Facilities update

Can we just be happy the ball is rolling here? People acting as though we're now putting up giant tents or something. People have been complaining for how long about not having this stuff, and now that it's going to be built, we sit here and complain that the budget was "cut" to $150M. Again, they're not going to skimp on anything; they're delaying heavy renovation of existing buildings and a parking ramp.

It's like we've won by 35 points, but people are complaining because we missed a field goal and should have by 38.

Lets not focus on all the great stuff that's being built. Lets focus on the parking ramp. Some of you are insane.

I guarantee anything that's built as a part of this is going to be sweet.

First of all, who is complaining in this thread? We are very glad that football and basketball will not be affected by the cuts. Only parking and renovations to Bierman and the current indoor.

Second, getting this facility is not like "winning by 35." Getting this facility is not to boast about our commitment to these sports, it is just to remain competitive. Other schools will have already made major upgrades to their facilities by the time we finish this one. Northwestern has a 220 million facilities project in the works and Maryland released plans of a 155 million dollar renovation to their field house which is only for football. Oregon's football facility costed 78 million and their new academic center costed over 40 million. Thats not even including basketball or olympic facilities. So I think it would have been reasonable to be concerned about going from 190 to 150, further reducing our ability to stay on par with the other schools. Like I earlier I am glad the cuts won't mean anything for football or basketball.

Who is unhappy in this thread?

I don't think that was his point and I get what TCF=UnitedWeStand was trying to say. With certain posters on GH it is pretty easy to always get that tinge of cynicism/self-loathing/complaining in the tone of their posts.

The U has gradually backed down and changed course. Bierman.. goes from a tear down.. to a remodel.. to out of the first phase.

The good news is Minnesota is concentrating on football and basketball.

The bad news is they still need money.

Next step: Come off the "we need it to be 100% privately funded" and get things started.

I believe for the rest of the Olympic sports. There's info and pictures on the site about it

Olympic Sports Development Centers
The existing structure of the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex will be renovated to create a more versatile, updated development facility that will be shared by several University of Minnesota Olympic sports teams. This new facility will host fewer Gopher teams, providing greater flexibility in scheduling team activities, and feature updated amenities to modernize the space for 21st century collegiate athletics.
In addition, we will re-imagine spaces within both the Bierman Field Athletic Building and Gibson-Nagurski to provide new development spaces for Gopher Wrestling and Gopher Women's Gymnastics. These programs currently work in spaces that are badly outdated and in need of major updates. These new areas will provide adequate room, updated equipment and other features that competitive programs provide for their student-athletes and staff.

I'm glad we're fixing up an area for wrestling. Maybe we can get that program competitive also.

Just start building it already

It's done already? huh could have fooled me

Looks like substantial changes to me. Here is the original site plan. It should still be nothing short of great for 150 MM.

http://www.nothingshortofgreatness.com/index.php

Again, who in this thread, besides GW, is complaining?

Who is unhappy in this thread?

Answers for you....

Couple things:

Glad they are aiming high, or at least seemingly so. The peer comparisons include LSU, Neb, Oregon, Florida, Ark, Tex, Kansas, et al.

Anyone else notice that Kill isn't listed as a Participant? Pitino, Stollings, Anderson, Robinson and other head coaches are, but Kill isn't (Claeys and Klein are though).

Borrow whatever additional money is needed, start building now, put the loans into the general University budget and then go to the state/taxpayers to pay it off.

I am serious. The state of Minnesota should be chipping in big time on this, especially now that private donors have pledged a big chunk. The U shouldn't have to go door to door seeking handouts. We are the public institution of the state of Minnesota. The state pays for all kinds of entertainment and athletic stuff (pro stadiums, art museums, theaters, etc.) This should be no different.

There is definitely momentum building. Just received some Requests for Proposals for the design work.

There is definitely momentum building. Just received some Requests for Proposals for the design work.

Some design work has already been started. It's all coming soon. No worries.

Some design work has already been started. It's all coming soon. No worries.

Understood, but my services usually come a little later in the game when they're getting serious about moving dirt.

per the STrib:

The University of Minnesota has begun shopping for a construction company to build its new athletics facilities village, and the latest project budget is $150 million, down from $190 million.

The university released an RFP (request for proposal) for construction last week, and the 560-page document shows the reduced budget, along with a proposed schedule that calls for construction to begin this fall.

Senior Associate Athletics Director Chris Werle said Monday that $65 million has been raised toward the project.

“The [fundraising] campaign is still $190 million, and that won’t change,” Werle said, stressing that $150 million is an estimate. “We’re finding ways to do things more economically and hopefully quicker.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/289060191.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

per the STrib:

The University of Minnesota has begun shopping for a construction company to build its new athletics facilities village, and the latest project budget is $150 million, down from $190 million.

