STrib on Diedhiou: raw talent, potential and size are evident

I just like the phrase: mysterious international power forward, Gaston Diedhiou. Sounds like a character from a Bond movie. (or maybe the next Austin Powers movie....)

From my perspective, in recruiting, if you're not a top-20 power school, sometimes you take what you can get. If Pitino could land a polished big man who was ready to step into the lineup and play major minutes, he'd take that type of player in a heartbeat. The fact the Gophers wound up with the unpronounceable trio of raw prospects tells you that was what Pitino could get at this stage of his career.

Maybe some of the guys who follow this recruiting stuff more closely could answer this: is there a JUCO PF out there who could come in next year and present a significant upgrade over the current roster? If there is someone like that available, I'd like to see the Gophs go after them.

No, not at this time. If there was, we'd be all over him. They're out there looking though.

No, not at this time. If there was, we'd be all over him. They're out there looking though.

That's the thing. Even someone like J'son Stamper would really help us out. An undersized (height wise at least), offensively limited bull of a PF who could come in and rebound/knock some folks around would be huge. Is there really nobody out there like that for us to land?

That's the thing. Even someone like J'son Stamper would really help us out. An undersized (height wise at least), offensively limited bull of a PF who could come in and rebound/knock some folks around would be huge. Is there really nobody out there like that for us to land?

Or Coffey, or Puchel. I'll take Randy Carter. I'll even take a Miles Tarver. Some elbows need to be thrown!

No. Really no one out there like that at this time. If there was a Jason Stamper available we'd sign him in a heartbeat I believe. The closest thing available right now is Cullen Russo, who we're looking at. Still he's more of a 3-4, so not exactly what we're looking for. We'll be in the market for a Sr grad transfer, a hardship transfer, etc. Right now there's just no one worth a schollie.

A Andre Ingram like player would earn significant minutes. Was he even a 3 star recruit? We should be able to find something!

Or Coffey, or Puchel. I'll take Randy Carter. I'll even take a Miles Tarver. Some elbows need to be thrown!

Yep, like the fellas', but we could use a dash of nasty on this team. That was never more apparent than in the Ohio State game, when we let a smack-talking freshman do whatever he wanted in the first half. Don't have to be cheap (like Walter Pitchford), but there's no rule against making an opposing player aware you're in the vicinity, especially one feeling way too comfortable with the ball.

A Andre Ingram like player would earn significant minutes. Was he even a 3 star recruit? We should be able to find something!

You give Pitino Andre Ingram and this team is .500 in the B1G. The staff would be thrilled to find an Andre Ingram type.

Yep, like the fellas', but we could use a dash of nasty on this team. That was never more apparent than in the Ohio State game, when we let a smack-talking freshman do whatever he wanted in the first half. Don't have to be cheap (like Walter Pitchford), but there's no rule against making an opposing player aware you're in the vicinity, especially one feeling way too comfortable with the ball.

I agree, you don't have to be cheap. Hard fouls or maybe take a guy and throw him to the ground when going for a rebound after he keeps pushing you in the back and the refs won't call it.

There is a million ways to make your physical presence known without hurting an opponent.

You give Pitino Andre Ingram and this team is .500 in the B1G. The staff would be thrilled to find an Andre Ingram type.

What's interesting is does the lunch pail guy we are asking for fit in Pitino's system? Or does Pitino need to adjust his schemes to include a lunch pail type of guy?

My opinion is in the Big Ten, you need a couple Stamps or Coffey's on your team.

Top Bottom