Kill, Sawvel visit Cobb at Senior Bowl practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Former University of Minnesota running back David Cobb got a surprise visitor after the North team practice at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday: Golden Gophers coach Jerry Kill, who was in the area on a recruiting trip with his wife Rebecca and defensive backs/special teams coach Jay Sawvel, stopped by practice to wish Cobb well. Cobb, who ran for 2,828 yards the last two seasons and broke Laurence Maroney's single-season rushing record this season, spent some time chatting with his former coaches on the field after practice. "It's definitely great," Cobb said. "When you can come off practice and see your head coach and his wife, and he's so proud of you, and you see one of your defensive/special teams coaches -- who's the smartest guy I know -- man, it's a blessing to have so many people supporting you."

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-v...9/vikings-notes-from-day-1-of-the-senior-bowl

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

That last one is funny since most gopher fans would consider Kirkwood and especially nugget to be MUCH more compact and bowling-ballesque than Cobb.

Also Russ Lande on BTN today said he believes Cobb will be a top 50 pick. Good to see three Big Ten RBs, Cobb, Langford and Abdullah, all representing the North.

^agreed, goes to show how much of a speed/talent difference there is at the NFL. Guys like Cobb arent the juking speedsters anymore, they are the physical between the tackle guys.

We should get at least 3 guys drafted this year in Williams, Cobb, and Wilson based on educated guesses. Tommy O. announced on KFAN that he is done with football and ready to move on in life.

Nice to see that Cobb is showing up well at the Senior Bowl. Hopefully he will grade out well at the combine and land a decent draft pick. Like Maxx, regardless of where he gets drafted I just hope he lands in a good situation. He seems like the type of back that could have a relatively long career as a solid back for someone.

"It's definitely great," Cobb said. "When you can come off practice and see your head coach and his wife, and he's so proud of you, and you see one of your defensive/special teams coaches -- who's the smartest guy I know -- man, it's a blessing to have so many people supporting you."

Great quote and it says a lot about the type of guy Cobb is and the mutual respect he and the coaches have.

We should get at least 3 guys drafted this year in Williams, Cobb, and Wilson based on educated guesses. Tommy O. announced on KFAN that he is done with football and ready to move on in life.
Great for Tommy. If he is like his brother Ed, in a year he'll look more like a surfer than football player. The change was astounding.

That last one is funny since most gopher fans would consider Kirkwood and especially nugget to be MUCH more compact and bowling-ballesque than Cobb.

Also Russ Lande on BTN today said he believes Cobb will be a top 50 pick. Good to see three Big Ten RBs, Cobb, Langford and Abdullah, all representing the North.

I agree. Although the dimensions really sound bowling ball-like. In uniform and when he runs he looks leaner than a lot of other guys including Kirkwood who is probably of similar size. I think Cobb must have a bigger upper body which is disguised by pads.

Going to miss watching DC a lot. Got to meet him a couple times and he is a great guy. I look forward to watching him on sundays and, like others, hope he lands in a great situation.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Thank you, David Cobb, for playing out your four years and giving your team a huge boost in '14. Best of luck in the Senior Bowl and beyond - and, yes, it was great that your coaches came by to lend support.

It was probably a blessing for Cobb that he did not play the first two years.

I think Cobb's time waiting in the wings made him more mature, hungry and focused. The other plus is he didn't take the extra beatings or typical pounding of say a Wisconsin or Nebraska back from Freshman year on. Not taking those extra beatings and being smart about taking care of himself will pay off in the long run for his pro career. Whoever ends up with #27 in the NFL is going to get a workhorse of a back, a good teamate, and a guy who just keeps coming and getting better as the game plays on. Cobb may not be lightening quick but he is fast enough and shifty enough to make people miss and doesn't get tackled easy. I think he will be a better pass catcher and route runner with the right system also.
Wish the Vikings would take a look at drating him, he would look good in Purple and gold.
Going to be pretty cool seeing some Gopher dudes get drafted and even some get free agent looks this offseason. That is when you know your football program is starting to look up.

I'm loving this - we really need a repeat visit from the "professional" "scout" who said Cobb would be a (as memory serves) "low priority undrafted free agent."

My favorite Gopher looks like he's really raising his stock. Think he could be the best of this year's backs in terms of productivity at the next level. He never relied on his speed as his tool to create space like Abdullah and to a lesser extent Gordon. He read his blocks well and did subtle things to turn 1 yard gains into 6-7 yarders and he rarely seemed to lose yards. Plus he can bang it up inside the tackles. So excited to see where this great ambassador for the Gopher program ends up. All the best DC27

I'm loving this - we really need a repeat visit from the "professional" "scout" who said Cobb would be a (as memory serves) "low priority undrafted free agent."

Yeah...he really killed it with his "analysis"

Rumor is that Murray will declare early, so I've done eval for him as well. He's pretty highly thought of among Midwest/B1G scouts.

Cobb will be a low priority FA signing if that. May just be best to call it a career.

He will very likely run 4.70+ with poor shuttle and three-cone scores. He unfortunately doesn't have NFL chops.

Whoever has hired jshowers to scout, should ask for their money back... lol

Go Gophers!!

Man, for Cobb's sake I hope he doesn't get drafted by the Browns. Where NFL talent goes to die. The Saints or Panthers would be much better for him and he would be playing with much more stable and consistent franchises.

Thank you, David Cobb, for playing out your four years and giving your team a huge boost in '14. Best of luck in the Senior Bowl and beyond - and, yes, it was great that your coaches came by to lend support.

+1. My sentiments as well. Thanks David, thank you. Ski-U-Mah!

New Orleans newspaper:

At Senior Bowl, Minnesota's David Cobb trying to show he can be do-it-all running back

If the Saints decline to shell out much money for Ingram, they're unlikely to invest in an early-round running back for the same reasons. But would a mid- or late-round back make more sense?

Minnesota's David Cobb might be available, and he fits the mold of a big, durable back who's still athletic enough to contribute on every down. We listed him on our five intriguing players to watch for this week's Senior Bowl.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/01/at_senior_bowl_minnesotas_davi.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I'd love to see him in Vikings purple. It will be a great local story and reminder for current Gopher players that the dream of playing on Sundays is attainable through hard work, patience, and positive attitude.

Lots of people giving Cobb praise.

Boom.

Top Bottom