Still have faith in Pitino?

I'll tell you this, the next coach won't have a big name like Richard Pitino. If they can't capitalize on this, and bring the program back to national prominance, and/or build some elite facilities, before he leaves, I think the program is as good as doomed.

I don't usually chime in on these idiotic threads, but the above two sentences including the bolded portion is easily the most ridiculous thought I've read on here in a long time (poster since 2004). But don't take my word for it, something called ESPN also has an opinion:http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/50-in-50-series

We didn't think Tubby was the guy to do that. So we moved on. We thought that to build a program we should go young and get an up and coming coach(you even admitted to thinking he'll be good or even great one day). Point is if he leaves to go somewhere better than I'm happy for that. I don't want to fire another coach I want the team to be so good coaches come here and then succeed.

lastly "At the rate elite kids are leaving MN" Pitino had less than a year on the Big 3 or 4. Jarvis is the 2nd best recruit in the state! we got him. Michael hurt in 2016 is the 2nd best in that year too. So 2 years in a row we will get the 2nd best with a shot at the best in 2016 still. That is not bad considering how few players stay home for college in the country as a whole.

Bingo.

With every game on TV, mom & dad can watch you wherever you go.

I'm sorry, can you refresh us on when this program had national prominence? This program has two B1G championships with one being stricken from the record books. This program has been like a mid-major program that gains relevance once every 15 years or so. There is no way that Pitino will "doom" this program, even if he isn't successful. Look at the trail of mediocrity to failure that came after Clem's scandal. We have no other choice but to move up cause we've been dwelling at the bottom for a long time.

Pitino is doing fine. At minimum, he'll have this program where it normally is...bottom/middle. At best...our 15 year window of opportunity is coming soon! Kick back and enjoy the ride...or get off...your choice.

Yep, that's probably the long and short of all of this.

Disagree. Depends what you value. I think Jarvis will have more control of the game and thus more upside. Illk. Will be good too but Jarvis has more potential

Well I like Illikanen's future more, and will be surprised if he's not a stud at Wisconsin. I think Pitino is wrong not to have held a spot for him if he thought Alex would eventually commit.

P.S. I hope I'm wrong and Jarvis becomes Melo Trimble.

Well I like Illikanen's future more, and will be surprised if he's not a stud at Wisconsin. I think Pitino is wrong not to have held a spot for him if he thought Alex would eventually commit.

P.S. I hope I'm wrong and Jarvis becomes Melo Trimble.

I hope Illikanen has a good career but I don't see him as a big time stud. I have seen him up close probably 6-7 times (none this year) and I always thought he was solid but never once thought he would be anything but an off-the-bench player in d1. That could be a wrong opinion going forward, but I agree with bemidjigopher, Jarvis has a lot more upside.

I'm just basing that on the various rating agencies. I don't have enough knowledge to differentiate who is better between a good Forward and a good Guard.

All you have to remember is, a good forward and a good guard go hand in hand..................just not on campus.

Gophers so far in B1G play hold a PhD in playing well enough to lose. It's like a football team that piles up 500 yards in offense, turns the ball over 4 times, and loses by FG, over and over.

Stop making mistakes (turnovers, missed free throws, defensive lapses, offensive indecision) and they'll start playing well enough to win.

Then RP can be credited with really teaching these guys to win!

Why isn't he banned for having an opinion, and posing a question? I hope this is sarcasm or some kind of joke. Otherwise, "how come you ain't," banned for being an irrational homer with awful grammar?

I mean, he has a valid point if you take off your blinding homer glasses:

Just because he's Rick Pitino, Jr. doesn't mean squat for his abilities. What has he done to show you that he deserves to be considered an elite college bball coach at this point? Even a good bball coach at the B1G level? The fact that he led FIU to roughly a .500 record in the Sun Belt? Wow, impressive. Do you really think the NIT was his doing? That he had that much to do with Mighty Mouse and Austin Hollins completely out of their gords in the NIT tournament? (and let's not forget, they played some bad teams in the NIT tournament, very bad. They beat an American conference team in the finals). If so, why doesn't he get the blame for tanking three easy wins (Nebraska, NW, Purdue) to blow their tournament hopes? Is it his 9-16 career B1G record, with losses in teh barn to Northwestern, Purdue, and an awful Michigan team? He hasn't been able to beat Nebraska yet. Nebraska. We're talking about basketball here. He's lost to Purdue 2 of 3 times. He has 3 wins against ranked teams in 13 tries.

That's all he's got on his resume at this point. I'm sorry, if you're consistently losing to Purdue and Nebraska at this point, with a better team (I don't care how much they've improved since 2012-13, the Gophers should be a much better program at this point) you're not doing a very good job as a coach. I don't care how close the losses are, it doesn't change the standings. Recruits don't care about moral victories, and close losses to bad teams don't get you on ESPN. This isn't horseshoes, it's B1G basketball. They're all dogfights. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about moral victories, and how "close" they are. Bottom line, they're 1-6 in the B1G right now, and their schedule has NOT been tough.

