Fran McCaffery demands apology from Dakich

Breakin' The Plane

Reaction score
After Adam Woodbury poked both Nigel Hayes and Kaminsky in the eye while Fran's Hawkeyes were getting smoked, Dan Dakich called Woodbury "gutless" and a coward.

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Iowa coach Fran McCaffery wants ESPN color commentator Dan Dakich to apologize to Hawkeyes center Adam Woodbury for calling him "gutless" and "cowardly" during the broadcast of an 82-50 loss to Wisconsin.

Dakich called out Woodbury after the center appeared to poke the eyes of Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes and Frank Kaminsky in separate incidents Tuesday.

McCaffery defended his player while blasting Dakich during the taping of his weekly radio show on Wednesday. A message seeking comment from Dakich was not immediately returned.

Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...n-mccaffery-wants-apology-dan-dakich-comments

Eh.. I'm with Dakich, and if I were McCaffery, I would want this to go away, not bring more attention to it.

McCaffrey doesn't mention that his saint got called for an elbow to the back of the head in the same sequence as poking Kaminksy in the eye and he was clearly trying to bruise some folks in his frustration. It wasn't simply two peculiar eye pokes (including one very weird rubbing of Kaminsky's hair).

I see both sides.

There is no doubt that Woodbury is a bit chippy. Fran M is probably better off just moving on.

Dakich is certainly not afraid to give an opinion, and for that I actually find him entertaining. But, I do find him to be fairly loose with the facts and many times he goes over the top with what seems to me to be the simple goal of creating attention for himself. I think in this specific case, a simple, 'Woodbury was in the wrong' is probably better suited than calling for Woodbury's suspension and calling him a coward in front of millions. Dakich has gotten into a ton of Twitter wars over the years and he engaged in some immature back-and-forths with some looney Hawkeye fans over this. For a guy who is willing to really dish it out on people, he has one of the thinner skins of anyone I've ever seen in the public eye.

Dan better watch out before Woodbury pokes him in the eye.

McCaffrey doesn't mention that his saint got called for an elbow to the back of the head in the same sequence as poking Kaminksy in the eye and he was clearly trying to bruise some folks in his frustration. It wasn't simply two peculiar eye pokes (including one very weird rubbing of Kaminsky's hair).

Or as one Iowa blog termed it, "pushed the back of his head with his elbow"

I have always thought Woodbury played a little dirty. I really don't want to side with Dakich, but he has a point here.

Here is a vine. Looks intentional to me.

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OIAYVLJ226g/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I liked Kaminsky's reaction. He didn't go all nutso. He just put his hands up in the air as if to say, "What the hell are you doing you doofus?"

I liked Kaminsky's reaction. He didn't go all nutso. He just put his hands up in the air as if to say, "What the hell are you doing you doofus?"

What you're missing on the front end of the kaminsky one is he rubbed his head and then down his face, THEN poked him in the eye.

<iframe src='http://streamable.com/e/6e6' width='854' height='480' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling='no'></iframe>

I have never liked Woodbury, and I have always thought the kid plays dirty. Whats that sh!t with rubbing K's hair?
I vote no on the apology

Got to hand it to Woodbury for creativity w/ the hair rub. If your a big doofus and can't stop a guy, got to be creative i guess. Another way vs. trash talk to get inside a guys head but w/ the finger pokes he should be T'd up.

Agree. Makes Kaminsky look a lot more mature and superior choosing that course of action. It wasn't like the Elliot both hands up open mouth "I never foul" look either, it was a casual "come on dude". Wish more players would follow his example and do that rather than losing it and screaming at either an official or player for the eye poke. If nothing else, Kaminsky sent a message to anyone else contemplating similar antics that they aren't going to rattle him with something this stupid.

I've thought Woodbury was a thug and goon since the first time I saw him play. I normally can't stand Dakich, but I was completely with him on this one. Woodbury is the dirtiest player in the B1G.

I have never liked Woodbury, and I have always thought the kid plays dirty. Whats that sh!t with rubbing K's hair?
I vote no on the apology

Agree. I dislike Dakich as much as the next guy, but that was completely bush-league by Woodbury. McCaffery needs to sit down and shut up. His player got caught being dirty and now he's whining like a baby. Don't like it? Tell your player to stop trying to poke guys in the eye.

