Facilities update

The only things that appear to be scaled back are the renovations of the existing facilities, and no underground parking, all of which can be addressed later on.

More importantly - ground breaking no later than Sept. 2015, everything completed no later than fall of 2017.

The only things that appear to be scaled back are the renovations of the existing facilities, and no underground parking, all of which can be addressed later on.

More importantly - ground breaking no later than Sept. 2015, everything completed no later than fall of 2017.

Yep, good to see that the football and basketball facilities will not be affected by the budget cuts.

So we can start selling to future 2016 recruits that they will have brand new facilities by the time they are a sophomore? That certainly can't hurt.

And the shovels will be in the ground by the time most of them take their officials I assume. Unless they take a visit in the summer, but you'd think most would want to take them during football season.

The excellence center looks like it is on TOP of the bball facility, is that a change in plans?

I broke ground, in abstentia, in my back yard. So the process has started.

GO GOPHERS!!!

So we can start selling to future 2016 recruits that they will have brand new facilities by the time they are a sophomore? That certainly can't hurt.

And the shovels will be in the ground by the time most of them take their officials I assume. Unless they take a visit in the summer, but you'd think most would want to take them during football season.

The next step will be a big interactive video series that they can load onto 60 screens in the Bierman lobby for recruits to watch and see the future.

Just to be curious, I wonder what Kill will want after the new practice facility. Repaint the team plane to be a Gopher with the eyes as the windows. The stripes across the top of the plane. Make it Goldy 1

What becomes of the old/current Nagurski indoor football facility? Since it is still in the renderings, I guess it converts to something.

It does look like they changed a lot but those changes in the renderings aren't necessarily cheaper, just different.

It's not uncommon for original master plans to get changed substantially as things get closer to reality. Happens all the time. I wouldn't read much into it.

What becomes of the old/current Nagurski indoor football facility? Since it is still in the renderings, I guess it converts to something.

Gopherhole meeting space?

I believe for the rest of the Olympic sports. There's info and pictures on the site about it

Olympic Sports Development Centers
The existing structure of the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex will be renovated to create a more versatile, updated development facility that will be shared by several University of Minnesota Olympic sports teams. This new facility will host fewer Gopher teams, providing greater flexibility in scheduling team activities, and feature updated amenities to modernize the space for 21st century collegiate athletics.
In addition, we will re-imagine spaces within both the Bierman Field Athletic Building and Gibson-Nagurski to provide new development spaces for Gopher Wrestling and Gopher Women's Gymnastics. These programs currently work in spaces that are badly outdated and in need of major updates. These new areas will provide adequate room, updated equipment and other features that competitive programs provide for their student-athletes and staff.

Admit it, you were digging for some of that N Dakota oil.

Actually it is ND oil. Generations before me of dumping used motor oil behind the garage. Nothing will grow there. And it's not from Bambi.

It's not uncommon for original master plans to get changed substantially as things get closer to reality. Happens all the time. I wouldn't read much into it.

Yeah, it's called bait and switch ;-)

Actually it is ND oil. Generations before me of dumping used motor oil behind the garage. Nothing will grow there. And it's not from Bambi.

The Sauer family lived in that area.

It's not unusual for designs to change and financial estimates to be adjusted once the architects start serious work on the project. Renderings are done just to have something visual to show to prospective donors, but they are not architectural drawings which are much more precise, and are used to develop the project budget. Also, during the process, as architects work with the stakeholders, it's not unusual for designs to be revised as the architects get feedback.

OR - the powers that be are cutting the budget because they don't think the fund-raising effort will reach its goal.

Either one could be the truth. Only the Shadow knows.

It's not unusual for designs to change and financial estimates to be adjusted once the architects start serious work on the project. Renderings are done just to have something visual to show to prospective donors, but they are not architectural drawings which are much more precise, and are used to develop the project budget. Also, during the process, as architects work with the stakeholders, it's not unusual for designs to be revised as the architects get feedback.

OR - the powers that be are cutting the budget because they don't think the fund-raising effort will reach its goal.

Either one could be the truth. Only the Shadow knows.

Also can be impacted by utilities, cables, underground stuff. Seems that the savings in the new plan is with not renovating Bierman at this time and combing the excellence center and BB practice into one building and no underground parking garage. Good news is all those project can be done in the near future without disrupting much.

Can we just be happy the ball is rolling here? People acting as though we're now putting up giant tents or something. People have been complaining for how long about not having this stuff, and now that it's going to be built, we sit here and complain that the budget was "cut" to $150M. Again, they're not going to skimp on anything; they're delaying heavy renovation of existing buildings and a parking ramp.

It's like we've won by 35 points, but people are complaining because we missed a field goal and should have by 38.

Lets not focus on all the great stuff that's being built. Lets focus on the parking ramp. Some of you are insane.

I guarantee anything that's built as a part of this is going to be sweet.

Can we just be happy the ball is rolling here? People acting as though we're now putting up giant tents or something. People have been complaining for how long about not having this stuff, and now that it's going to be built, we sit here and complain that the budget was "cut" to $150M. Again, they're not going to skimp on anything; they're delaying heavy renovation of existing buildings and a parking ramp.

It's like we've won by 35 points, but people are complaining because we missed a field goal and should have by 38.

Lets not focus on all the great stuff that's being built. Lets focus on the parking ramp. Some of you are insane.

I guarantee anything that's built as a part of this is going to be sweet.

BRAVO!

Top Bottom