STrib: Philip Nelson to plead guilty in Mankato assault

I'd say FCS or D-II. No particular school in mind I can think of. Can't imagine it would be FBS, unless somewhere like New Mexico State or another very, very low level FBS school. But I think those chances are small. Who know though, it's certainly possible.

it's time for Pnels to come home and finish what he started at the U.

From the original thread of 49 pages....

Spoofin: "You do realize that you and stcgopher are the only two who think "he started it" actually matters here. Also, so you know, kicking an unconscious person in the head is not an "unfortunate manner." It is an unbalanced, psychotic, and criminal manner."

Spoofin: "So now that the details have emerged... is Philip the psychopath?"

I'm not even going through the next 35 pages to find more. You were hell bent on demonizing Phil Nelson from the get-go and you attacked several posters for simply suggesting they were both at fault. It's nice that you've come around now and see yourself as being reasonable, but go back an re-read that thread. You were as biased and unreasonable as could be, no where near suggesting they shared guilt. On the contrary, you were attacking anyone who did say those things. That's all fine, but don't lose your sh*t accusing me of having the agenda, when it was you who had already made up his mind the day the story broke.

Well, I didn't even know I knew how to spell psychopath. You do realize, that without also including the thread and quote details, that it is out of context. For example, isn't it relevant that the second quote you listed was in response to...
Bob_Loblaw: "it was a group situation starting with Phil and the other guy. Phil definitely was involved in the fight, but he wasn't the one who kicked the guy when he was down. It sounds like drunk young men being stupid and one psychopath took it too far."
Kind of matters wouldn't you say? It's not like I flat out called him a psychopath on multiple occasions. Context CRG.

Your first post was in response to someone calling it an "unfortunate" event. Maybe I should have chosen another word (although unbalanced and criminal were spot on) back in May of 2014, but my choice was closer to reality than "unfortunate". Context CRG.

Now, I still couldn't disagree with your Agenda any more. Yes, you have one. Quite obvious. I don't recall ever saying Kolstad had no fault, but I took and take great exception to the whole "who started it" matters take (as noted in my quote above). I have always felt that kicking an unconscious guy in the head makes you a bad bad person, that there is no justification to doing it, that it says a lot about who you are as a person, and frankly I think he should spend time in jail. Kolstad didn't do that - your buddy who you can't stop protecting and defending did that. I'm not sure what that says about you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoofin;1016248I have always felt that kicking an unconscious guy in the head makes you a bad bad person said:
You are absolutely right, Spoof. And what it says about Costa is that he lives in a world where the sky is a different color than most of the rest of us see. Logic and reason have no place in his world. He is a Phil Nelson bobo first, last, and always. Costa and his cohorts probably still can't get over the fact that Kill chose Leidner over their boy. There can be no other explanation for why they would go to the lengths they have to rationalize and excuse Nelson for kicking an unconscious human being in the head and almost killing him.

You are absolutely right, Spoof. And what it says about Costa is that he lives in a world where the sky is a different color than most of the rest of us see. Logic and reason have no place in his world. He is a Phil Nelson bobo first, last, and always. Costa and his cohorts probably still can't get over the fact that Kill chose Leidner over their boy. There can be no other explanation for why they would go to the lengths they have to rationalize and excuse Nelson for kicking an unconscious human being in the head and almost killing him.

"...almost killing him." 5th degree! Big difference, yes?

"...almost killing him." 5th degree! Big difference, yes?

Not to UpnorthGo4, he seems to be in his own discussion where Nelson tried to murder Kolstad and everyone in here is begging for him to come back and sees nothing wrong with what he did. Apparently the words on his screen look a lot different then they do for the rest of us.

Just for the record, I think I should be allowed to shoot anyone at anytime I want, without provocation or cosequence.

Just for the record, I think I should be allowed to shoot anyone at anytime I want, without provocation or cosequence.

