STrib: Philip Nelson to plead guilty in Mankato assault

Question that probably no one can answer honestly: if Phil Nelson was NOT a former Gopher QB, and people on this board did NOT have positive feelings about Nelson from his playing career, would we view this incident differently. If I show you video of some guy you don't know, and have no prior opinion about - and the video shows this guy running over and kicking a man in the head, while the other man is laying on the ground and unable to defend himself, would you defend him or propose mitigating circumstances the way people here are doing for Nelson?

Again, I don't expect anyone to change their opinion on this case - but just wanted to point out that some people's opinions may be colored by their previous good feelings about Nelson - whether they admit it or not - or whether they're even aware they may have a conscious or unconscious bias in favor of Nelson.

Hey, I rooted for Nelson when he was the Gopher QB, and I still think what he did is inexcusable.

Nail hit on head. These GopherHole yahoos will NEVER criticize one of their own. My guess is that most of them are still Leidner critics because he had the audacity to beat Nelson out of his job.

Question that probably no one can answer honestly: if Phil Nelson was NOT a former Gopher QB, and people on this board did NOT have positive feelings about Nelson from his playing career, would we view this incident differently. If I show you video of some guy you don't know, and have no prior opinion about - and the video shows this guy running over and kicking a man in the head, while the other man is laying on the ground and unable to defend himself, would you defend him or propose mitigating circumstances the way people here are doing for Nelson?

Again, I don't expect anyone to change their opinion on this case - but just wanted to point out that some people's opinions may be colored by their previous good feelings about Nelson - whether they admit it or not - or whether they're even aware they may have a conscious or unconscious bias in favor of Nelson.

Hey, I rooted for Nelson when he was the Gopher QB, and I still think what he did is inexcusable.

Honestly, I didn't care for Nelson at the time, and I'm not a fan of his now. He'd just left the program in a huff and I was glad that he was no longer affiliated with the U when this happened. My problem with this case is that it was initially reported that Nelson kicked an innocent bystander in the head. Well, there's just a little more to it than that. Despite the constant pictures of Nelson in his mugshot and Kolstad shown with this then pregnant wife and child, both were very willing participants in this dirty, scummy, inexcusable physical altercation. Nelson's not the good guy. Neither is Shelley and neither is Kolstad.

We don't actually know if it was a punch or a shove. We do know that Nelson is healthy enough to play college football if he can find a school who will take him (and he is good enough). Very few people have ever hit another person with their fist and caused serious injury. The most likely way to seriously injure someone (other than shooting or stabbing them) is to kick them in the head when they are lying on the ground and not moving. The only thing we know for sure about what happened is that Kolstad will live with the injuries inflicted by Nelson's kick for the rest of his life. Nelson understands what he did. It is high time his unquestioning supporters in GopherHole begin to understand it too.

Every media outlet that I've seen reported it as a punch. What's your definition of "very few people"? 90 people have died in Australia since 2000 as the result of a single punch. A Google search for "Single Punch Manslaughter" yields more than 75,000 results, with cases as recent as two weeks ago. But I'm sure you have hard and fast data that the "most likely way to injure someone is to kick them in the head".

I seriously think it depends what video you show. The video that shows Nelson kicking him in the head or the second video that shows Nelson walking away, Kolstad running up and hitting him in the back of the head with enough force to knock a strong, division 1 caliber football player to the ground, and seeing said guy get up and run directly over to Kolstad.

My first reaction to Nelson was to throw the book at him. I changed my tune after seeing the second video. Nelson may or may not of escalated things inside the bar, or even outside the bar, but on video he was walking away. In my opinion Kolstad took a verbal assault or argument to the physical level. Bottom line, if Kolstad doesn't throw punch none of the three young men are in the situation they are currently in.

We don't actually know if it was a punch or a shove.

Kolstad did not push Nelson. He threw a punch, and anyone who watches the video can see that. Nelson was hit from behind in the head and fell to the ground.

The only thing we know for sure about what happened is that Kolstad will live with the injuries inflicted by Nelson's kick for the rest of life.

Lol, we don't this. What are you talking about? What injuries did Nelson's kick cause exactly?