That was clearly intentional. He should be suspended. Good for Dakich for saying so. And Angry Fran is in no position to demand apologies from anyone.

It's fine if Dakich wants to call out Woodbury on it, but to call him cowardly and gutless is just kind of ridiculous. Dakich acts like he knows the game better than anyone else and just tries to be outrageous (or maybe he's just as big of a buffoon as Woodbury).

Fran sure is a hothead. And players take on the personality of their coaches.

It's pretty obvious...we need a kid like Woodbury playing for the Gophers. He's like a Daisy Red Rider BB gun!

Dakich is a pig of a human being

I can't vouch for Woodbury's character, but I've seen first hand what a pig of a human being Dan Dakich is. It was the night Lou Henson made his famous, "Bobby Knight is the classic bully" speech in the postgame press conference.

As a young reporter covering the Indiana-Illinois game in Champaign (when Dakich was an assistant for the pig of all pigs, Bobby Knight), in the bowels of Assembly Hall I got an up close & personal look at what kind of a human being Dakich was. It was one of those impressions you never forget. F-bombing left & right, cussing out Assembly Hall workers for no reason, bad-mouthing Lou Henson, all & all just being a total ass to anyone around wearing orange & blue. ... and Indiana won the game. Thank God the large share of Knight's former players/disciples didn't turn out to be human beings like Dakich.

It's difficult to erase something like that from your memory. Even though I agree quite often with Dakich's takes, 24 years later it's hard for me to give him any credibility because of the display he put on that night.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...0xTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YoQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7031,5882082

I can't vouch for Woodbury's character, but I've seen first hand what a pig of a human being Dan Dakich is. As a young reporter covering an Indiana-Illinois game in Champaign-Urbana (when Dakich was an assistant for the pig of all pigs, Bobby Knight), in the bowels of Assembly Hall I got an up close & personal look of what kind of a human being Dakich was. It was one of those impressions you never forget. F-bombing left & right, cussing out Assembly Hall workers for no reason, bad-mouthing Lou Henson, all & all just being a total ass to anyone around wearing orange & blue. ... and Indiana won the game. Thank God the large share of Knight's former players/disciples didn't turn out to be pigs like Dakich.

It was the night Lou Henson made his famous, "Bobby Knight is the classic bully" speech in the postgame press conference.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...0xTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YoQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7031,5882082

You pretty much lose all credibility calling Coach Knight a "pig of all pigs" so you're little story means nothing. (and I think Dakich is a d-bag)

I can't vouch for Woodbury's character, but I've seen first hand what a pig of a human being Dan Dakich is. As a young reporter covering an Indiana-Illinois game in Champaign-Urbana (when Dakich was an assistant for the pig of all pigs, Bobby Knight), in the bowels of Assembly Hall I got an up close & personal look of what kind of a human being Dakich was. It was one of those impressions you never forget. F-bombing left & right, cussing out Assembly Hall workers for no reason, bad-mouthing Lou Henson, all & all just being a total ass to anyone around wearing orange & blue. ... and Indiana won the game. Thank God the large share of Knight's former players/disciples didn't turn out to be pigs like Dakich.

It was the night Lou Henson made his famous, "Bobby Knight is the classic bully" speech in the postgame press conference.

I too as a young reporter have personally seen the pig family (Indiana coaches led by Knight) as they wallow in verbal excrement. I can't root for them to this day! Of course, Kelvin Sampson and Tom Crean have made it easier to keep hating.
I

You pretty much lose all credibility calling Coach Knight a "pig of all pigs" so you're little story means nothing. (and I think Dakich is a d-bag)

To each his own.

Bobby Knight was a fantastic coach, at least until he quit in the middle of the season at Texas Tech and left his son to pick up the mess. Have never thought much of him as a human being. I respect the former (coach), the latter (human being) not so much.

Fran sure is a hothead. And players take on the personality of their coaches.

I can relate being also Irish and hailing from his neck of the woods. We practically take in that characteristic with our mother's milk.

As far as Woodbury, he's always been a bit of a goon who has resorted to cheap shots after being frustrated by better players. McCabe was also a tad dirty (coincidentally both he and Woodbury are from Sioux City) but I don't think most of McCaffrey's Iowa players have been.

Quick question for you Dunce: If the eye pokes were so egregious why weren't fouls called?

Top Bottom