No, that would be wrong. However, if you were punched from behind by someone first, then that person would be at fault as well if you searched them out and shot them. It would pretty much justify what you have done and if anyone disagrees they will be accused of carrying a pitchfork and having a mob mentality.

It appears as thought quite a few posters here and on other sites are upset with the perceived "lenient" treatment Nelson is receiving. The focus of those opinions appear to focus on "the kick." The outrage seems to be two-fold: That Nelson kicked a man while he lie unconscious on the ground, and that the kick was the direct cause of Kolstad's injuries.

According to the facts in the record, after Nelson and Kolstad exchanged barbs, Nelson pushed Kolstad, and "friends" separated them. The surveillance video (and not witness testimony or opinions with speculation or conjecture that have emotional aspects) shows Kolstad hitting Nelson in the back of the head hard enough to send Nelson, Nelson's girlfriend, and Kolstad's friend, Sam Thompson, to the ground. A neurologist that treated Nelson and diagnosed him as having a concussion, which is reasonably believed to be caused by the incident (either the strike or hitting his head on the ground). The video surveillance also shows the co-defendant, Trevor Shelly, hiting Kolstad, knocking him out, and causing his head to hit the ground. Two seconds later, the emotionless video evidence (not testimony) shows "the kick" by Nelson. Two seconds. Think about that. As to the outrage that Nelson should receive a more severe punishment because the kick was the direct cause of the injuries, it seems as though some people choose to flat-out ignore the expert testimony of defense counsel's medical doctor AND the State's pathologist that both agreed that Kolstad's injuries were mainly and perhaps entirely due to being punched in the head and the smack of his head on the pavement when he fell, and NOT Nelson's kick.

Apparently, there is no evidence that will change people's minds, especially if you didn't like Phillip Nelson before this incident, or you are dead set on looking at this as a racial injustice. Facts and common sense be damned.

It appears as thought quite a few posters here and on other sites are upset with the perceived "lenient" treatment Nelson is receiving. The focus of those opinions appear to focus on "the kick." The outrage seems to be two-fold: That Nelson kicked a man while he lie unconscious on the ground, and that the kick was the direct cause of Kolstad's injuries.

This is where I am misunderstood. You are half right. The focus of my opinion is on Nelson searching out Kolstad and kicking him, while lying on the ground unconscious) in the head. Period. I have no reason to doubt the experts that say Nelson's kick didn't cause the injuries. However, to me, that doesn't make what he did any less despicable. Legally sure, but not to me. Regardless of what other posters accuse me of, I do not think Kolstad is without blame, I just fail to see how the "he started it" take changes what PN did. I don't let my kids use that one either - apparently some posters do.

According to the facts in the record, after Nelson and Kolstad exchanged barbs, Nelson pushed Kolstad, and "friends" separated them. The surveillance video (and not witness testimony or opinions with speculation or conjecture that have emotional aspects) shows Kolstad hitting Nelson in the back of the head hard enough to send Nelson, Nelson's girlfriend, and Kolstad's friend, Sam Thompson, to the ground. A neurologist that treated Nelson and diagnosed him as having a concussion, which is reasonably believed to be caused by the incident (either the strike or hitting his head on the ground). The video surveillance also shows the co-defendant, Trevor Shelly, hiting Kolstad, knocking him out, and causing his head to hit the ground. Two seconds later, the emotionless video evidence (not testimony) shows "the kick" by Nelson. Two seconds. Think about that. As to the outrage that Nelson should receive a more severe punishment because the kick was the direct cause of the injuries, it seems as though some people choose to flat-out ignore the expert testimony of defense counsel's medical doctor AND the State's pathologist that both agreed that Kolstad's injuries were mainly and perhaps entirely due to being punched in the head and the smack of his head on the pavement when he fell, and NOT Nelson's kick.

Apparently, there is no evidence that will change people's minds, especially if you didn't like Phillip Nelson before this incident, or you are dead set on looking at this as a racial injustice. Facts and common sense be damned.