These GopherHole yahoos will NEVER criticize one of their own.

Who is endorsing Nelson's actions? Nobody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kolstad did not push Nelson. He threw a punch, and anyone who watches the video can see that. Nelson was hit from behind in the head and fell to the ground.
I can clearly see a shove. You can see Kolstad's left arm extended as Nelson and friend tumble to the ground. Combine that with what we know about the location of the punch and the little damage it did to Nelson and zero damage to the friend it's pretty obvious that the shove was the main force behind the tumble to the ground. Kolstad then starts to walk away. He didn't attempt to finish Nelson once he had him on the ground.

I can clearly see a shove. You can see Kolstad's left arm extended as Nelson and friend tumble to the ground. Combine that with what we know about the location of the punch and the little damage it did to Nelson and zero damage to the friend it's pretty obvious that the shove was the main force behind the tumble to the ground. Kolstad then starts to walk away. He didn't attempt to finish Nelson once he had him on the ground.

Kolstad winds up with his right arm and hits Nelson. Nelson begins moving towards the ground, and Kolstad then bumps or pushes the other guy down. It was reported that Nelson suffered a concussion, which is a fairly significant injury.

Kolstad winds up with his right arm and hits Nelson. Nelson begins moving towards the ground, and Kolstad then bumps or pushes the other guy down. It was reported that Nelson suffered a concussion, which is a fairly significant injury.

Wouldn't he at least be dazed on the ground for a second with a concussion?

I see just the opposite actually. The Leidner vs Nelson debate went beyond a normal debate for some and created a genuine animosity towards Nelson from many fans. When he left the program it was happy days for those fans, because they'd gotten rid of the guy they loved to hate. It also furthered their cause because now he was a quitter, a bad teammate, a bad leader and generally a bad apple. They made it very personal. Back when this thread began (or was it the original one?) there were several posts mentioning Kill probably knew something like this was going to happen, that clearly Nelson had character issues & this was just further proof. etc. Again, it felt personal. Further evidence is how the anti-Nelson crowd raced to judgement when this story broke. It was and has been quite clear that They WANTED Nelson to be guilty.

They're the extremists. The ones who say Nelson started it, it's his fault, Kohlstad was ok to retaliate, that it was just a shove, etc. On the other hand, you don't see anyone claiming it was ok for Nelson to kick Kohlstad. Or that it was just a tap.

On a scale of 1-10, I see Nelson and Kohlstad as a 5-5 on the guilt scale relative to one another. Maybe Nelson 6-4? Those of us who think Nelson shouldn't be in Stillwater aren't Nelson "supporters". We're not apologists or excusing his actions. The general sentiment is that it takes two-to-tango and Kohlstad was happy to tango that night.

If the older, bigger, high school rival Kohlstad doesn't approach the agitated Nelson to "wish him good luck at Rutgers" (wink-wink), doesn't immediately get into it with Nelson, doesn't start insulting Nelson's girlfriend, doesn't stop Nelson from leaving before things got out of control, if he doesn't sucker punch Nelson...he'd have slept in his own bed that night. People need to admit that Kohlstad had a hand in the escalation of events.

It doesn't mean he deserved to get hurt, it doesn't mean Nelson didn't need to be held accountable for his actions, it just means I'm not going to nod my head when people here pretend Kohlstad/Nelson was a 0-10 guilt assignment that night.

Not sure how saying they both share blame leads you to suggest it's because of some sort of football allegiance to Nelson? Were the judge, the prosecution, the prosecutions expert witnesses all swayed by their football allegiances too? Seems to me the people who're saying these two share blame are perfectly in-line with the law and the anti-Nelson guys are barking at the moon because logic overruled emotion.

I seriously think it depends what video you show. The video that shows Nelson kicking him in the head or the second video that shows Nelson walking away, Kolstad running up and hitting him in the back of the head with enough force to knock a strong, division 1 caliber football player to the ground, and seeing said guy get up and run directly over to Kolstad.

My first reaction to Nelson was to throw the book at him. I changed my tune after seeing the second video. Nelson may or may not of escalated things inside the bar, or even outside the bar, but on video he was walking away. In my opinion Kolstad took a verbal assault or argument to the physical level. Bottom line, if Kolstad doesn't throw punch none of the three young men are in the situation they are currently in.

