STrib: Philip Nelson to plead guilty in Mankato assault

Shelley is definitely going behind bars. Kolstad was moving away after toppling a couple drunks with a non-damaging punch/shove. It wasn't a fight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really hope Shelley gets a deal similar to Nelson's. Kolstad threw a sucker punch and Shelley reacted. He didn't pull a knife or a gun, he just threw a better punch than Kolstad.

The real victim is Kolstad's wife. Isaac has to know that she'll be stepping out at some point.

Good for Nelson. I think he will bounce back well. Boo the large contingent on here who had him headed straight to Stillwater. Good kid, bad circumstance, fair resolution.

Obviously a horrible situation, but the wheels of justice turned at their deliberate pace, and short of the invention of a time machine, this (Phil Nelson part anyway) turned out about as well as it could. I am grateful for due process.

Nope, can't even come close to agreeing with you on this one. It's one thing to falsely accuse/confront someone; and completely another thing to bum rush someone from behind and sucker punch them.

Nelson was wrong to kick the man while he was down, but in the words of Chris Rock "I understand!"

Kolstad punishment (life long head trauma), by far out weigh what he did. I wouldn't wish that on almost anyone. But Nelson's punishment (what he went through publicly), while not as bad (remember he didn't throw the first punch/kick) also out weighed what he actually did (hit someone back for sucker punching him.)

The guy who hit Kokstad first? In my opinion he should not face any punishment; it was self defense (considered that when defending someone).

If Lord of The Flies was your legal text.

So, the punch was what leveled Kolstead, and brain damaged him for life. Kind of makes the kick to the head a bigger bitch move. Guy apparently wasn't getting up.

5th degree can be up to 1 year and/or $3000.00 fine.

I'm pretty sure the one year sentence is only for repeat offenders for 5th degree domestic assaults (when it is enhanced to a gross misdemeanor). However, I was also wrong with my original post, you can get up to 90 days (not the 30 days I said) for garden variety misdemeanor assault 5. That's what I get from trying to do this from memory rather than actually checking my sources, sorry for the misinformation earlier.

Shelley is definitely going behind bars. Kolstad was moving away after toppling a couple drunks with a non-damaging punch/shove. It wasn't a fight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It might have been non-damaging, but judging from what I've seen on the video, it wasn't Kolstad's intent not to cause any damage.

So, the punch was what leveled Kolstead, and brain damaged him for life. Kind of makes the kick to the head a bigger bitch move. Guy apparently wasn't getting up.
easy for you to say when you weren't there and you can use hindsight.

I'm pretty sure the one year sentence is only for repeat offenders for 5th degree domestic assaults (when it is enhanced to a gross misdemeanor). However, I was also wrong with my original post, you can get up to 90 days (not the 30 days I said) for garden variety misdemeanor assault 5. That's what I get from trying to do this from memory rather than actually checking my sources, sorry for the misinformation earlier.

Thanks for the clarification on my post.

easy for you to say when you weren't there and you can use hindsight.

It is a very easy thing for anyone to say whether or not they were there Any time someone kicks another human being in the head there is a good chance you might cause brain damage or kill him. This wasn't a war. It was a stupid fight over nothing between a couple of guys who had too much to drink. Nelson wasn't afraid of Kolstad. He saw his opportunity for revenge even though Kolstad was lying on the ground and not threatening him in any way. Nelson made a deliberate decision to inflict a severe injury on Kolstad and he deserves everything that has happened to him since.

It is a very easy thing for anyone to say. Any time someone kicks another human being in the head there is a chance you might cause brain damage or kill him. This wasn't a war. It was a stupid fight over nothing between a couple of guys who had too much to drink. Nelson wasn't afraid of Kolstad. He made a deliberate decision to continue the fight even though Kolstad was lying on the ground and not threatening him in any way. Nelson made a deliberate decision to inflict a severe injury on Kolstad and he deserves everything that has happened to him since. He is extremely lucky that he is not going to jail.

You are exaggerating conscious thought when adrenaline kicked in and whether the cortex was in command of thought during this time. The competing areas of control within the brain could overwhelm rational thought. You have not no evidence that suggests human beings can assert a moral point of view after an assault within the < 6 seconds that his kick ensued. You are guessing. Jail time should not reside on whether your guess is correct or not.

It is a very easy thing for anyone to say. Any time someone kicks another human being in the head there is a chance you might cause brain damage or kill him. This wasn't a war. It was a stupid fight over nothing between a couple of guys who had too much to drink. Nelson wasn't afraid of Kolstad. Nelson saw his opportunity for revenge even though Kolstad was lying on the ground and not threatening him in any way. He made a deliberate decision to inflict a severe injury on Kolstad and he deserves everything that has happened to him since.

