Michigan St - 2 DE
MINNESOTA - 0, zip, nadda,
Nebraska - 2 DE, 2 DT
Northwestern - 3 DE
Penn St - 1 DE
Purdue - 3 DE, 1 DT
Rutgers - 2 DE, 2 DT
Wisconsin - 3 DE, 2 DT

Every year, we have recruited heavily along the defensive line, except this year. Why? We lost two to graduation. This has been a good run for line development. Why the donut hole this year that will ripple outward for the next few years? This is NEVER the case with Ohio St, who always fill a whole line on defense, without fail, ever. In fact, they almost always have 4 and sometimes 5 recruits on the line in the last decade, maybe more. In 1 year they had 3 recruits along the line. Minnesota did not have a dominant line this year. It was adequate and not stellar. Why the void in D-line recruits? Anybody have any ideas why this year we didn't gain any d-line recruits. If we land one, that guy is going to be mighty lonely.

Defensive linemen recruits 2014

Ohio State - 4 DE, 1 DT
Illinois - 0
Indiana - 3 DE
Iowa - 3 DE, 1 DT
Maryland - 3 DE, 1 DT
Michigan - 0 on
Michigan St - 2 DE
Nebraska - 2 DE, 2 DT
Northwestern - 3 DE
Penn St - 1 DE
Purdue - 3 DE, 1 DT
Rutgers - 2 DE, 2 DT
Wisconsin - 3 DE, 2 DT

Every year, we have recruited heavily along the defensive line, except this year. Why? We lost two to graduation. This has been a good run for line development. Why the donut hole this year that will ripple outward for the next few years? This is NEVER the case with Ohio St, who always fill a whole line on defense, without fail, ever. In fact, they almost always have 4 and sometimes 5 recruits on the line in the last decade, maybe more. In 1 year they had 3 recruits along the line. Minnesota did not have a dominant line this year. It was adequate and not stellar. Why the void in D-line recruits? Anybody have any ideas why this year we didn't gain any d-line recruits. If we land one, that guy is going to be mighty lonely.
I think we are in a pretty good spot with a few DL recruits and Kill has stated he expects to sign 2-3 DL in this class.

I think we are in a pretty good spot with a few DL recruits and Kill has stated he expects to sign 2-3 DL in this class.

Yeah probably better to hold off on this thread until after signing day in order to see how it all shakes out. I would hope at least 1-2 D-Line players will end up signing on the dotted line when it is all said and done.

..... This is NEVER the case with Ohio St, who always fill a whole line on defense, without fail, ever. ..

A quick pull-up of (t)OSU's signees shows this is incorrect. Check out 2004, 2005 (that's all I had time for), but I'm going to give you a mulligan since you're obviously using hyperbole. We need DL recruits, but if we don't have an immediate need, why jump in to a crowded pool?

We signed 4 or more the past 3 years. I think they'll end up with at least 2 this year.

Stupid thread. First of all, Burns says Beebe will start out at DE so that is one. Mose Hall is a virtual lock and has tried to commit early but the coaches want him to visit first before committing and lastly, Jamal Milan has said that we are his leaders after his OV.

Burns has said that the reason why D-line recruiting hasn't been as urgent is simply because there aren't a lot of good prospects this year and the staff's net for realistic guys that they like just ins't as big.

Stupid thread. First of all, Burns says Beebe will start out at DE so that is one. Mose Hall is a virtual lock and has tried to commit early but the coaches want him to visit first before committing and lastly, Jamal Milan has said that we are his leaders after his OV.

Burns has said that the reason why D-line recruiting hasn't been as urgent is simply because there aren't a lot of good prospects this year and the staff's net for realistic guys that they like just ins't as big.

Not to mention, we played 4 freshman last year, redshirted one (Kafo), and have a top 2016 DT (JoJo) already on board...

Usually is when Dean S starts it. His posts are often negative or he puts a negative twist on them.

If you die in a recruiting nightmare, do u die in real life? Or is that just an urban legend?

Ohio State - 4 DE, 1 DT
Illinois - 0
Indiana - 3 DE
Iowa - 3 DE, 1 DT
Maryland - 3 DE, 1 DT
Michigan - 0 on
Michigan St - 2 DE
Nebraska - 2 DE, 2 DT
Northwestern - 3 DE
Penn St - 1 DE
Purdue - 3 DE, 1 DT
Rutgers - 2 DE, 2 DT
Wisconsin - 3 DE, 2 DT

Just because we only have one DL committed so far (yes we have one in Beebe), doesn't mean we haven't recruited a bunch of them. You can't make a kid commit to us.

But as others pointed out, we are close to getting one or two commitments soon. Recruiting is far from over, best to just chill out a little.

It's important to never really read too much into the recruiting until really close to signing day. However, I do think Dean does make a decent point. I would be much more comfortable if we had a couple more DL commits. I'd prefer for us to sign 3 DT commits because it makes sense to burn a RS on one of them so that class isn't empty (the class of the DTs who would have been RS FR next season).

However, our staff seems to do a fantastic job of seeing the big picture with the recruiting process (balancing classes, etc.). Most of my concerns with the process are also minimized by the position flexibility of our last few DL classes. Stelter, Elmore and Beebe are all guys that seem to be able to play DT and DE (or will be able to).

It's important to never really read too much into the recruiting until really close to signing day. However, I do think Dean does make a decent point. I would be much more comfortable if we had a couple more DL commits. I'd prefer for us to sign 3 DT commits because it makes sense to burn a RS on one of them so that class isn't empty (the class of the DTs who would have been RS FR next season).