- Most people feel the exact same way you do. They were outraged by what they heard. Then they saw something very different on the video. A few people though have been emotionally invested in demonizing Nelson for a while now and will never stop.

- Exactly, all the rest is noise. If Kohlstad doesn't throw the sucker-punch, he sleeps in his own bed that night.

Every media outlet that I've seen reported it as a punch. What's your definition of "very few people"? 90 people have died in Australia since 2000 as the result of a single punch. A Google search for "Single Punch Manslaughter" yields more than 75,000 results, with cases as recent as two weeks ago. But I'm sure you have hard and fast data that the "most likely way to injure someone is to kick them in the head".

Exactly. A few posters here are so emotionally invested in Nelson looking bad that instead of wising up after the evidence started to come out, or the video came out, or the sentence was handed down, they're still spinning their wheels desperately looking for rationalization and now have decided Kohlstad DIDN'T punch Nelson from behind, lol. There's a word for it = Preposterous.

Exactly. A few posters here are so emotionally invested in Nelson looking bad that instead of wising up after the evidence started to come out, or the video came out, or the sentence was handed down, they're still spinning their wheels desperately looking for rationalization and now have decided Kohlstad DIDN'T punch Nelson from behind, lol. There's a word for it = Preposterous.
You're more emotionally invested in accusing Kolstad than anyone I've seen here is invested in sending Nelson to prison. Shelley is the one who's getting the time behind bars here.

When dealing with habitual DWI offenders in rehab settings, one of the most important and difficult steps is getting them to accept the direct causal link between their actions and the mess they have found themselves in. Frequently, when they begin their recovery, the answer to the question "why are you stuck in this situation?" is something to the effect of "because all my friends ever want to do is go out and drink" or "because my designated driver bailed on me" or "because the cop pulled me over for no reason" or "because I had a busted taillight". It takes a while to get them to the point where they are willing to answer that question with "because I chose to drink and then I chose to drive". All of the other statements might be factually true, and they all might be "but for" causes of their problems, but at the end of the day, they need to realize that they would not be in the situation they were in had they not made the bad choices they made themselves.

If Kolstad looks in the mirror and wonders why his life has been tragically altered with his physical injuries, his answer should be "because instead of going home to my pregnant wife, and perhaps telling her about the drunk idiot who got in an argument with me and shoved me in a bar, I instead opted to wait until the situation was defused and then charge at someone from behind to hit them with a blind side cheap shot."

If Nelson wants to know why he lost his football scholarship and now has a criminal conviction, the answer is "because I kicked a defenseless person lying on the ground in the head."

There are conflicting accounts and characterizations of what took place off camera, but in my opinion none of that really matters. At the end of the day, they both made a really bad decision (as captured on camera) which endangered another defenseless human being, and either one of them could have avoided the situation they have found themselves in today solely by making better decisions themselves.

When dealing with habitual DWI offenders in rehab settings, one of the most important and difficult steps is getting them to accept the direct causal link between their actions and the mess they have found themselves in. Frequently, when they begin their recovery, the answer to the question "why are you stuck in this situation?" is something to the effect of "because all my friends ever want to do is go out and drink" or "because my designated driver bailed on me" or "because the cop pulled me over for no reason" or "because I had a busted taillight". It takes a while to get them to the point where they are willing to answer that question with "because I chose to drink and then I chose to drive". All of the other statements might be factually true, and they all might be "but for" causes of their problems, but at the end of the day, they need to realize that they would not be in the situation they were in had they not made the bad choices they made themselves.

If Kolstad looks in the mirror and wonders why his life has been tragically altered with his physical injuries, his answer should be "because instead of going home to my pregnant wife, and perhaps telling her about the drunk idiot who got in an argument with me and shoved me in a bar, I instead opted to wait until the situation was defused and then charge at someone from behind to hit them with a blind side cheap shot."

If Nelson wants to know why he lost his football scholarship and now has a criminal conviction, the answer is "because I kicked a defenseless person lying on the ground in the head."