I believe he will be a great coach someday, I'm only saying that I can definitely see the other side of this argument. It's not as cut and dried as all you uber-homers think. But, it doesn't matter, he'll be gone within a couple years anyway. It's basically common knowledge to anyone familiar with the program that he hates it here. Those who don't believe the "rumors" are in absolute denial. He's already as good as gone, whether he succeeds here or not. In my opinion, I give it an absolute maximum of three more seasons, after this one. You don't think other schools competing for the same recruits as Pitino know this? That's why he'll never get a big-time top 25-50 prospect in here (just watch Coffey and Trent go elsewhere).

I'll tell you this, the next coach won't have a big name like Richard Pitino. If they can't capitalize on this, and bring the program back to national prominance, and/or build some elite facilities, before he leaves, I think the program is as good as doomed. They will slink back near the bottom of the B1G for a sustained period of time.

I think there is definitely a reasonable concern about the speed at which he can rebuild this program. Especially when he has apparently already made it known to people close to the program that he really doesn't enjoy it here. There's a short window. At the rate elite kids are leaving MN, and top 100 players avoid us like the plague, it could be a rough ride if Pitino doesn't bring the program back to recruiting respectability before he leaves.

I must have pulled a Rip Van Winkle and slept through the days when top 100 players were coming to the U all the time and when the program was ever at the level of "national prominence". For someone who says they have some kind of inside knowledge that Pitino hates it at the U, you'd think you'd understand these kind of things.

And once again, you choose to read what you want to. Virtually everyone has expressed disappointment and frustration with this season. That is not why people have gone off on the OP. He has essentially said that Pitino should be fired already ("Blow it the fuc& up....."). It isn't going to happen. If you pay attention to his posts, he makes everything into something negative. He's already made up his mind about Pitino (he certainly has a right to do that but everyone else has a right to think he's being ridiculous and over the top).

I'd be really curious where you have heard Pitino doesn't like it here. It certainly is possible but it has never been reported by anyone ever.

I must have pulled a Rip Van Winkle and slept through the days when top 100 players were coming to the U all the time and when the program was ever at the level of "national prominence". For someone who says they have some kind of inside knowledge that Pitino hates it at the U, you'd think you'd understand these kind of things.

And once again, you choose to read what you want to. Virtually everyone has expressed disappointment and frustration with this season. That is not why people have gone off on the OP. He has essentially said that Pitino should be fired already ("Blow it the fuc& up....."). It isn't going to happen. If you pay attention to his posts, he makes everything into something negative. He's already made up his mind about Pitino (he certainly has a right to do that but everyone else has a right to think he's being ridiculous and over the top).

I'd be really curious where you have heard Pitino doesn't like it hear. It certainly is possible but it has never been reported by anyone ever.

I'm with ya!

Tonight is deeply concerning. Season on the line against a vastly inferior team at home and we get our @sses handed to us.

This season as a whole has been a bigger disappointment than last year was a nice surprise. I am to the point now where it wouldn't bother me if Coach Pitino left. I am not saying I want him to leave, and still think he could be a good coach, but this year has been a complete disaster. With as weak as the Big Ten is this year, this teams floor should have been 10-8. To be staring 6-12/7-11 in the face is alarming and can't be blamed solely on underachieving players. We've got ONE guy coming back next year who has established himself as a B1G player in Nate Mason. Everyone else returning is either super raw (Bakary, Gas) or a bench guy at best (King, Morris).

Not calling TO's late in games that turn into turnovers
sticking to a defense that proves that BigTen teams can score at will against
offense that Hopkins could defense against
seems to be losing players attention and attitudes

yeah i think he is clearly on the warm seat and getting close to the hot seat.

I give him ne more year to show some signs of improvement and then I willvstart to draw attention to something else until we get a new/real coach in here

Like I said in another thread a while ago, not every coach starts out great. Still way too early to lose faith. He's had less than 2 years and less than 2 recruiting classes. I'm holding off judgement until his 4th year. Until then, he's our coach and I'm all in.

I give him ne more year to show some signs of improvement and then I willvstart to draw attention to something else until we get a new/real coach in here

Sorry, he's nowhere near the hot seat and won't be till the end of next year if we have another bad season. Unless you want to fire a coach and rebuild the program every 2 years... Good programs have this crazy thing called stability.

That's the second time you've posted this. We played both zone and man tonight. Neither worked.

As for Pitino, it's hard not to be concerned. This team should be a lot better than they have shown. The effort and execution has not been good. We have to see improvement next year and that will be very tough with so many young guys.

