Sid: U rises in academics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

U rises in academics

When Jerry Kill took over as Gophers football coach in 2010, the roster had 20 players on academic probation and another large group barely eligible.

But every year under the combination of Kill, the football coaching staff and Lynn Holleran, the director of the McNamara Academic Center for student-athletes, the team’s classroom performance has improved. Holleran has done a sensational job.

Now for the second year in a row, the Gophers will have 30 Academic All-Big Ten football players (those with 3.0 grade-point averages or better). That’s the second-best mark in the Big Ten, trailing only Northwestern with 37. Wisconsin is tied for third with 27.

The Gophers also have one Academic All-America (3.2 GPA or better) in redshirt sophomore tight end Maxx Williams, who earlier this month announced he would enter the NFL draft.

Twenty-four of the other 25 sports have GPAs of 3.0 or better, according to Holleran.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/289525281.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Fantastic. Something else Kill does better than Brewster and Mason did [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.2 for Academic All American? Not a very high bar and we only had 1 player make that cut?

3.2 for Academic All American? Not a very high bar and we only had 1 player make that cut?

I'm pretty sure you also have to be a good football player...so a walkon punter with a 4.0 can't be an Academic All American.

I'm pretty sure you also have to be a good football player...so a walkon punter with a 4.0 can't be an Academic All American.
Ok... But even with the sample size dropping down to just those that make the field my point stands. Considering the academic support systems provided to these players and the fact that few take truly rigorous majors I am surprised only one player could muster a GPA above a 3.2; it isn't like that is a difficult GPA to hit above. But I guess that just means there more room for improvement [emoji4]

Ok... But even with the sample size dropping down to just those that make the field my point stands. Considering the academic support systems provided to these players and the fact that few take truly rigorous majors I am surprised only one player could muster a GPA above a 3.2; it isn't like that is a difficult GPA to hit above. But I guess that just means there more room for improvement [emoji4]
They ain't here to play school. :p

I requires much more than the GPA minimum as opposed to the Academic Big 10 honor. Notre Dame hasn't had an Academic All-American in either of the last two years.

"No" and "no" to your two questions.

3.2 is what Sid and the Star Tribune said. Remember, they are wrong with their information all the time. Being incorrect is the rule, not the exception for them. To be NOMINATED the minimum is 3.3, not 3.2 And that's just to be nominated.

Only 50 are selected in football. 19 of those are 3.90 or better guys in football. Maxx (3.44) had the lowest GPA of any First Team Academic All-American D-I football player (the group averaged 3.85).

Notre Dame hasn't had an Academic All-American in either of the last two years.

You say it with such conviction, almost as if it's true. But it's not. Sophomore WR Corey Robinson (3.83) of Notre Dame made the first team - the first time a sophomore has done so since 2008.

"No" and "no" to your two questions.

3.2 is what Sid and the Star Tribune said. Remember, they are wrong with their information all the time. Being incorrect is the rule, not the exception for them. To be NOMINATED the minimum is 3.3, not 3.2 And that's just to be nominated.

Only 50 are selected in football. 19 of those are 3.90 or better guys in football. Maxx (3.44) had the lowest GPA of any First Team Academic All-American D-I football player (the group averaged 3.85).

You say it with such conviction, almost as if it's true. But it's not. Sophomore WR Corey Robinson (3.83) of Notre Dame made the first team - the first time a sophomore has done so since 2008.
Thank you, that clears it up. Conversation over.

Top Bottom