There are conflicting accounts and characterizations of what took place off camera, but in my opinion none of that really matters. At the end of the day, they both made a really bad decision (as captured on camera) which endangered another defenseless human being, and either one of them could have avoided the situation they have found themselves in today solely by making better decisions themselves.

Case closed! Mods shut 'er down, and let's move on.

Nail hit on head. These GopherHole yahoos will NEVER criticize one of their own. My guess is that most of them are still Leidner critics because he had the audacity to beat Nelson out of his job.

You really wont stop with the Nelson hating will you? You are a ****** bag

but why didn't he get the anger managment stuff. everyone gets that.

You're more emotionally invested in accusing Kolstad than anyone I've seen here is invested in sending Nelson to prison.

This is the most accurate post in this thread.

We don't actually know if it was a punch or a shove. We do know that Nelson is healthy enough to play college football if he can find a school who will take him (and he is good enough). Very few people have ever hit another person with their fist and caused serious injury. The most likely way to seriously injure someone (other than shooting or stabbing them) is to kick them in the head when they are lying on the ground and not moving. The only thing we know for sure about what happened is that Kolstad will live with the injuries inflicted by Nelson's kick for the rest of his life. Nelson understands what he did. It is high time his unquestioning supporters in GopherHole begin to understand it too.

An expert witness for the prosecution disagrees with you. That, more than any video, determined the legal outcome of this awful situation.

There are no heroes in this situation, but I am sure there also is no shortage of regrets.

Emotional today? Something got your sympathetic nervous system going on overdrive? Relax. Put your feet up. Drink some warm milk.

Nope, not directed at you, but rather the folks that seem to think PN was justified because he was shoved in the back (prior to walking across the street, finding Kolstad, and kicking him in the head) like it was some kind of self defense. I agree with what you wrote above about both being (although not equal) cowards and thugs and paying high prices (also not equal) for their actions.

It was an automatic response from a very primitive brain center that stimulated a response prior to the executive function catching up to the situation. it takes you longer to rationalize it than to execute the response. In a threat situation you hope to execute your primitive response faster than rational thought in order to survive. Just like moving away from a thrown dodge ball. If you think about it, you get hit. If you don't, you win the game. What you call thuggery does not meet the definition. There was no premeditation on PNs part. If he demonstrated premeditation, both the charge and the judgement would have been more serious. I was right months ago and the courts opinion has a striking resemblance to my own opinion. Funny how spot on does not matter in a peeing contest. Being spot on in the court does matter. I win.

It was an automatic response from a very primitive brain center that stimulated a response prior to the executive function catching up to the situation. it takes you longer to rationalize it than to execute the response. In a threat situation you hope to execute your primitive response faster than rational thought in order to survive. Just like moving away from a thrown dodge ball. If you think about it, you get hit. If you don't, you win the game. What you call thuggery does not meet the definition. There was no premeditation on PNs part. If he demonstrated premeditation, both the charge and the judgement would have been more serious. I was right months ago and the courts opinion has a striking resemblance to my own opinion. Funny how spot on does not matter in a peeing contest. Being spot on in the court does matter. I win.

Actually Dean, It is more likely that the Dr. who concluded PN's kick to the head wasn't what caused Kolstad's injuries that resulted in the less serious charge/judgement - not the fact that someone concluded it wasn't premeditated. If the Dr. would have concluded the opposite, then PN would not have got off so easy - regardless of any "premeditation". IMO.

Am I crazy or is a sentence two years after the crime happened an unusually long time?

I know the court system gets really backed up but that does feel like a really long time. According to the story Shelly pled guilty back in March. The story also indicates that the Kolstad's are going after Nelson, Shelly, and 2 Mankato bars in civil suits.

"The sentencing was followed by the announcement of a civil lawsuit filed against Shelley, Phillip Nelson, and the two downtown Mankato establishments that served the men drinks that fateful night. Those establishments are Blue Bricks and The South Street Saloon. Kolstad family attorney Ken White said Friday morning that all parties involved in the lawsuit have been served papers."

So probably another couple years in store as they go for every penny they can get, whether they deserve it or not.

Did Nelson end up playing anywhere last year?

Top Bottom