No. 13 Gophers Tie, Then Lose Shootout, Against Wisconsin

Reaction score
The No. 13 Gophers looked to be cruising to a victory over the Badgers but two goals in the last nine minutes sent the game to overtime. Wisconsin would eventually go on to win in a shootout, although the game will be counted as a 2-2 tie for NCAA purposes.

Big Mistakes
Where to start with this one? The Gophers dominated Wisconsin for 52 minutes, had two defensive breakdowns and ended up in overtime. It wasn’t for a lack of chances. Minnesota put up 20 shots in the first period, 49 for the game. It was, without a doubt, one of the most frustrating games I can remember. Two lapses on D late in the game and Wisconsin capitalized.

“If you’re generating chances, over time, they’re going to go in,” said Lucia. “My disappointment was just the errors. Not sustaining the mental part of it.”

Senior Travis Boyd was much more direct after the game.

“Quite frankly, it’s kind of embarrassing,” said Boyd. “It’s back-to-back Friday nights when we’ve had the lead in the third period and can’t close it out.”

Ugh, Shootouts
The Gophers lost in a shootout. Remind me again why we have shootouts. Better yet, why can't the Gophers win them? The shootout usually follows a similar script for Minnesota’s forwards. Rau attempts to go backhand five-hole and doesn’t sneak it through. Ambroz will give fans some hope with a weird-looking, yet effective, goal. A smaller, skilled player that you’d expect to dominate shootouts steps up and does something very unskilled. And like that, you’re leaving the ice while the other team celebrates like they clinched a NCAA Tournament berth.

“Shootout haven’t been our thing, that’s for sure,” said Lucia.

Well said, Coach. Well said.

Bristedt Stands Out
Although it wasn’t talked about after the game, easily one of the most encouraging things for Minnesota was the play of freshman, Leon Bristedt. The Sweden native was only playing on the fourth line but made a number of huge plays and almost tallied a couple goals. He was forechecking, winning battles, and creating chances with his skill. Unfortunately,he was the skilled player that did something unskilled in the shootout. Aside from that, he played a great game and made a big impact in limited minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get moved up to a top-nine role tomorrow.

By the Numbers
18 Shots for Minnesota before Wisconsin put their first on Adam Wilcox.

0 Powerplay goals in five attempts for Minnesota although they did tally one on a delayed penalty.

½ Approximately half the crowd headed for the exits before the shootout even started. Yay, B1G.

Three Stars of the Game
#3 Jedd Soleway scored the game-tying goal in the third.
#2 Mike Reilly put ten shots on net and was a +1.
#1 Joel Rumpel made 47 saves and stopped two in the shootout.

What’s Next
The Gophers are back tomorrow at 5:05 to complete the series on Hockey Day Minnesota.

What a shocking loss. To give up two quick goals like we did late in the game is sooo frustrating.

I never thought this season would spiral out of control like this after so many guys returned this year.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom