STrib: Philip Nelson to plead guilty in Mankato assault

Way to miss the point.

It wasn't a good point and that is why he ignored it. Nelson started the fight by shoving Kolstad and acting like a jerk and he ended it by kicking Kolstad in the head and almost killing him. Nelson deserves more blame than Kolstad for what happened and he deserves far more punishment for the injuries he caused.

The posters who are putting most of the blame on Kolstad for this whole sorry mess have no sense of proportion. I would guess that a large percentage of posters in GopherHole have been in a fight and taken a swing at the other person just like Kolstad did to Nelson. I would also guess that nobody here has ever kicked another guy in the head while he was lying on the ground and not moving a muscle. Anyone who tries to excuse what Nelson did is completely off base and has the wrong values and priorities in life.

It wasn't a good point and that is why he ignored it. Nelson started the fight by shoving Kolstad and acting like a jerk and he
ended it by kicking Kolstad in the head and almost killing him. Nelson deserves more blame than Kolstad for what happened and he deserves far more punishment for the injuries he caused.

Think you may be twisting some details around there but I could be wrong. At no point in this have i heard anyone, outside of you just now, say that Nelson's kick nearly killed Kolstad. The medical info that was released attributed the brain damage to the blow to the head followed by the impact with the pavement. Doesn't remove blame from Nelson for his actions that night, but you clearly want to put all the blame on Nelson and make Kolstad the victim.

It wasn't a good point and that is why he ignored it. Nelson started the fight by shoving Kolstad and acting like a jerk and he
ended it by kicking Kolstad in the head and almost killing him. Nelson deserves more blame than Kolstad for what happened and he deserves far more punishment for the injuries he caused.

The posters who are putting most of the blame on Kolstad for this whole sorry mess have no sense of proportion. I would guess that a large percentage of posters in GopherHole have been in a fight and taken swings at the other person just like Kolstad did to Nelson. I would also guess that nobody here has ever kicked another guy in the head while he was lying on the ground and not moving a muscle. Anyone who tries to excuse what Nelson did is completely off base and has the wrong values and priorities in life.

He wasn't "in a fight", he charged at him from behind and hit him with a blind side shot. I'm not defending either of them, but Kolstad was the one who escalated it to a major physical confrontation.

The posters who are putting most of the blame on Kolstad for this whole sorry mess have no sense of proportion. I would guess that a large percentage of posters in GopherHole have been in a fight and taken swings at the other person just like Kolstad did to Nelson. I would also guess that nobody here has ever kicked another guy in the head while he was lying on the ground and not moving a muscle. Anyone who tries to excuse what Nelson did is completely off base and has the wrong values and priorities in life.

Where is anyone trying to excuse what Nelson did? Everyone feels what he did was wrong, but many of us fall in the camp that he should not take all the blame for what happened and that plenty of it should go to Kolstad as well for his actions. And as bleed pointed out, when Kolstad took a swing it wasn't during a fight, he took a run at Nelson from behind.

How's the view up there on your high horse?

I don't see a really anyone doing that. I think what people are saying, myself included, is that there is plenty of blame to go around and IK isn't absent from any blame either.

Everyone invovled has 'blame'. If PN doesn't go out a drink (underage) that night. If IK doesn't go out a drink that night. If PN doesn't shove IK (no video evidence of, only scattered testimony of which has been reported). If IK doesn't blind side PN with a punch (video). If Shelley doesn't hit IK after the punch to PN(video). If PN doesn't kick IK in the the head (video). All of the incident in which the physical altercation happened in less than 8 seconds and changed all these guys' lives forever.

Obviously, the judicial system see things a little differently than you see them as well, hence PN taking a reduced plea.

Where is anyone trying to excuse what Nelson did? Everyone feels what he did was wrong, but many of us fall in the camp that he should not take all the blame for what happened and that plenty of it should go to Kolstad as well for his actions. And as bleed pointed out, when Kolstad took a swing it wasn't during a fight, he took a run at Nelson from behind.
If someone pushes you down without injuring you and starts walking away, you don't get to stand up and kill him.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Iceland12
Thanks, forgot that part. If I remember Nelson went after Kolstad inside the bar first because of that wrong impression. Don't remember if it was just verbally or if Nelson confronted him physically or not.

"Costa Rican Gopher: 100% not physical. Also doesn't sound like Kolstad did anything to defuse that situation. I'm not going to look it up, but Kolstad's friend told the police something to the effect of Kolstad "Easily became offended", then got into it with Nelson both inside & then outside, before Nelson decided to de-escalate it & walk away. Two big bucks locking horns."