There wasn't a referee letting people know Kolstad was out cold. This happened with drunk college kids under 20 seconds. Now if Kolstad was laying there for a minute or 2 and Nelson walked up and kicked him I would agree with you. It happened so fast there is no way Nelson or anyone else would know that Kolstad wasn't getting up to retaliate.

Interesting to hear Tommy Olson on KFAN this morning. He was asked about the Philip Nelson situation. Said he couldn't imagine even being in jail for 90 days and that it was a bad situation. He feels bad for him. Also said he is a great guy, but couldn't handle the "dueling" QB situation. His leadership was not natural and forced. Mitch was a natural leader.

Interesting to hear Tommy Olson on KFAN this morning. He was asked about the Philip Nelson situation. Said he couldn't imagine even being in jail for 90 days and that it was a bad situation. He feels bad for him. Also said he is a great guy, but couldn't handle the "dueling" QB situation. His leadership was not natural and forced. Mitch was a natural leader.

Thanks for sharing that MaxyJR1. I usually trry to catch Tommy O on KFAN on the mornings he is on, but I missed it this moring due to having to blow snow.

It is a very easy thing for anyone to say whether or not they were there Any time someone kicks another human being in the head there is a good chance you might cause brain damage or kill him. This wasn't a war. It was a stupid fight over nothing between a couple of guys who had too much to drink. Nelson wasn't afraid of Kolstad. He saw his opportunity for revenge even though Kolstad was lying on the ground and not threatening him in any way. Nelson made a deliberate decision to inflict a severe injury on Kolstad and he deserves everything that has happened to him since.

Nelson was walking away. You don't get to attack someone from behind because they accused you of flirting with their girlfriend. That doesn't float. Nelson was no threat at all to the larger Kolstad. Kolstad, a 230lb+ college linebacker, got a run at Nelson from behind and tried to take his head off with a sucker punch. It was cowardly. Nelson got up and instinctively went after the guy who had just attacked him from behind. There was no time to "see an opportunity for revenge", make a "deliberate decision to inflict severe damage" or any of your other emotionally charged claims. Your bully-as-victim version was clearly not going to fly in court which is why Nelson is going to walk with a misdemeanor.

Nelson was walking away. You don't get to attack someone from behind because they accused you of flirting with their girlfriend..

"(They) came up to Phil and they're like, 'Hey, dude, best of luck at Rutgers. I hope everything works out,'" Kaus said. "But the kicker is that the bouncer that kissed her hand is half white, half black. Kolstad is half white, half black. Phil thought Kolstad was the bouncer."

When Nelson accused Kolstad of trying to hit on his girlfriend, Kolstad told Nelson he was married and wouldn't do that, Kaus said. At that point Nelson pushed Kolstad hard, which made Kolstad angry. That's when Kaus grabbed Kolstad and Thompson grabbed Nelson and took the men in different directions. Kaus and Thompson both said they tried to keep the other two men from taking the argument any further..

When Nelson and Veroeven were interviewed by investigators, they both said the person who had argued with Nelson and punched him had made comments about Veroeven. Both also said they had never met Kolstad.

"Yea, I mean he was like, you know, I was with your girlfriend," Nelson told an investigator during an interview at the jail. "Like what, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do? Like, I mean that type of stuff."

Nelson admitted to pushing Kolstad before walking away.
He said he was punched in the back of the head seconds later..

Veroeven was interviewed later in the day on May 11. She hadn't talked to Nelson since his arrest. She said Nelson pushed/hit Kolstad, who she had never met before, first but Kolstad started the fight.

"I was standing right next to Philip and the guy goes, 'I'm getting with your girlfriend tonight and that's what put him over the edge," she said..

"(They) came up to Phil and they're like, 'Hey, dude, best of luck at Rutgers. I hope everything works out,'" Kaus said. "But the kicker is that the bouncer that kissed her hand is half white, half black. Kolstad is half white, half black. Phil thought Kolstad was the bouncer."

When Nelson accused Kolstad of trying to hit on his girlfriend, Kolstad told Nelson he was married and wouldn't do that, Kaus said. At that point Nelson pushed Kolstad hard, which made Kolstad angry. That's when Kaus grabbed Kolstad and Thompson grabbed Nelson and took the men in different directions. Kaus and Thompson both said they tried to keep the other two men from taking the argument any further..

When Nelson and Veroeven were interviewed by investigators, they both said the person who had argued with Nelson and punched him had made comments about Veroeven. Both also said they had never met Kolstad.

