Kelly will announce later today

Ruggers

Reaction score
Oak Park (MI) 3* ATH John Kelly announces his decision later today. Finalists: #Michigan #MSU #Gophers #Vols

And he was scheduled to take an official here tomorrow... :cry:

A lot of people predicting it will be Tennessee and that would be my guess as well since just last week he had said he wouldn't announce until Signing Day and now he is announcing today after visiting Tennessee this past weekend. I would be disappointed if he picks Tennessee because it seems like they really just started recruiting him hard in the last couple weeks.

Hm. <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was hoping that with him on campus with Johnson would swing him our way, but it looks like UT will get him.

Can someone explain to me, in a simplistic way, how Tennessee will have its second recruiting class that will be over 30? What do they do???

Can someone explain to me, in a simplistic way, how Tennessee will have its second recruiting class that will be over 30? What do they do???

They play in a conference that produces a ton of NFL talent and there stadium/Football facilities are off the charts.

Just to a name a couple reasons that gives them a leg up.

They play in a conference that produces a ton of NFL talent and there stadium/Football facilities are off the charts.

He's saying that they are oversigning by five, which they did last year as well.

they greyshirt and blueshirt. Basically they do whatever they can to sign the most players they can every year

Don't care about this. I just think oversigning and then pulling schollies / greyshirting / etc. is unethical and is BS.

Don't care about this. I just think oversigning and then pulling schollies / greyshirting / etc. is unethical and is BS.

These kids are quickly becoming young adults. If having a slushy machine in the athlete's lounge and a high def TV at the urinal means enough to you to sign with a program that is oversigning and risking having your scholarship pulled, I'm not going to feel too bad for them when it gets pulled. Welcome to life. Choices lead to consequences.

These kids are quickly becoming young adults. If having a slushy machine in the athlete's lounge and a high def TV at the urinal means enough to you to sign with a program that is oversigning and risking having your scholarship pulled, I'm not going to feel too bad for them when it gets pulled. Welcome to life. Choices lead to consequences.

Amen.

Explain like i'm an idiot, Grey Shirt, Blue Shirt?

Grayshirt - Delay enrollment in college for a year, your eligibility clock starts ticking a year later, end up with an extra year to grow and mature. You can't practice, can't be around the team in an official capacity, obviously can't play, etc. MarQueis Gray was effectively a grayshirt (because of the lovely NCAA), and we were initially recruiting Anyanwu and Lauer as grayshirts, though they were on scholarship right away after plans changed. This is a great way to get a player that you think is small/immature/unrefined and have him start his eligibility when he's 19/20 instead of 18/19, or to secure a commitment from a player you really want but don't have space for in your current recruiting class.

Blueshirt - Enroll in college right away as a preferred walk-on with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge promise of a scholarship as soon as feasible, i.e. the following semester or following school year. This is for a guy you want to be with the team and practicing right away (can play if needed) but just don't have a scholarship available to give. Another wrinkle is that the player may not have been recruited in any way prior to joining the team.

Who says this is what they are doing? I would bet they are upfront with the guys that are going to fall into the greyshirt/blueshirt category. If they weren't then those players would just opt to go somewhere else because they wouldn't be on scholarship and would be free to do anything they wanted to at that point.

Kelly will be announcing in a few minutes, not that anyone should be holding their breath.

I've read the a lot of the John Kelly thread in a Tennessee forum and I bet they gave him an ultimatum as UT was also in on two 4 star backs but Kelly was apparently higher on their board. They needed to know whether to move on to the other two or not by this week most likely. That coupled with the brand new 45 million dollar facility they just built a year or two ago, 100,000+ seat Neylan Stadium and the allure of the SEC was probably just too much. UT has ALOT of young talent returning from their sophomore and freshman and another fantastic class coming in and I do think they could very well win the entire SEC in two years. They will do everything that Harbaugh will do at Michigan, just one year ahead of schedule, IMO.

Facilities. Probably the best indoor field in the country.

Grayshirt - Delay enrollment in college for a year, your eligibility clock starts ticking a year later, end up with an extra year to grow and mature. You can't practice, can't be around the team in an official capacity, obviously can't play, etc. MarQueis Gray was effectively a grayshirt (because of the lovely NCAA), and we were initially recruiting Anyanwu and Lauer as grayshirts, though they were on scholarship right away after plans changed. This is a great way to get a player that you think is small/immature/unrefined and have him start his eligibility when he's 19/20 instead of 18/19, or to secure a commitment from a player you really want but don't have space for in your current recruiting class.

Blueshirt - Enroll in college right away as a preferred walk-on with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge promise of a scholarship as soon as feasible, i.e. the following semester or following school year. This is for a guy you want to be with the team and practicing right away (can play if needed) but just don't have a scholarship available to give. Another wrinkle is that the player may not have been recruited in any way prior to joining the team.

I thought a gray shirt could enroll in the spring? Is that true? If so, can they go through spring ball?

Seems to be pretty evident he was holding out for an SEC offer. He dicked a few B1G schools around just to commit to Tennessee about a month after they started recruiting him. Good luck to the kid

Top Bottom