Me: "Tragic mix of booze, anger, jealousy and mistaken identity. You can look at all kinds of places where it could have been stopped. Nelson and his girfriend shouldn't have been drinking underage. Nelson didn't have to strike out at Kolstad or mistake him in the first place. Kolstad should have just let it go. He didn't have to slander Veroeven nor break away from his friends who were trying to stop the escalation. He didn't have to take that cheap shot from behind that sent Nelson down.
Shelley didn't have to take his cheap shot that knocked Kolstad down. The people "holding Nelson up" could have held him in check. Nelson didn't need to kick a man already laying out in the street.

Just don't know how people can take sides in this. There are no heroes here. Only a lot of victims of themselves".

Is this the part again where you say that you're not trolling?

newreply.php

It's indicative of your character that you would go back and find a post from before you or I knew Nelson had pushed Kolstad. Since that was established, I've never once claimed it was non physical. I could just as easily post your claims that Nelson started the fight inside the bar, which never happened. In fact it was me telling you that fact that forced you to study up and that's when you realized there had been a push by Nelson, so don't act like you knew wtf was going on. Your premise that if someone offends someone else, that they have then started a fight is preposterous. People accuse, offend, insult others all the time without having to worry about being attacked from behind.

If someone pushes you down without injuring you and starts walking away, you don't get to stand up and kill him.

I really would like to know how many posters would agree that if Nelson had been carrying a gun he would have been within his rights to shoot Kolstad while he was on the ground and not moving. Sadly, I have to believe there are more than a few idiots in GopherHole who think that way.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Iceland12
Thanks, forgot that part. If I remember Nelson went after Kolstad inside the bar first because of that wrong impression. Don't remember if it was just verbally or if Nelson confronted him physically or not.

"Costa Rican Gopher: 100% not physical. Also doesn't sound like Kolstad did anything to defuse that situation. I'm not going to look it up, but Kolstad's friend told the police something to the effect of Kolstad "Easily became offended", then got into it with Nelson both inside & then outside, before Nelson decided to de-escalate it & walk away. Two big bucks locking horns."

Me: "Tragic mix of booze, anger, jealousy and mistaken identity. You can look at all kinds of places where it could have been stopped. Nelson and his girfriend shouldn't have been drinking underage. Nelson didn't have to strike out at Kolstad or mistake him in the first place. Kolstad should have just let it go. He didn't have to slander Veroeven nor break away from his friends who were trying to stop the escalation. He didn't have to take that cheap shot from behind that sent Nelson down.
Shelley didn't have to take his cheap shot that knocked Kolstad down. The people "holding Nelson up" could have held him in check. Nelson didn't need to kick a man already laying out in the street.

Just don't know how people can take sides in this. There are no heroes here. Only a lot of victims of themselves".

Is this the part again where you say that you're not trolling?

newreply.php

I guess we're on the same page then. I've been arguing that they both share blame & that you can't attack someone for accusing you of something. Or for pushing you after you've insulted their girlfriend. From all these posts of yours I was under the impression you were assigning blame for the entire incident to Nelson.

"If I remember Nelson went after Kolstad inside the bar first because of that wrong impression. Don't remember if it was just verbally or if Nelson confronted him physically or not."

"If you think a question about what started it is irrelevant or an excuse for Kolstad's or Nelson's actions you need to get ahold of yourself."

"You have no idea what happened in the bar but you're surprised by today's video. Possible that something similar happened inside. We don't know either way. Still think that it's relevant, you don't."

"None of this happens if Nelson doesn't go after Kolstad inside the bar for talking to his girl after mistaking him for the bouncer. Then Kolstad doesn't sucker punch a guy from behind."

"Fair enough. We just disagree on what started this one."

Okay then. Finally. To bad you didn't read the posts before you went on your rants. Must be a character flaw on you part. Though you forgot the part where Nelson struck out at Kolsatd in your post where you were telling everybody that you "never once" claimed it was "non-physical". Unless that's what you meant by Nelson "offending" someone.

First off, Nelson wasn't just walking away right after shoving Kolstad when he was attacked from behind. On the video he was standing outside talking to people with his back to Kolstad. I could understand Kolstad's actions more if it was immediately after the shove when he took a swing at Nelson but that was not the case.