However, our staff seems to do a fantastic job of seeing the big picture with the recruiting process (balancing classes, etc.). Most of my concerns with the process are also minimized by the position flexibility of our last few DL classes. Stelter, Elmore and Beebe are all guys that seem to be able to play DT and DE (or will be able to).

I think many are wondering what is going to happen. The thing about the OP was that he made it seem like the staff hasn't even been recruiting DL. That, of course, is not true.

Usually is when Dean S starts it. His posts are often negative or he puts a negative twist on them.

It is an annual concern. Last few years I haven't had to start this particular thread and praised the staff for recruiting the D. Thanks for adding to my reputation and taking the first shot.

Bob, this is what I was looking for from everyone. I did not realize that our current younger players were flexible enough to play in the middle. I would like to see a couple of hard nose guys in each class. The lack of a whole class without any clear cut d-line recruits always creates a gap in upper classmen talent down the road. Every top program always fills an entire line and every year I will voice concern when we land less than 3 across the line.

Smile everyone. I'm not about to start a big campaign of negativity today.

Bob, this is what I was looking for from everyone. I did not realize that our current younger players were flexible enough to play in the middle. I would like to see a couple of hard nose guys in each class. The lack of a whole class without any clear cut d-line recruits always creates a gap in upper classmen talent down the road. Every top program always fills an entire line and every year I will voice concern when we land less than 3 across the line.

Smile everyone. I'm not about to start a big campaign of negativity today.

Gotta love absolutism.

Personally, my nightmares don't involve recruiting D-Lines. They usually involve clowns and Dean S complaining about something.

Yeah, someone posts a concern, attacks no one and then you jacks start personally attacking him. Most of you must be about 110 pounds or 400 pounds.

So according to you Einstein's, no DL in a recruiting class isn't a concern? A reasonable person would at least think about that, then either agree or disagree.

Me? I don't know if it's a concern because I don't know what the true depth at the DL is.

Sure it is. Too bad it's already not true, and will be even more not true by signing day.

I know of one potential signee. Would you like to share your insight to others and venture who may sign. I would enjoy that.

Yeah, someone posts a concern, attacks no one and then you jacks start personally attacking him.

I think the issue for many is the phrasing.

A thread titled "RECRUITING NIGHTMARE!" (exclamation point and all) would lead one to believe something really serious is taking place and lead one to open the thread. Then when one opens it, one finds out the so-called nightmare is the fact that the Gophers don't have a DL recruit (actually they have one). Of course, it is a concern. But, let's leave "recruiting nightmare" thread titles for something that might actually be alarming, or actually be a nightmare.

Had Dean been truly interested in opening a substantive dialogue on this on a message board, it might help him to name the thread with something like "is anyone else concerned?" and ask for opinions. But, threats started with absolute language, hyperbole, negativity, and exclamation points don't exactly exude "let's have a discussion." Instead, it gets a bit combative from the original post moving forward.

Just one man's opinion.

I know of one potential signee. Would you like to share your insight to others and venture who may sign. I would enjoy that.

It's already been stated in the thread. Colton Beebe is already on board, Mose Hall is a lock, and we're in good shape with Jamal Milan. That makes 2, if not 3. Guys who are far less likely, but within the realm of possibility, include Wyatt Ray and Anree Saint-Amour.

I think the issue for many is the phrasing.

A thread titled "RECRUITING NIGHTMARE!" (exclamation point and all) would lead one to believe something really serious is taking place and lead one to open the thread. Then when one opens it, one finds out the so-called nightmare is the fact that the Gophers don't have a DL recruit (actually they have one). Of course, it is a concern. But, let's leave "recruiting nightmare" thread titles for something that might actually be alarming, or actually be a nightmare.

Had Dean been truly interested in opening a substantive dialogue on this on a message board, it might help him to name the thread with something like "is anyone else concerned?" and ask for opinions. But, threats started with absolute language, hyperbole, negativity, and exclamation points don't exactly exude "let's have a discussion." Instead, it gets a bit combative from the original post moving forward.

Just one man's opinion.

Maybe the thread header isn't perfect, but this way too typical here. Someone says something that the cliche doesn't want discussed they then get personally attacked. It's childish, rude and to be frank, cowardly.

But thanks for being reasonable, seriously.

Maybe the thread header isn't perfect, but this way too typical here. Someone says something that the cliche doesn't want discussed they then get personally attacked. It's childish, rude and to be frank, cowardly.

But thanks for being reasonable, seriously.

I agree that the personal attacks are childish and unnecessary but I still stand by my earlier comment that this is a thread that shouldn't be started until we actually see how the class shakes out on signing day. As many have pointed out there should be more DL recruits coming and there is no doubt the staff is trying to recruit the position. If signing days comes and goes and we only have one DL recruit in the class that would be a cause for some concern but a lot can happen between now and signing day.

I agree that the personal attacks are childish and unnecessary but I still stand by my earlier comment that this is a thread that shouldn't be started until we actually see how the class shakes out on signing day. As many have pointed out there should be more DL recruits coming and there is no doubt the staff is trying to recruit the position. If signing days comes and goes and we only have one DL recruit in the class that would be a cause for some concern but a lot can happen between now and signing day.
Obviously you have more knowledge on our recruiting, that's why I come here so I can learn about what's going on and who we've signed and then all of the opinion's on that recruit. The only Gopher recruit I've actually seen play and have followed closely is Jeff Jones....and I believe he will be a star; JMO. Maybe you're right about this thread, its just that the personal attacks get annoying.

It's already been stated in the thread. Colton Beebe is already on board, Mose Hall is a lock, and we're in good shape with Jamal Milan. That makes 2, if not 3. Guys who are far less likely, but within the realm of possibility, include Wyatt Ray and Anree Saint-Amour.

Here's to hope.

Top Bottom