"Yea, I mean he was like, you know, I was with your girlfriend," Nelson told an investigator during an interview at the jail. "Like what, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do? Like, I mean that type of stuff."

Veroeven was interviewed later in the day on May 11. She hadn't talked to Nelson since his arrest. She said Nelson pushed/hit Kolstad, who she had never met before, first but Kolstad started the fight.

"I was standing right next to Philip and the guy goes, 'I'm getting with your girlfriend tonight and that's what put him over the edge," she said..

2 drunk idiots in a bar looking for a fight. Unfortunately this time one of them suffered severe injuries and the other did massive damage to his football career and life in general. Both guys messed up, both guys acted like morons and BOTH guys deserve to be punished for their actions that night. That being said I don't fall in the camp that seems to think Nelson should rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life for a stupid, drunken, mistake.

This testimony comes directly from Kolstad's friend, the one who claimed Kolstad only hit Nelson in a non-fighting way. :rolleyes: The rest is obviously to be taken with a grain of salt. It's in the same category as Nelson claiming he never kicked Kolstad. Nothing more than people saying what they think will best help themselves or their friends.

You can not get a run at someone from behind and sucker punch them when they're disengaged and walking away from a situation. You can't do it if a person argued with you in a bar earlier. You can't do it if a person accuses you of flirting with their girlfriend outside a bar. You can't do it because a person shoved you after you insulted their girlfriend. It's all attacking someone who poses no threat to you. It's all assault. This is obvious fact that you ignore. I'm sorry Kolstad got hurt, but let's face it, he was a bully that night, not a victim. A 230lb linebacker, easily agitated (if you believe his friend?), who insulted a guy's girlfriend in order to escalate an argument. Once it ended without the fight he wanted, he attacked once the smaller man turned his back to walk away. Cowardly stuff.

This testimony comes directly...from Nelson and his girlfriend

No point in the rest of the post. You can read, but so can everybody else. You're just trolling anyway. Badly, but you're getting your posts and clicks so bully for you.

That was Nelson telling investigators: "Yea, I mean he was like, you know, I was with your girlfriend," Nelson told an investigator during an interview at the jail. "Like what, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do? Like, I mean that type of stuff." Nelson admitted to pushing Kolstad before walking away. He said he was punched in the back of the head seconds later..

Verhoeven testimony?"Veroeven was interviewed later in the day on May 11. She hadn't talked to Nelson since his arrest. She said Nelson pushed/hit Kolstad, who she had never met before, first but Kolstad started the fight.

2 drunk idiots in a bar looking for a fight. Unfortunately this time one of them suffered severe injuries and the other did massive damage to his football career and life in general. Both guys messed up, both guys acted like morons and BOTH guys deserve to be punished for their actions that night. That being said I don't fall in the camp that seems to think Nelson should rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life for a stupid, drunken, mistake.

No "good guys" here. Prosecutors seem to handle it well. Would only say that if Nelson and his girlfriend and telling the truth and Nelson pushed/hit Kolstad and according to Nelson, somebody hit him from behind "seconds later", hard to believe that all the "Kolstad should be charged too" folks are being truthful, wishfull or like Costa just trolling to extend the threads.

No point in the rest of the post. You can read, but so can everybody else. You're just trolling anyway. Badly, but you're getting your posts and clicks so bully for you.

That was Nelson telling investigators: "Yea, I mean he was like, you know, I was with your girlfriend," Nelson told an investigator during an interview at the jail. "Like what, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna do? Like, I mean that type of stuff." Nelson admitted to pushing Kolstad before walking away. He said he was punched in the back of the head seconds later..

Verhoeven testimony?"Veroeven was interviewed later in the day on May 11. She hadn't talked to Nelson since his arrest. She said Nelson pushed/hit Kolstad, who she had never met before, first but Kolstad started the fight.

The part about how Kolstad/Thompson/Kaus approached Nelson outside the bar to wish him the best of luck at Rutgers and how innocent Mr Kolstad told Nelson he would never hit on a woman because he's married, as well as a mention of the push, come from Kolstad's buddy Kaus. I'm not debating that Nelson shoved Kolstad. That seems clear. He didn't punch him though and he had his back to the situation and was walking away when Kolstad got the guts up to attack him.

You can keep highlighting and underlining all you want, because you're arguing with yourself. No one is debating that Nelson shoved Kolstad after Kolstad started insulting the girl. Still, there was no fight at this point. They had been separated by Kolstad's friends and Nelson was walking away. That's when your boy gathered the courage to attack him from behind. Everytime you lose an argument you accuse the winner of trolling. Nice trick.