Personally I am not someone who ever thinks a drunken bar fight is justified. I don't prescribe to that macho BS that a lot of guys think is acceptable behavior. Both guys were being idiots and both guys were in the wrong, tragically it all led to someone getting seriously injured. The unfortunate thing about the whole stupid situation is that it easily could have been avoided if both guys hadn't behaved like morons.

Your take on what happened couldn't be more wrong, Costa. And your belief that Kolstad was a coward for hitting Nelson from behind with his fist after Nelson shoved him, and your implication that Nelson was somehow justified in kicking Kolstad in the head when he was lying on the ground and not moving is unreasonable and illogical. You need to stop this before you lose all credibility in GopherHole for rational thinking.

No, my take is correct which is why Nelson is walking with a misdemeanor and you're bouncing off the walls. What Kolstad did was absolutely cowardly, hitting Nelson from behind. You can't attack someone because they accused you of hitting on their girlfriend. You can't attack someone from behind as they're walking away period, even if they shoved you for insulting their girlfriend.

I really would like to know how many posters would agree that if Nelson had been carrying a gun he would have been within his rights to shoot Kolstad while he was on the ground and not moving. Sadly, I have to believe there are more than a few idiots in GopherHole who think that way.

No one, not one person that I have seen, thinks that Nelson was in his rights to kick Kolstad. A handful of people (guessing you are in this group) however seem to think it was ok for Kolstad to attack Nelson. Not sure why you can't accept that Kolstad played a role in what went down that night as well. Nelson deserves punishment, which is why he is pleading guilty, on the same token his actions that night don't warrant spending the rest of his life in a jail cell.

The answer is no one.

WTF are you talking about?

No, my take is correct which is why Nelson is walking with a misdemeanor and you're bouncing off the walls. What Kolstad did was absolutely cowardly, hitting Nelson from behind. You can't attack someone because they accused you of hitting on their girlfriend. You can't attack someone from behind as they're walking away period, even if they shoved you for insulting their girlfriend.
If your take was fully correct then they'd be charging Kolstad with a crime. They aren't. If Shelley doesn't knockout Kolstad and nearly kill him, there likely aren't any crimes committed. Neither party was injured and there'd be no more cheap shots as they're both looking at each other.

It depends, how big a gun are you talking here?

CRG has a horse in this race. Not sure exactly the angle but his takes on this subject have been slanted/tainted/trolling/terrible/ridiculous from the start. Too bad, he is otherwise (other topics) one of my favorite posters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh realllly? Let's go back to the beginning of that first thread....

You personally called Nelson a "Psychopathic criminal" and a "Psychopath" on multiple occasions while others called him a "madman", talked about his "depraved indifference to human life" and insisted he would do a minimum of 72mos in prison.

My Posts in response to the witch hunt:

- "I'm no lawyer but just to play devil's advocate, I think the prosecution is going to have to prove it was Nelson's kick that caused the injury. The defense will undoubtedly point to the other guy giving the KO punch & slamming head into the concrete as what caused the injury. Also, it was dark/night time & the witnesses were likely drinking. Factor in that Nelson has no priors to my knowledge & I doubt he's going to do 72 mos"

- "The details are starting to come out & that's a good thing. Instead of PN & his buddy attacking some innocent slob & then kicking his head in after he was obviously unconscious, it turns out a 280lb former college linebacker, sucker punched PN from behind so hard he floored him. Nelson obviously shouldn't have kicked the guy in the head, but it seems reasonable that he didn't observe IK & evaluate his condition before kicking him, but rather got himself up off the ground after getting blindsided & in a instinctual rage kicked the guy in retaliation. Again, I'm not saying kicking the guy in the head was ok. I am saying IK was a punk though. 280lb former college linebackers shouldn't be sucker punching people from behind outside of bars at 2am. Especially when they have a wife & baby at home, with another one due in a couple weeks. Sad story, lot's of stupid decisions made by all parties. I think PN's attorney will make a compelling case, backed by witnesses & video, that IK suffered the serious brain injury when he cracked his head on the concrete, not from PN's shoe & that had PN understood how badly he was hurt he wouldn't have kicked him."

- "The same girl also said he was "out on his feet" & when he fell backwards, that he didn't get his hands out to brace himself so he "smoked his head on the pavement". One punch ko's end in death more often than we think & it's almost always the result of the person's head smashing off the concrete because they're unable to get their hands out to brace themselves. I think the concrete is more likely the culprit than Nelson's tennis shoe. I really want to stress that I'm not defending the kick, but I also don't buy the idea that's he's some cold blooded killer either."

