Hollins says loose rims and Adidas balls had something to do with bad shooting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Andre Hollins -- questioned about the team's 9-for-19 performance from the free-throw line in a 52-49 loss to the Huskers on Tuesday night -- cited something other than the team's mind-boggling inability to hit shots from the charity stripe, a yearlong problem.

"They were loose rims and [Nebraska uses] Adidas balls, that has something to do with it," Hollins said. "But we've still got to knock those down to finish out the play."

The senior guard stopped far short of accusing anyone of cheating. Although Nike and Anaconda Sports The Rock balls are the most popular, Adidas balls are not unusual or unexpected -- Nebraska is sponsored by Adidas. And even if the rims were a little more relaxed than usual, it would have also affected the Huskers, who shot just over 40 percent from the field and went 14-for-21 (66.7 percent) from the line.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/289319131.html

Go Gophers!!

He was referring to his own bad shooting. Anyone that has played a decent amount of b-ball may not like the feel of a ball and/or the rims he is shooting on. Hollins may be making excuses for himself, but not for the rest of his teammates. He's a good shooter, and if he says the ball or the rim affected his shooting, I will believe him.

He was referring to his own bad shooting.

no he's not. did you not read amelia's article? she clearly states, "questioned about the TEAM's performance" (not his own) and then also states "we've still got to knock those down" not I. so not sure where you think this was about his own shooting.

A good coach will have strategy for equipment malfunction. This one's on Pitino.

I think Bill Belicheck had something to do with it.

Damn Husker ball boy snuck an under-inflated one in when we were shooting. Surprised it didn't act like the old Globetrotter bit when the ball stuck to the floor when the ref tried to bounce it.

notwithstanding those BWW commercials, are there things teams do to build in a home court advantage? loose rims and addidas balls unusual?

not sure the raised floor does anything for us. it did feel odd playing on it, but I suck at BBall

notwithstanding those BWW commercials, are there things teams do to build in a home court advantage? loose rims and addidas balls unusual?

not sure the raised floor does anything for us. it did feel odd playing on it, but I suck at BBall
Not sure about the loose rims but the ball often times goes along with the apparel deal for the school. The Gophers are with Nike they use a Nike ball, Nebraska is with Adidas so they use an Adidas ball, Maryland is with Under Armour and I think they use and Under Armour ball some other teams also use Spalding or Wilson balls.

Last year in Nebraska it was the same wasn't it? Only Malik Smith could score. Watching on TV, you can see the rims are kind of funky.

Last year in Nebraska it was the same wasn't it? Only Malik Smith could score. Watching on TV, you can see the rims are kind of funky.

Please stop!

I will end my disappointment with this team as I NOW understand what I am rooting for. I hope that as a SR on the team, at some point he learned to NEVER blame the ball for missed shotS or poor performance and with that as a his post-game sentiment, it pretty much sums up the amount of heart on the team. Also since I am sure he would NEVER have made this excuse if the gophers won this dreadfully played, Hollins has lost any credibility that any of the other posters on here try to give him IMHO.

Those free throws were seriously bricked. A couple of them weren't even close.

I think he meant "tight" rims, which I also was wondering about as I watched. "Loose" rims would be more forgiving.

On the other hand, we were shooting almost 50% from three point territory before that last 0-3 scramble. So why is it just as hard for us to make a FT as making a guarded three point attempt?

Andre, I'm gonna give you a little bit of advice that they don't teach in Carlson.

Don't come up with a sorry excuse like that every again.

Anyone that has ever been a shooter knows that the ball can have a lot of affect on your shot. Some brands just don't "feel" right on your fingertips, some are tougher to grip, some feel heavier or lighter, there's always a ball that you hate and a ball that you love. In my own experience, I feel like I can't miss with the old Spalding TF 1000 ball and there used to be a ball used in JUCO games made by Rawlings that I absolutely could not stand. I am not saying you should use it as an excuse (especially if the Gophers were practicing with the Adidas ball for days leading up to this game), just that it is something that can bother a shooter.

With that said, Andre shot the ball with zero confidence when he went to the line to shoot the technicals in the second half. His first attempt in particular it was blatantly obvious that he was trying to just guide the ball in to the basket rather than take a strong, confident shot. As sad as it is to say, the game against Nebraska was Andre's second best performance of the B1G season at 6-16 for 37.5%. With the notable exception of the Rutgers game, Andre has been under 30(!) percent from the floor in each of his 5 other conference games going in to last night.

Good, now we have lame excuses to go along with the choking. Bet Banham would have shot just fine.

I love Andre hollies, but what's are excuse for the other games we shot horrible from charity stripe.

Hollins

I remember being scarred as a boy when I spent over an hour and all my fun money trying to hit a free-throw to win a prize at the State Fair. Too young to realize those toothless, tattooed carney creeps and their Royal American Shows shyster bosses had shrunk the hoops to not much bigger than ball size. I imagine EE would be reduced to tears if he tried their game.

I remember being scarred as a boy when I spent over an hour and all my fun money trying to hit a free-throw to win a prize at the State Fair. Too young to realize those toothless, tattooed carney creeps and their Royal American Shows shyster bosses had shrunk the hoops to not much bigger than ball size. I imagine EE would be reduced to tears if he tried their game.

GaG...I know of what you speak. I spent 25 cents for 3 shots in that type of hoopster gate, swished all three, won my girl friend a great big teddy bear. When I came back to shoot again, the scruffy guy wouldn't let me. The word got around, and no one patronized his game.

GaG...I know of what you speak. I spent 25 cents for 3 shots in that type of hoopster gate, swished all three, won my girl friend a great big teddy bear. When I came back to shoot again, the scruffy guy wouldn't let me. The word got around, and no one patronized his game.

From now on, you're Ace to me!! Hope you got lucky with the big teddy bear gift.

Free throw shooting is technique, rhythm, and concentration. Nobody would that this year's team is bountiful in that last component.

Loose rims and Adidas balls...reminds me of my college days, Bleed.

You know it's bad when the ridiculous excuses for losses are already being trotted out by a senior leader. What's next? The wood on the floor wasn't right for bouncing a basketball? We were 10 minutes late getting to the arena? My locker was too small? Cripes.

Top Bottom