Dennis Dodd says Andersen left Wisc due to academic standards...

Golden Elephant

Maroon & Gold Maven
Reaction score
Andersen's departure to Oregon State still mystifies me, but Dodd reports "Admissions was probably the reason the 50-year-old Andersen arguably caused the biggest stir of the coaching silly season"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24982746

I don't fully buy this. Maybe it would bug you a bit that you lost a few kids/couldn't get a few kids in school because of this, but really? You couldn't get a handful of kids into school so you're going to move to a school where a much larger number of kids wouldn't even consider your school because of its lower reputation? I don't think so.

The move still just seems really, really unexplainable to me. He must've just not liked living in Wisconsin/the Midwest and/or didn't get along with Alvarez and/or their President and/or there's some hidden scandal we don't know about and/or they guy's kind of a flake. I suppose we might not ever really find out what happened, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

that was a non burning bridges interview. he left because of his boss.

I keep hearing about Wisconsin's academic standards. Did they become Stanford when I wasn't looking?

Did those high academic standards change appreciably in the 2 years between when he took the job and when he left? I highly doubt it, so the lack of due diligence is on him. Or, he could simply have detested Alvarez. I know I do.

it's all spin. Dodd gets paid to write...gotta write something so Andy Katz says write about the UW.

I see we had more academic all B1G players than Wisconsin. If they want to keep deluding themselves into thinking they are Princeton because their football players need one more elective than OSU's in high school, I guess whatever makes them feel better.

MIT is the fallback school for those who couldn't get into Wisconsin.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

MIT is the fallback school for those who couldn't get into Wisconsin.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

MIT made the D3 playoffs this year for the first time ever. Coincidence? I think not.

I see we had more academic all B1G players than Wisconsin. If they want to keep deluding themselves into thinking they are Princeton because their football players need one more elective than OSU's in high school, I guess whatever makes them feel better.

This is exactly right. I listened to a radio interview on MKE sportsradio with Austin Kafentzis' father the day after Gary Anderson's resignation was announced. He basically explained that he had some frustrations with UW's admissions standards as well, as it was basically requirement of an extra course or 2 in high school, and trying to get those completed on relatively short notice. UW's other admissions standards (in terms of ACT/SAT scores) are no tougher than Minnesota's. If that's your differentiator, great, but it doesn't mean that UW's student-athletes coming in are Rhodes scholars compared to Minnesota et al.

This is exactly right. I listened to a radio interview on MKE sportsradio with Austin Kafentzis' father the day after Gary Anderson's resignation was announced. He basically explained that he had some frustrations with UW's admissions standards as well, as it was basically requirement of an extra course or 2 in high school, and trying to get those completed on relatively short notice. UW's other admissions standards (in terms of ACT/SAT scores) are no tougher than Minnesota's. If that's your differentiator, great, but it doesn't mean that UW's student-athletes coming in are Rhodes scholars compared to Minnesota et al.

But the coaches should know the requirements up front. That is an easy one to control, anyone can count the number of classes a student has taken and then make sure they meet the minimum. You don't wait until the last minute and then complain about the requirements if the student is a credit short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the coaches should know the requirements up front. That is an easy one to control, anyone can count the number of classes a student has taken and then make sure they meet the minimum. You don't wait until the last minute and then complain about the requirements if the student is a credit short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus, its an elective class. Its not like the kids are getting turned away for not taking AP Calculus.

Top Bottom