+1 on everything. Everything in bold is also spot on. Those are the facts we have to work with. Hence, why PN got a reduced plea, much to the chagrin of many here.

If the legal concept of Comparative Blame existed it is not possible to make a logical and reasonable case that Kolstad deserves as much blame as Nelson for tragedy that happened that night. Nelson initiated the physical confrontation and his kicking of Kolstad in the head while he was on the ground is something the large majority of people would never consider doing. Ever.

Given the same circumstances as Nelson, I believe most rational human beings would have gotten their asses out of there before the cops arrived on the scene. Particularly, if they had a reputation and a football scholarship they needed to protect. Nelson's girlfriend tried to stop him but what he did to Kolstad was nothing like what you would expect from the team leader of a Division I football program.

+1 on everything. Everything in bold is also spot on. Those are the facts we have to work with. Hence, why PN got a reduced plea, much to the chagrin of many here.

There no rational and reasonable way anyone can conclude the fist to Kolstad's head did more damage to Kolstad than Nelson's kick. Just ask the other guy's attorney.

I couldn't care less if Nelson doesn't spend a day in prison. He has already received the punishment he deserves. Unfortunately for Nelson, he will be paying for what he did to Kolstad for the rest of his life.

There no rational and reasonable way anyone can conclude the fist to Kolstad's head did more damage to Kolstad than Nelson's kick. Just ask the other guy's attorney.

I couldn't care less if Nelson doesn't spend a day in prison. He has already received the punishment he deserves. Unfortunately for Nelson, he will be paying for what he did to Kolstad for the rest of his life.

I guess I haven't seen anyone argue that. I've seen people say that it didn't do the damage that was initially reported. Which, by the way, was confirmed by a Forensic Pathologist hired by the PROSECUTION. But, what does he know? Doubt he has any education or knowledge to speak on the subject. Link is below if you're interested.

And, actually it seems you care quite a bit judging by the number of comments you have made on the subject the past few days.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/prosecution_expert_says_kick_by_ex-rutgers_quarterback_philip_nelson_a_minor_factor_in_victims_injur.html

I have a follow up question: If the expert witness for the prosecution had determined that Nelson's kick was the primary source of injury, would his actions having immediately followed a blow to the head severe enough to cause a concussion been a line of defense?

By the way, I have occasionaly, while wearing a hat, walked straight into the open rear hatch of a car. I am apparently a slow learner. Each time, my immediate reaction was to want to destroy the hatch. Totally irrational, and it passes quickly, but I don't think we evolved to respond passively to a blow to the head.

I really hope that I, and everyone I care about, will always avoid a situation like what happened that night, and I have never come close to anything like it. But can I be absolutely certain that under circumstances like that evening I would not do something I would regret for the rest of my life? Can anyone?

I am glad the justice system worked deliberately and came to a reasonable conclusion for this awful situation.

This is where I am misunderstood. You are half right. The focus of my opinion is on Nelson searching out Kolstad and kicking him, while lying on the ground unconscious) in the head. Period. I have no reason to doubt the experts that say Nelson's kick didn't cause the injuries. However, to me, that doesn't make what he did any less despicable. Legally sure, but not to me. Regardless of what other posters accuse me of, I do not think Kolstad is without blame, I just fail to see how the "he started it" take changes what PN did. I don't let my kids use that one either - apparently some posters do.

Really, this guy, makes all the sense on this thread. There is a reason for the saying "don't kick them while they are down"--and it isn't all about not getting a soy latte when you wanted milk. It's because it's a bitch move.

Rage and seeking cannot co-occur in mammals. They have mutually inhibitory interactions. It may be said that to engage in violence, one must already cross a threshold by which pain causes substantial arousal and interest in violence. Without that high stress additive, the threshold to induce a violent motion doesn't exist. The result of which is both sexual arousal and pleasurable. And just like climax, combat releases that pressure to sustain violence.