The university released an RFP (request for proposal) for construction last week, and the 560-page document shows the reduced budget, along with a proposed schedule that calls for construction to begin this fall.

Senior Associate Athletics Director Chris Werle said Monday that $65 million has been raised toward the project.

“The [fundraising] campaign is still $190 million, and that won’t change,” Werle said, stressing that $150 million is an estimate. “We’re finding ways to do things more economically and hopefully quicker.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/289060191.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I'm sticking with Sid that construction starts yesterday and three guys are paying for it all.

per the STrib:

Go Gophers!!

If you want to be really proud to be a Minnesotan and get some insight into why we never win anything, go read the comments section of this article....

This was the first concept I remember seeing, I think it still shows Bierman in this one too... (bottom left?)
View attachment 3302

I think they are now keeping the current indoor field house when they were taking it down originally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to be really proud to be a Minnesotan and get some insight into why we never win anything, go read the comments section of this article....

Those comments go a long way towards understanding why the U has some of the worst facilities in the nation. $150-$190 million is not insane money for the scope of facilities proposed. Plus, I believe, that having a successful fb and bb program elevates a university and attracts top students with all other things being equal. Great fb and bb programs positively add to the college experience because it brings students together and gives them something to get excited about relating to their university as opposed to have programs that are perennial cellar dwellers.

It can honestly be more frustrating than reading buckyville or bisonville.

I'm 5 numbers and a Powerball away from making everyone happy with The Spoofin Athlete Village.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read those comments, honestly....I sometimes question the reason why I live in this state.
I love Mn and Mn sports, but the level of mindset and communism that exists here is
absolutely mind boggling and over shadows all others across the nation with this same
thinking. You won't find this level of attitude like this, anywhere else in the country.

"just scrap all the athletic programs, they do nothing for education and that money would
but much wisely spent on giving free college to lower class kids."

So, money donated specifically for athletics, making us once again a major state and university on
a national scale, should be taken away from this project and given to kids who probably
would rather sell crack, than go to college. mmmmkay.

#rantover

Read those comments, honestly....I sometimes question the reason why I live in this state.
I love Mn and Mn sports, but the level of mindset and communism that exists here is
absolutely mind boggling and over shadows all others across the nation with this same
thinking. You won't find this level of attitude like this, anywhere else in the country.

"just scrap all the athletic programs, they do nothing for education and that money would
but much wisely spent on giving free college to lower class kids."

So, money donated specifically for athletics, making us once again a major state and university on
a national scale, should be taken away from this project and given to kids who probably
would rather sell crack, than go to college. mmmmkay.

#rantover

+1

The problem with large money projects like this is that they are a money toilet. Or a black hole. Take your pick.

Everything from the bid process to the hiring of the lowliest subcontractor is ripe for skulduggery. I have a well placed friend intimately involved in the military industrial complex in the area of awarding government contracts. He was involved in and oversaw day to day operations of large capital projects on bases out here in the west prior to that. The stories (and I have reason to believe they are legitimate) would make even the most red-faced anti-commie freedumb fighter want to cut the military budget by a quarter to third. Yesterday. The cost overruns on equipment platforms, bases that shouldn't exist are all old news as well.

So, returning to my original thought, there is no question the revenue makers at the U need adequate facilities to produce and attract a competitive product. I happen to believe facilities are far less important than some of you think, but they are necessary and lacking.

That said, I hope the process is open and transparent and the taxpayers that end up with the balance of the bill are getting a fair deal. 150MM should be plenty.

The problem with large money projects like this is that they are a money toilet. Or a black hole. Take your pick.

Everything from the bid process to the hiring of the lowliest subcontractor is ripe for skulduggery. I have a well placed friend intimately involved in the military industrial complex in the area of awarding government contracts. He was involved in and oversaw day to day operations of large capital projects on bases out here in the west prior to that. The stories (and I have reason to believe they are legitimate) would make even the most red-faced anti-commie freedumb fighter want to cut the military budget by a quarter to third. Yesterday. The cost overruns on equipment platforms, bases that shouldn't exist are all old news as well.

So, returning to my original thought, there is no question the revenue makers at the U need adequate facilities to produce and attract a competitive product. I happen to believe facilities are far less important than some of you think, but they are necessary and lacking.

That said, I hope the process is open and transparent and the taxpayers that end up with the balance of the bill are getting a fair deal. 150MM should be plenty.

I would imagine to save that 40 Million they must have cut out some ICBM's and maybe even some SAM's from the project.

Top Bottom