This season as a whole has been a bigger disappointment than last year was a nice surprise. I am to the point now where it wouldn't bother me if Coach Pitino left. I am not saying I want him to leave, and still think he could be a good coach, but this year has been a complete disaster. With as weak as the Big Ten is this year, this teams floor should have been 10-8. To be staring 6-12/7-11 in the face is alarming and can't be blamed solely on underachieving players. We've got ONE guy coming back next year who has established himself as a B1G player in Nate Mason. Everyone else returning is either super raw (Bakary, Gas) or a bench guy at best (King, Morris).

The hardest part about enduring this awful season, is that this was probably going to be the best of the first 3 by far. Now what?

The hardest part about enduring this awful season, is that this was probably going to be the best of the first 3 by far. Now what?

Now what? You sit back and relax and watch the next 3 seasons play out. All your enduring of an awful season isn't going to change anything.

Teague & Ellis aren't going to fire their first hire at the school after 2 seasons. Basketball supposedly where they have the most knowledge. They will play this out as long as they can.

That's a good question. I thought about starting a thread tonight asking if this was rock bottom? Pitino said on his coaches show Monday that Andre Hollins had separated himself as his teams best players and how he (Pitino) thought it was tough to win without a best player. Well, who the hell is going to be our best player next year? I like Nate Mason, but Kimani Young even admitted that Mason has some physical limitations that will prevent him from being a star. I feel ok going in to next year with Mason a starter at a guard spot, but I don't feel ok at all with anyone else on this roster starting next year. Joey King? Absolutely not. He's proven he cannot rebound at this level. Carlos Morris? Regressing as the season goes on which is strange for a JUCO. Can't trust his decision making on offense and his defense has been atrocious in the half court. Charles Buggs? Very good athlete, but the guys in his 4th year post high school and is still not doing things correctly, consistently. Bakary Konate? Gaston Diedhiou? These guys both have so far to go.

I guess we have to hope Pitino is going through a coaches version of a Sophomore slump.

I was always part of the camp that wanted to give Pitino at least three recruiting classes before I judged him and I guess I still will agree with that; however with a growing sense of trepidation. When you lose to northwestern, the talent argument is out the window entirely. We are more talented, more experienced, and had much more on the line...that's on coach. We don't need five star recruits to beat the worst team in the BIG at home. Even more alarming is how Pitino's recruits are panning out.

Matthieu- not even half the player he was last year
Morris- out of control, and extremely selfish, horrible judgement
King- too easy of a target
Gaston- he takes up space?
Konate- ? Donde estas?

Mason seems to have "it". Hope he continues to improve.

Maybe once this team gets turned over next year with all players that fit Pitino's system, these issues will magically resolve themselves. Here's to hoping!

Now what? You sit back and relax and watch the next 3 seasons play out. All your enduring of an awful season isn't going to change anything.

Teague & Ellis aren't going to fire their first hire at the school after 2 seasons. Basketball supposedly where they have the most knowledge. They will play this out as long as they can.

Of course not, and no one's saying they should fire him. But saying 'sit back and watch 3 more years no matter what' is equally ridiculous. Next year is key. The idea that we can have another season like this and be sitting here next year saying 'give him 2 more years..' is not viable.

Of course not, and no one's saying they should fire him. But saying 'sit back and watch 3 more years no matter what' is equally ridiculous. Next year is key. The idea that we can have another season like this and be sitting here next year saying 'give him 2 more years..' is not viable.

Not viable for who? The decision is with the AD and highly unlikely he gives up on his hire after next season regardless how the season turns out.

I was always part of the camp that wanted to give Pitino at least three recruiting classes before I judged him and I guess I still will agree with that; however with a growing sense of trepidation. When you lose to northwestern, the talent argument is out the window entirely. We are more talented, more experienced, and had much more on the line...that's on coach. We don't need five star recruits to beat the worst team in the BIG at home. Even more alarming is how Pitino's recruits are panning out.

Matthieu- not even half the player he was last year
Morris- out of control, and extremely selfish, horrible judgement
King- too easy of a target
Gaston- he takes up space?
Konate- ? Donde estas?

Mason seems to have "it". Hope he continues to improve.

Maybe once this team gets turned over next year with all players that fit Pitino's system, these issues will magically resolve themselves. Here's to hoping!

Would you consider Mathieu and King really as a real recruiting class? I know he did recruit them, but Pitino got hired in what April? Those guys were basically fill in players for that class because we needed some players. And Pitino didn't even have a full season of coaching under his belt here to recruit for the 2014 class of Konate, Gaston, Morris and Mason so 2015 is really the first real class that has been able to see Pitino coach for a full season. Watching next years recruits will be a better indication I think. Thoughts?

Top Bottom