STrib: Philip Nelson to plead guilty in Mankato assault

Given that Nelson isn't assured the starting spot, I'm going with Leidner. I don't care what waitwhat says.

The other starting option for ECU at QB transferred out a few weeks back. While it isn't 100% assured Philip will be the starter, it is probably a fore gone conclusion he will be barring injury or something like that.

But, I still think it will be Leidner who gets drafted.

Also Nelson would be leaving school early. He still has two years left.

Actually according to the ECU 24/7 article, this is his last year of eligibility.

I recall him outright saying he wanted to go to a team more committed to passing.

Strange thing to say when his stats weren't that great. I guess if we just committed to not doing well there more often ... more?

Yes his stats weren't great, but I don't think he is 100% to blame for that. His first year he was thrown to the wolves with very few reliable pass catchers. AJ Barker got injured and then short circuited. The next year things were going ok until Derrick Engel got hurt. Had maybe Engel stayed healthy the rest of 2013 maybe Nelson doesn't fizzle down the stretch. I think some combination of injuries and facing some very good defenses exposed Nelson's shortcomings as a QB. Maybe in a more wide open spread attack he can find a rhythm. I wish him all the best. He obviously isn't a popular figure here due to how he left and his legal troubles, but he paid his debt and deserves another chance.

Is that why Nelson PN9 (yeah i did that) quit the gophers? I didn't recall him giving a reason and assumed he butted heads with JK1 and JK1 told him to suck it up or beat it. JK1 will stand for 0 back sass.

I like it.

It is well documented that PN9 went to Kill (JK1) and basically said "make me the starter or I am out of here". Kill told him he would have to continue to compete with ML7 and so PN9 and his Daddy took their ball and went home. Mitch haters like to spout on here that Mitch was handed the starting job and that is why Phil left, but those are not the facts. PN9 believed he was better than he was and so he left. I preferred him over ML7 until that moment - no room for someone like that on your team. His entitlement/spoiled attitude continued on that summer, as we all know.

PN9's performance against Syracuse was not good. I will never forget his last series as a gopher against Syracuse. Something must have rattled him because he missed bad like three straight passes under like zero pressure. The one he badly overthrew to D Jones when he was wide open on, I think, a hook or hitch is burned into my memory. Sailed like mile over his head. After that I don't understand the ultimatum to Kill. The Nelson brain trust couldn't have expected him to say yes.

PN9's performance against Syracuse was not good. I will never forget his last series as a gopher against Syracuse. Something must have rattled him because he missed bad like three straight passes under like zero pressure. The one he badly overthrew to D Jones when he was wide open on, I think, a hook or hitch is burned into my memory. Sailed like mile over his head. After that I don't understand the ultimatum to Kill. The Nelson brain trust couldn't have expected him to say yes.

Nelson certainly had things get into his head at times. He was capable but would just inexplicably miss at times. Not pressure, not injury, just a misses.

I like it.

It is well documented that PN9 went to Kill (JK1) and basically said "make me the starter or I am out of here". Kill told him he would have to continue to compete with ML7 and so PN9 and his Daddy took their ball and went home. Mitch haters like to spout on here that Mitch was handed the starting job and that is why Phil left, but those are not the facts. PN9 believed he was better than he was and so he left. I preferred him over ML7 until that moment - no room for someone like that on your team. His entitlement/spoiled attitude continued on that summer, as we all know.

I don't know what you mean when you say "documented". Documentation does not come from GopherHole. Please share with all your "documented" statement. You won't find it. And BTW, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't know what you mean when you say "documented". Documentation does not come from GopherHole. Please share with all your "documented" statement. You won't find it. And BTW, you have no idea what you are talking about.

OK - I'll go with well "known". Happy?

You can say I have no idea what I'm talking about but you are guessing. Often I don't. This time I do.

LOL. I just looked through your post history. Those you started and commented on. You really might be PN9's Dad. At least we know your bias. I am still right about what went down tho.

Seriously, I hope he has been humbled by what he has gone through and uses it to better himself. I also hope he has success at ECU.

I like it.

Totally agree with the bold Spoofy. I was in the same boat as you.

It's pretty much the story. It's what everyone has said happened on pretty much every Gopher blog and by pretty much every Gopher insider. Is it true? I have no way of knowing. I wasn't in that meeting. We both know things like these can take a life of their own. It didn't make much sense with his decision to transfer to Rutgers. If he stayed there, it would have been inevitable that he would have had to battle for a starting job. I am sure the narrative is missing some parts of the stor, but that's generally it.

I also strongly preferred Phil Nelson to Mitch at the time. If that story was true, I say good riddance. I really do wish Phil nothing but the best. I don't hold the Mankato thing against him. I look atit like three drunken 20 somethings being stupid. I kind of feel bad for all three of them. There is little evidence that their actions on that night are an example of any of their characters. Kolstad paid the biggest price, but that's a lot of guilt for those other two young men to carry. Being an alpha male drunken idiot outside of a bar is dangerous, this story just kind of proved it.

from the article about the ECU QB situation:
Nelson will enter the fall as a senior in likely his final go-round as a college football player. Blessed with a solid arm, good feet and great leadership abilities, Nelson will guide the Pirates into another season, and the first in a new era under Montgomery.

At the risk of sounding like a troll, wasn't that a big part of the Leidner-Nelson debate? I remember people claiming that the coaches and at least some players felt Leidner was a better leader.

from the article about the ECU QB situation:
Nelson will enter the fall as a senior in likely his final go-round as a college football player. Blessed with a solid arm, good feet and great leadership abilities, Nelson will guide the Pirates into another season, and the first in a new era under Montgomery.

At the risk of sounding like a troll, wasn't that a big part of the Leidner-Nelson debate? I remember people claiming that the coaches and at least some players felt Leidner was a better leader.

The leadership tout was coachspeak cuz Mitch's QB skills have never been great. so when a reporter says what do you like about him as qb the coach says......'he's a leader...'

Nelson has been awarded the starting spot, that has been published by ECU. There is no comparison between Nelson and Leidner. Leidner was a projected TE for MN. That's how he plays QB, just like a TE would. Nelson is a true QB. Now that he has a competent coach, QB coach, and OC, I think he will surprise all. Bets on!!

You mean the moron that couldn't beat out a TE at QB here and thought it was a good idea to curb stomp someone?

LOL. I just looked through your post history. Those you started and commented on. You really might be PN9's Dad. At least we know your bias. I am still right about what went down tho.

Seriously, I hope he has been humbled by what he has gone through and uses it to better himself. I also hope he has success at ECU.

Phil's dad, Pat, wore #34 at Wisconsin. Maybe further evidence this really is Phil's dad. You might say father=PN34 and son=PN09.

ATTITUDE - That is what derailed P.Nelson at MN.

ATTITUDE - That is what derailed P.Nelson at MN.

Nelson was also crummy passer. That was the main reason Kill sat him on the bench early in the bowl game. Leidner has a stronger arm and moved the team better than Nelson. Nelson was never going to win the starting QB job if he had stayed with the Gophers.

Top Bottom