Kelly will announce later today

Good luck to him. I was hopeful and we looked to be the front-runner early. Looks like a guy who can play some and it's always tough to lose a kid like that.

Grayshirt - Delay enrollment in college for a year, your eligibility clock starts ticking a year later, end up with an extra year to grow and mature. You can't practice, can't be around the team in an official capacity, obviously can't play, etc. MarQueis Gray was effectively a grayshirt (because of the lovely NCAA), and we were initially recruiting Anyanwu and Lauer as grayshirts, though they were on scholarship right away after plans changed. This is a great way to get a player that you think is small/immature/unrefined and have him start his eligibility when he's 19/20 instead of 18/19, or to secure a commitment from a player you really want but don't have space for in your current recruiting class.

Blueshirt - Enroll in college right away as a preferred walk-on with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge promise of a scholarship as soon as feasible, i.e. the following semester or following school year. This is for a guy you want to be with the team and practicing right away (can play if needed) but just don't have a scholarship available to give. Another wrinkle is that the player may not have been recruited in any way prior to joining the team.

So with a Greyshirt the kid is essentially taking a year off from college? Can those kids get jobs and do whatever they want? I'm assuming teams "find jobs" for these guys too then huh?

I've read the a lot of the John Kelly thread in a Tennessee forum and I bet they gave him an ultimatum as UT was also in on two 4 star backs but Kelly was apparently higher on their board. They needed to know whether to move on to the other two or not by this week most likely. That coupled with the brand new 45 million dollar facility they just built a year or two ago, 100,000+ seat Neylan Stadium and the allure of the SEC was probably just too much. UT has ALOT of young talent returning from their sophomore and freshman and another fantastic class coming in and I do think they could very well win the entire SEC in two years. They will do everything that Harbaugh will do at Michigan, just one year ahead of schedule, IMO.

Facilities. Probably the best indoor field in the country.

That complex is incredible. Just incredible.

Go Gophers!!

He dicked a few B1G schools around just to commit to Tennessee about a month after they started recruiting him.

He should've told all non-SEC team schools to leave him alone from the start?

Grayshirt - Delay enrollment in college for a year, your eligibility clock starts ticking a year later, end up with an extra year to grow and mature. You can't practice, can't be around the team in an official capacity, obviously can't play, etc. MarQueis Gray was effectively a grayshirt (because of the lovely NCAA), and we were initially recruiting Anyanwu and Lauer as grayshirts, though they were on scholarship right away after plans changed. This is a great way to get a player that you think is small/immature/unrefined and have him start his eligibility when he's 19/20 instead of 18/19, or to secure a commitment from a player you really want but don't have space for in your current recruiting class.

Blueshirt - Enroll in college right away as a preferred walk-on with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge promise of a scholarship as soon as feasible, i.e. the following semester or following school year. This is for a guy you want to be with the team and practicing right away (can play if needed) but just don't have a scholarship available to give. Another wrinkle is that the player may not have been recruited in any way prior to joining the team.

I was aware of the gray shirt, but didn't really know the workings of a 'blueshirt'. Thanks for summarizing Dpo!

Seems to be pretty evident he was holding out for an SEC offer. He dicked a few B1G schools around just to commit to Tennessee about a month after they started recruiting him. Good luck to the kid

I really don't believe he was holding out for anything, Michigan or an SEC offer. He has always said he was going to wait until signing day, take all of his OV's and let the process play out no matter what ever since last spring and summer. I think he just really enjoys the recruiting process, maybe even a little too much. Seems pretty evident to me he likes attention especially if you look at this twitter, he'll retweet nearly anything you throw at him. And when I say that, I'm not trying to knock him or be negative after not committing here. I've just always noticed that about him.

As I said before in this thread, the reason he committed after such short interest is probably because of an ultimatum that they gave to him, not because he was going to jump on the first SEC offer he got. Before this weekend I really believe that Minnesota, along with Michigan, were truly legitimate factors in his decision making.

I've read the a lot of the John Kelly thread in a Tennessee forum and I bet they gave him an ultimatum as UT was also in on two 4 star backs but Kelly was apparently higher on their board. They needed to know whether to move on to the other two or not by this week most likely. That coupled with the brand new 45 million dollar facility they just built a year or two ago, 100,000+ seat Neylan Stadium and the allure of the SEC was probably just too much. UT has ALOT of young talent returning from their sophomore and freshman and another fantastic class coming in and I do think they could very well win the entire SEC in two years. They will do everything that Harbaugh will do at Michigan, just one year ahead of schedule, IMO.

Facilities. Probably the best indoor field in the country.

Was that entire thing $45 million?? What and the hell are the Gophers going to make with the $150 million Facility?!

Can someone please figure out how they can make that for a third of the cost of ours?? I don't think the Gophers is supposed to be all the luxurious either. I don't get it.

So with a Greyshirt the kid is essentially taking a year off from college? Can those kids get jobs and do whatever they want? I'm assuming teams "find jobs" for these guys too then huh?

Nah they usually enroll 2nd semester (ie now). Most are probably working out or doing what all the other high school grads that don't go right to college are. Then they enroll, go through spring ball and start the next year as true frosh or redshirt frosh. You essentially steal a year of growth.

Was that entire thing $45 million?? What and the hell are the Gophers going to make with the $150 million Facility?!

Can someone please figure out how they can make that for a third of the cost of ours?? I don't think the Gophers is supposed to be all the luxurious either. I don't get it.
Our's includes the basketball facility and academic center of excellence. This is just for football. Obviously If you cut it into thirds that is 50 million for each.

These kids are quickly becoming young adults. If having a slushy machine in the athlete's lounge and a high def TV at the urinal means enough to you to sign with a program that is oversigning and risking having your scholarship pulled, I'm not going to feel too bad for them when it gets pulled. Welcome to life. Choices lead to consequences.

I tend to agree with you assuming these kids are given honest information up front about their status. If it's a "come here, we have plenty of room for YOU" then the story changes once they sign, I have a major problem with that.

Knoxville is a great college town... Best of luck to John Kelly, wish he would have been Golden, but can't fault his choice at all.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"...time to get paid."

Hmm, starting to wonder if he was the type we want anyway. Not something I could see most of our commitments saying.

A nice chunk of our hard earned donation $$ will go to soil decontamination. Yippee.

He should've told all non-SEC team schools to leave him alone from the start?

Of course not. But doesn't it seem odd that the 3 B1G finalists, near his hometown, one of which is a top 5 all-time program, were immediately overpassed when a middling SEC team offered? Tennessee went straight to the top of his list once they offered. Just seemed odd to me, that's all. Of course, that's well within his right to do, and I'm sure he will enjoy his time in Knoxville. Best of luck to him now that he is out of the B1G

Of course not. But doesn't it seem odd that the 3 B1G finalists, near his hometown, one of which is a top 5 all-time program, were immediately overpassed when a middling SEC team offered? Tennessee went straight to the top of his list once they offered. Just seemed odd to me, that's all. Of course, that's well within his right to do, and I'm sure he will enjoy his time in Knoxville. Best of luck to him now that he is out of the B1G

Let's be honest, it doesn't take that long to figure out where you want to go to college. Most kids have a pretty good idea by the summer following their junior year. Kelly grew up in Minnesota and came here twice on his own dime to check things out. He had probably been to Michigan St. 10 times and to Michigan several times. He was waiting for something else...

Top Bottom