After crapping the bed, how did you like Pitino giving Miles a big hug?!!!!

Maybe being a Big Ten mens basketball coach comes with a bit of jerk attitude. Our coach (from a couple of sources that I trust) is a bit of a jerk when it comes to dealing with coworkers in the U of M sports administration. Let's just say he is not Jim Dutcher. Is that good or not good? - I don't know. Let's see how it all plays out..

Not surprised. Not saying it's a bad thing, but he certainly comes off as someone who can be snarky at a moments notice.

Didn't Miles offer the hug first? If Pitino just extends his hand instead it would have looked like sour grapes (Tom Crean).

Either way, who cares. They're friends. It's not like it affected the game in any way.

My anger with Pitino right now has nothing to do with how he congratulates the opposing coach for a victory. My concerns have more to do with the frequency with which Pitino is congratulating the opposing coach rather than the other way around.

Maybe being a Big Ten mens basketball coach comes with a bit of jerk attitude. Our coach (from a couple of sources that I trust) is a bit of a jerk when it comes to dealing with coworkers in the U of M sports administration. Let's just say he is not Jim Dutcher. Is that good or not good? - I don't know. Let's see how it all plays out..

If that's the case, his behavior could have contributed to the Gaston admissions situation. If there is a "gray area" decision an administrator isn't going to liberally interpret the rules for someone who is a pain in the ass. As always, it's a human process.

If that's the case, his behavior could have contributed to the Gaston admissions situation. If there is a "gray area" decision an administrator isn't going to liberally interpret the rules for someone who is a pain in the ass. As always, it's a human process.
Perhaps then the bigger adjustment for Pitino here at the U of M is that the football and basketball coaches aren't treated like they walk on water. Here that is reserved for people who can transplant a heart/liver.
Oh and east coasters never do get the hang of MN nice. And for good reason. It's ridiculous.

Perhaps then the bigger adjustment for Pitino here at the U of M is that the football and basketball coaches aren't treated like they walk on water. Here that is reserved for people who can transplant a heart/liver.
Oh and east coasters never do get the hang of MN nice. And for good reason. It's ridiculous.

This season (and next year because it's not going to get any better) could be a great growth experience for the young coach. Unfortunately, it will be on the time and money of the season ticket holders and other loyal fans. I just hope that we get to enjoy the benefit of his painfully gained wisdom and experience and that it doesn't go to another school where he jumps once he has a whiff of actual success. Even though this looks like a Monson season (a poorly coached team that lacks talent mixed with some poor sideline and possible behind the scenes bad behavior), this is not a Monson coach. Pitino is very talented, very bright and very ambitious. He's just not as good (yet) at running a major program as he and we thought he would be.

This season (and next year because it's not going to get any better) could be a great growth experience for the young coach. Unfortunately, it will be on the time and money of the season ticket holders and other loyal fans. I just hope that we get to enjoy the benefit of his painfully gained wisdom and experience and that it doesn't go to another school where he jumps once he has a whiff of actual success. Even though this looks like a Monson season (a poorly coached team that lacks talent mixed with some poor sideline and possible behind the scenes bad behavior), this is not a Monson coach. Pitino is very talented, very bright and very ambitious. He's just not as good (yet) at running a major program as he and we thought he would be.

Can we table any discussion of the possibility of Pitino being hired away by a better basketball program until he has been in the tournament and posted a winning B1G record at least once?

I mean, would you rather have a coach like Tom Crean that no one wants to hug? ;)

Have you ever watched Tom Crean prowl the sidelines? He's got that Rodney Dangerfield tie/collar thing down pretty well.

My anger with Pitino right now has nothing to do with how he congratulates the opposing coach for a victory. My concerns have more to do with the frequency with which Pitino is congratulating the opposing coach rather than the other way around.

Mine too. He's getting really good at congratulating opposing coaches. Might want to work on getting them to congratulate Pitino every once in awhile.

Can we table any discussion of the possibility of Pitino being hired away by a better basketball program until he has been in the tournament and posted a winning B1G record at least once?

I'd love to be in the position of having to be concerned about it. I hope that when things get good he remembers that people supported him when it wasn't so hot.

Have you ever watched Tom Crean prowl the sidelines? He's got that Rodney Dangerfield tie/collar thing down pretty well.

I try to avoid watching him as much as possible ;).

I'd love to be in the position of having to be concerned about it. I hope that when things get good he remembers that people supported him when it wasn't so hot.

People always asked me about this, how I'd feel if he took another job. I still take the stance that I would LOVE to see a MN coach be lured away in my lifetime, I've only seen coaches fired. That means that we're successful!

I try to avoid watching him as much as possible ;).

People always asked me about this, how I'd feel if he took another job. I still take the stance that I would LOVE to see a MN coach be lured away in my lifetime, I've only seen coaches fired. That means that we're successful!

+1 on the bold

I seem to remember Gopher fans being concerned about Mason, Brewster, Kill, Monson, Tubby, and Pitino being hired away (our last 6 coaches in our two biggest revenue sports). Thus far, 4 of them have been fired and 2 are still employed here. We don't need to worry about losing anyone because of some isolated minor success (for example, even if Pitino took the Gophers to the Sweet 16, Duke isn't going to turn its head just because he took a Big Ten school to the Sweet 16 one time). If Alabama football or Kentucky basketball come knocking, its going to be because the coach achieved enough success here that we will be on strong enough footing to hire another great coach of our own.

I haven't noticed that but now I'll certainly be looking for it the next time I watch Indiana.

Of course.

Having said that, moving up is not the only reason coaches leave programs. Some voluntarily take a parallel step or even a step down. Frank Haith left Missouri to take the Tulsa job after Danny Manning went to Wake Forest. Steve Alford left Iowa to go to New Mexico. McDermott left Iowa State to take the Creighton job. The first two coaches' seats were a warming when they departed but the third's could be characterized as hot.

If this year continues to be rough and next year isn't successful, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Pitino move on.

The games over. Give a friend a hug if you want. It doesn't change the outcome of the game if you give him a hug or punch him in the gut. I don't get this foolish attitude that you have to project a disgust for your opponent after you've been beaten. Games over. Move on.

Top Bottom