball was just sitting there waiting to be taken :cool02:

Top Bottom