Body communication is more understood by the mind beyond verbal communication in understanding intention and reading a potential opponent and it predisposes human beings to cruelty as a survival mechanism. Ever get angry just looking at someone for a brief moment and know you have that urge to just beat the snot out of them? It happens to everyone because it is a very human trait. Yet, we are all compassionate beings as well. Nelson struck Kolstad and was immediately self repulsed by his own behavior. He then withdrew.

And, in a twist of fait, we on GH, seeking a release for our cruel traits, seek to punish Nelson virtually. Where is the compassion in that? Justice? Justice inflicts emotional pain and that makes us feel good. Great hunting trait. Advocating punishment is virtually the identical neuropathy as assault and whether or not you are predisposed for the hunt falls upon your level of violence inhibition or restraint. The same brain centers are in use. The same pharmacologic messengers are used. The same reward system invokes itself when we feel vindicated. What good comes out of that?

I don't think Nelson deserves punishment. I don't think Kolstad deserved getting his head smashed. I don't think anyone benefits from virtually hunting him down and convicting him on a message board. It is cruelty by other means. It is community bullying. There is no restitution or restoration in it.

As for it being a "bitch move". The psychology of violence indicates it is a predominantly human trait to inflict cruelty upon our own kind. Everybody is predisposed to emotional cruelty even on message boards that are meant for entertainment.

There's got to still be a team out there willing to take a shot on the guy.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

i just want to thank everyone

not even the anger management/substance abuse programs.....aww jeez. cripes.

This is just a travesty. Nelson may have permanently ruined another person's life and gets the equivalent of a "slap on the wrist". Unreal.

This is just a travesty. Nelson may have permanently ruined another person's life and gets the equivalent of a "slap on the wrist". Unreal.
Kolstad could have ruined Nelson's life by punching him in the back of the head. How much time is he going to do?

Kolstad could have ruined Nelson's life by punching him in the back of the head. How much time is he going to do?

kolstad didn't ruin nelson's life though. there's a long way from could have to did.

interesting that the two passed each other in the hall but didn't say anything to each other.

i wonder when the civil suit will be filed and for how much. i can't imagine the medical bills he's already incurred, let alone the lifetime of therapy he'll need. not sure if there's a balloon payment big enough to cover that.

he didn't ruin his life though. there's a long way from could have to did.
Maybe. Although one could argue that Kolstad's decision to punch Nelson in the back of the head set off a chain of events that greatly affected Nelson's life.

If the state medical examiner had not ruled that Nelson's kick likely was not the cause of the brain damage, things would be different. I doubt Shelley gets off this easy.

In the courts its not always up to what is and isn't fair. Its really sad that this whole thing is even happening. In a court of law regarding Kolstatd and Nelson, the same thing happened. If Nelson didn't cause the damage they both assaulted each other in a similar way. Im not defending Nelson and I think that 100 hours of community service is a joke. However for Kolstad to completely play like he did nothing and said nothing is kind of sad also. There really isn't a definitive right or wrong punishment or way to go about this whole scenario. I guess the only thing that upsets me about the whole thing is that it has a very negative impact on two peoples lives, and also that people in this world want to make everyone a criminal. Nelson was completely out of line but Shelley did the damage and not him, so why do they still press the issue after the verdict? A court of law made a decision and no matter what they do now it isn't going to fix the situation, it will change nothing. Kolstads brother can speak out against Nelson but is that going to make the situation better? No its not.

Maybe. Although one could argue that Kolstad's decision to punch Nelson in the back of the head set off a chain of events that greatly affected Nelson's life.

If the state medical examiner had not ruled that Nelson's kick likely was not the cause of the brain damage, things would be different. I doubt Shelley gets off this easy.

re-read the chain of events. nelson initiated the first contact, then kolstad retaliated, then shelley did the damage, the nelson finished him off. it started with #9

Top Bottom