Time to go young!

Big Ten Championship

Reaction score
The seniors can get some time off the bench, but they have lost the right to start the game. Dre, Andre, Mo, and Elliot all had potential but none of them could step up tonight or during any of our 6 Big Ten losses. Just makes sense to move on with starting the younger players and making the seniors come off the bench.

At least Morris, Mason, and Buggs are athletes and King, Konate, and Diedeu haven't peaked.

You get what you earn, and the bench is what the seniors have earned and deserve.

Hollins' 52 points in the last two games have earned him a spot on the bench.

I don't like this attitude though. You always put the best players on the floor and try to win the game.

100% agree. I was so excited to see Diedhiou tonight and also see Konate have his best game of his young career. It will be a blast of fresh air to have an entirely revamped back-court next year. I really want to see our young front court develop this year so we can hit the ground running when the cavalry arrives.

Our seniors have had every opportunity to step up. If I'm gonna sit here watch a team decimate itself with mistakes, and lapsed judgment; I'd rather see guys that are freshman, learning the game and gaining vital experience for years to come!

Gotta start going young. Pitino has no choice. The seniors (other than Hollins who still needs to play 30+ minutes) can still contribute to winning some games but they need to earn it by playing a lot better than they are. Go young! I am confident that this staff is going to be recruiting their fannies off to fix this roster. Now is the time to figure out who they have that they can grow with.

You play the best players it is as simple as that whether they are Freshmen or Seniors.

100% agree. I was so excited to see Diedhiou tonight and also see Konate have his best game of his young career. It will be a blast of fresh air to have an entirely revamped back-court next year. I really want to see our young front court develop this year so we can hit the ground running when the cavalry arrives.

Our seniors have had every opportunity to step up. If I'm gonna sit here watch a team decimate itself with mistakes, and lapsed judgment; I'd rather see guys that are freshman, learning the game and gaining vital experience for years to come!

Thank goodness you're not in charge. No coach is going to sacrifice what he feels is his best chance to win at this point in the season to play guys "learning the game and gaining vital experience." It makes it even more maddening, but we easily could have won all but one of the BIG games. People bitch about this team having no heart, but they're the first ones to give up. NIT is starting to look like a long shot, but this is still a team that could get on a roll and get to the finals of the BIG tournament.

Thank goodness you're not in charge. No coach is going to sacrifice what he feels is his best chance to win at this point in the season to play guys "learning the game and gaining vital experience." It makes it even more maddening, but we easily could have won all but one of the BIG games. People bitch about this team having no heart, but they're the first ones to give up. NIT is starting to look like a long shot, but this is still a team that could get on a roll and get to the finals of the BIG tournament.

Huh?

Yeah we could roll in in the BIG tournament.... If we have guys playing than can rebound, and be a defensive presence down low. I said nothing about benching guards. I speak only of our front court. If you you think Mo and Eliiot are hands down better players than our freshman bigs in every facet of the game, then I guess I am happy you are not in charge!

You can 'go young' by playing Konate over EE, and getting Gaston some minutes here and there. But that's it. You don't bench everyone or do anything drastic. The only 'young' players who figure to start next year are Mason and Konate, and Mason's already starting. There's not much Pitino can do that he hasn't already done to 'go young.'

If we "go young" who is going to score points inside the arc? Gaston and Konate have ZERO offensive game, I'm not even sure we'll see anything offensively from them next year, they are so far away. We'll see the same thing next year (crowd our guards, dare them to throw it into the block); Richard's strategy of recruiting guards and ackward big men not paying off. Might need to try out a wing that is over 6'3"???

when i first saw the thread title, I was wondering what this would be about. reminded me of a friend's coffee mug "you're only as young as the women you feel"

if we had just a little more (of something) in this team, couldn't the team be with just one loss in the bigten? the games are close and we are on the wrong side. I'm not ruling out a second half run or a run in the bigten tourney. too early to go young

They would have to be opposite bucky to make a run in the tourney. Whisky had 1 turnover smoking Iowa last night! 1.

They would have to be opposite bucky to make a run in the tourney. Whisky had 1 turnover smoking Iowa last night! 1.

Agree.

If nothing else, this team has proven (other than the Maryland game) it will be IN GAMES, a small consolation, I know. Gophers just need to keep plugging away & don't cash in the season (I don't think they will). It's pretty clear now there's only one path to the NCAA Tournament, so they need to keep that carrot in the back of their minds as they try to win some games before Chicago. It's the hand Gophers have been dealt because of their inability to finish games at closing time.

Have seen enough of the Big Ten this season to not fear anyone, other than Wisconsin. If the Badgers are on the opposite side of the bracket (maybe someone else will knock them off ahead of us?), maybe the Gophers get on a run and survive & advance for a few days? Several of the traditional powers (Michigan, MSU, OSU) are nowhere near as good as they've been in recent years. They all have significant warts. That helps. Add in the fact the Gophers should play in Chicago with absolutely nothing to lose, and one never knows. Crazier things have happened.

Do think it's imperative to avoid playing Wednesday @ the BTT. Winning 4 straight (yes, I know we only have 1 win) doesn't seem as daunting vs. a solid but not great Big Ten. 5 in 5 days, like UConn did in 2011? Not so much.

Huh?

Yeah we could roll in in the BIG tournament.... If we have guys playing than can rebound, and be a defensive presence down low. I said nothing about benching guards. I speak only of our front court. If you you think Mo and Eliiot are hands down better players than our freshman bigs in every facet of the game, then I guess I am happy you are not in charge!

Oh, your feelings are hurt. Pretty much confirms I'm right about your level of maturity. And, yes, Mo and Elliot are hands down better players at this point. If you actually knew the game, it's not that hard to come to that conclusion.

I agree with the notion of getting the younger players some valuable PT, sometimes u gotta start em to get this accomplished, sometimes you don't.
If we are gonna lose anyway make sure the guys of the future are developing as well.

Hollins seems to be regaining his mojo, as long as this trend continues he NEEDS to be on the court.

Oh, your feelings are hurt. Pretty much confirms I'm right about your level of maturity. And, yes, Mo and Elliot are hands down better players at this point. If you actually knew the game, it's not that hard to come to that conclusion.

1. I'm really hurt.
2. When did we assess my level of maturity?
3. Mo and Elliot are hands down better players? Is that why Elliot played 3 minutes? ( less than Gaston and Bakary). I'll take Bakary's 7 rebound night with his ability to alter shots over Mo's 4 point and 3 turnover effort.
4. Any recommendations to help me learn the game of basketball?

Top Bottom