No "good guys" here. Prosecutors seem to handle it well. Would only say that if Nelson and his girlfriend and telling the truth and Nelson pushed/hit Kolstad and according to Nelson, somebody hit him from behind "seconds later", hard to believe that all the "Kolstad should be charged too" folks are being truthful, wishfull or like Costa just trolling to extend the threads.

Why do you continue to say Nelson "hit" Kolstad? Kolstad's friends don't think Nelson hit him. Nelson doesn't admit to hitting him. No bystanders have testified to Nelson hitting him. The only string you're hanging from is the girl saying Nelson pushed or hit Kolstad, which clearly indicates she's unsure what happened. Since she's not sure and no one else is saying this happened, including the guys who were with Kolstad, don't you think it's disingenuous to continue accusing him of having hit Kolstad when there's no reason to believe that's true? Isn't twisting the facts to make Kolstad a victim, how this whole thing got out of control in the first place?

You can keep highlighting and underlining all you want, because you're arguing with yourself. No one is debating that Nelson shoved Kolstad..

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Iceland12
Thanks, forgot that part. If I remember Nelson went after Kolstad inside the bar first because of that wrong impression. Don't remember if it was just verbally or if Nelson confronted him physically or not.

"Costa Rican Gopher: 100% not physical. Also doesn't sound like Kolstad did anything to defuse that situation. I'm not going to look it up, but Kolstad's friend told the police something to the effect of Kolstad "Easily became offended", then got into it with Nelson both inside & then outside, before Nelson decided to de-escalate it & walk away. Two big bucks locking horns."

Me: "Tragic mix of booze, anger, jealousy and mistaken identity. You can look at all kinds of places where it could have been stopped. Nelson and his girfriend shouldn't have been drinking underage. Nelson didn't have to strike out at Kolstad or mistake him in the first place. Kolstad should have just let it go. He didn't have to slander Veroeven nor break away from his friends who were trying to stop the escalation. He didn't have to take that cheap shot from behind that sent Nelson down.
Shelley didn't have to take his cheap shot that knocked Kolstad down. The people "holding Nelson up" could have held him in check. Nelson didn't need to kick a man already laying out in the street.

Just don't know how people can take sides in this. There are no heroes here. Only a lot of victims of themselves".

Is this the part again where you say that you're not trolling?

newreply.php

I'm sorry Kolstad got hurt, but let's face it, he was a bully that night, not a victim. A 230lb linebacker, easily agitated (if you believe his friend?), who insulted a guy's girlfriend in order to escalate an argument. Once it ended without the fight he wanted, he attacked once the smaller man turned his back to walk away. Cowardly stuff.

Your take on what happened couldn't be more wrong, Costa. And your belief that Kolstad was a coward for hitting Nelson from behind with his fist after Nelson shoved him, and your implication that Nelson was somehow justified in kicking Kolstad in the head when he was lying on the ground and not moving is unreasonable and illogical. You need to stop this before you lose all credibility in GopherHole for rational thinking.

Your take on what happened couldn't be more wrong, Costa. And your belief that Kolstad was a coward for hitting Nelson from behind with his fist after Nelson shoved him, and your implication that Nelson was somehow justified in kicking Kolstad in the head when he was lying on the ground and not moving is unreasonable and illogical. You need to stop this before you lose all credibility in GopherHole for rational thinking.

CRG has a horse in this race. Not sure exactly the angle but his takes on this subject have been slanted/tainted/trolling/terrible/ridiculous from the start. Too bad, he is otherwise (other topics) one of my favorite posters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kolstads attorney quoted today about obtaining another medical opinion for a civil suit against Nelson. Kolstad needs to be charged with at least the same crime as Nelson was. Makes absolutely no sense to give him a pass.

Kolstads attorney quoted today about obtaining another medical opinion for a civil suit against Nelson. Kolstad needs to be charged with at least the same crime as Nelson was. Makes absolutely no sense to give him a pass.
If you and I are both driving drunk and you slam into me, badly injuring me, does that absolve me from any punishment? In this scenario, I'm also more intoxicated than you are. I could have just as easily killed you with my stupid behavior. That fact that I'm now in a terrible state would be as much my fault as yours, in my opinion.

If you and I are both driving drunk and you slam into me, badly injuring me, does that absolve me from any punishment? In this scenario, I'm also more intoxicated than you are. I could have just as easily killed you with my stupid behavior. That fact that I'm now in a terrible state would be as much my fault as yours, in my opinion.
I suppose Kolstad "could have" also pulled out a gun and shot multiple people. Maybe we should charge him with with murder too...

Top Bottom