- "Not sure how you could possibly think I'm saying Nelson is innocent? Just saying that this wasn't a random attack, this was a chaotic street fight. No one involved, including IK was innocent."

- "I agree 100% that Nelson has some degree of guilt as you said. I'll go a step further and say Nelson had more than some degree, but rather a large degree of guilt, but so too did the other guy (If the reports are true?)."

It wasn't a good point and that is why he ignored it. Nelson started the fight by shoving Kolstad and acting like a jerk and he ended it by kicking Kolstad in the head and almost killing him. Nelson deserves more blame than Kolstad for what happened and he deserves far more punishment for the injuries he caused.

The posters who are putting most of the blame on Kolstad for this whole sorry mess have no sense of proportion. I would guess that a large percentage of posters in GopherHole have been in a fight and taken a swing at the other person just like Kolstad did to Nelson. I would also guess that nobody here has ever kicked another guy in the head while he was lying on the ground and not moving a muscle. Anyone who tries to excuse what Nelson did is completely off base and has the wrong values and priorities in life.

Iceland said Nelson started it by accusing him of flirting with his girlfriend, you say he started it by shoving Kolstad after he insulted Nelson's girlfriend, which is it? Neither of course. You don't get to take a run at someone as they walk away and sucker punch them in the back of the head because they accused you of something or shoved you.

No one, not one person that I have seen, thinks that Nelson was in his rights to kick Kolstad. A handful of people (guessing you are in this group) however seem to think it was ok for Kolstad to attack Nelson. Not sure why you can't accept that Kolstad played a role in what went down that night as well. Nelson deserves punishment, which is why he is pleading guilty, on the same token his actions that night don't warrant spending the rest of his life in a jail cell.

End of thread/

Time for your meds.

Good for Nelson. I think he will bounce back well. Boo the large contingent on here who had him headed straight to Stillwater. Good kid, bad circumstance, fair resolution.

I just re-read the original thread and you were dead nuts on from the beginning.

Okay then. Finally. To bad you didn't read the posts before you went on your rants. Must be a character flaw on you part. Though you forgot the part where Nelson struck out at Kolsatd in your post where you were telling everybody that you "never once" claimed it was "non-physical". Unless that's what you meant by Nelson "offending" someone.

You mean like when you didn't read the posts before you went on your rants assigning blame in this case to Nelson for starting the fight in the bar which never happened? Or the part where you pretended not to be taking sides after insisting over and over that this is all Nelson's fault for accusing Kolstad of flirting with his girlfriend and then changing it to being his fault for shoving Kolstad (after you finally realized he'd shoved him?)? Or the part where you pretend not to be taking sides and continually refer to nelson has having "hit" Kolstad when there's no credible reason to say that?

Now, which of my post are you referencing, let's see it and the date it was posted. Get to work.

Oh realllly? Let's go back to the beginning of that first thread....

You personally called Nelson a "Psychopathic criminal" and a "Psychopath" on multiple occasions

What a load. I never called him either of those things. Apparently facts just aren't very important to you. I stand by my take of your antics through this whole thread.

Now, which of my post are you referencing, let's see it and the date it was posted. Get to work.

Too funny. Just a few posts after you lie about things I said "on multiple occasions", never mind I never said them, you say the above to someone else. Yep, you are a winner.

Too funny. Just a few posts after you lie about things I said "on multiple occasions", never mind I never said them, you say the above to someone else. Yep, you are a winner.

From the original thread of 49 pages....

Spoofin: "You do realize that you and stcgopher are the only two who think "he started it" actually matters here. Also, so you know, kicking an unconscious person in the head is not an "unfortunate manner." It is an unbalanced, psychotic, and criminal manner."

Spoofin: "So now that the details have emerged... is Philip the psychopath?"

I'm not even going through the next 35 pages to find more. You were hell bent on demonizing Phil Nelson from the get-go and you attacked several posters for simply suggesting they were both at fault. It's nice that you've come around now and see yourself as being reasonable, but go back an re-read that thread. You were as biased and unreasonable as could be, no where near suggesting they shared guilt. On the contrary, you were attacking anyone who did say those things. That's all fine, but don't lose your sh*t accusing me of having the agenda, when it was you who had already made up his mind the day the story broke.

Do, where will PN play next year?

I'd say FCS or D-II. No particular school in mind I can think of. Can't imagine it would be FBS, unless somewhere like New Mexico State or another very, very low level FBS school. But I think those chances are small. Who know though, it's certainly possible.

Top Bottom