ESPN: Paterno's vacated wins restored!

Excellent. The NCAA should've never been involved in this criminal investigation. The wins have been rightfully restored though, sadly, Paterno is not around to see it.

The NCAA can do whatever it wants. I will still maintain my position that sheltering and enabling a raper of children is unacceptable.

The NCAA can do whatever it wants. I will still maintain my position that sheltering and enabling a raper of children is unacceptable.
Agree. NCAA is just digging themselves a deeper grave by not sticking to its decisions.

It is, and the people involved were fired and/or thrown in prison. The players/fans who had nothing to do with this, should have not been punished.

I'm glad to see Paterno's wins restored, but further frustrates me with the NCAA. Why make decisions if a year or two you are going to flip. They do this with schools, coaches, etc.

My personal stance on Paterno is that he was aware of what happened, reported to who he thought he had to report to, and washed his hands of it. I tried to relate it to my own life, if I saw a crime, I would report it to the cops, but don't think I would follow up with the cops to see what they did with it. It does get a little sketchy when he obviously knew Sandusky real well and understood what was going.

"A great victory"? Wow.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The NCAA is a disaster, flip flopping on this makes no sense.

Folks are welcome to disagree with me, but I'm glad the wins are back. I've never been a fan
of vacating or whitewashing things through the NCAA. Justice against the wrongdoers-yes. Whitewashing
the efforts and accomplishments of those that had nothing to do with this (the players primarily), not so much.

Should Paterno have done more? Yes. Most CFB coaches, it could be said, had done enough by reporting it as he did.
However he failed to recognize that he had much greater power than most CFB coaches (or all, even) and could have gone
further with follow-up. Secondly, he held on a long time, and the older one gets the easier it is to slide into other things or
not be as diligent. I think the Paterno of 1973 would have been a bit more forceful than the one much later in life. His name
paid the price.

Is it time for "Joe Paterno Day" at Beaver Stadium? No. Not yet anyways. One day....a few years down the line perhaps, but
not before all of the victims have been made whole and have reached at least a point in their recovery that allows it.

Sandusky in prison- heck yes!

Folks are welcome to disagree with me, but I'm glad the wins are back. I've never been a fan
of vacating or whitewashing things through the NCAA. Justice against the wrongdoers-yes. Whitewashing
the efforts and accomplishments of those that had nothing to do with this (the players primarily), not so much.

Should Paterno have done more? Yes. Most CFB coaches, it could be said, had done enough by reporting it as he did.
However he failed to recognize that he had much greater power than most CFB coaches (or all, even) and could have gone
further with follow-up. Secondly, he held on a long time, and the older one gets the easier it is to slide into other things or
not be as diligent. I think the Paterno of 1973 would have been a bit more forceful than the one much later in life. His name
paid the price.

Is it time for "Joe Paterno Day" at Beaver Stadium? No. Not yet anyways. One day....a few years down the line perhaps, but
not before all of the victims have been made whole and have reached at least a point in their recovery that allows it.

Sandusky in prison- heck yes!

Well said.

That position is not necessarily inconsistent with the position that the wins should count.

Great. Let him have the wins. OJ will always be a Heisman winner, but that isn't his legacy any more. The court of public opinion will hold him accountable for allowing his buddy to rape children on school property. Being a winning coach is now secondary to his story.

Just in. Paterno is the winningest coach in College Football again. NCAA restoring his 111 vacated wins.

Lets get it right. John Gagliardi remains the winningest coach in college football history. The NCAA didn't agree to this because it was the right thing to do. They are just trying to make the lawsuits go away. Nothing more and nothing less. This was an orchestrated cover-up by the three most powerful administrators at Penn State and one of the most powerful and influential college football coaches in America who looked the other way while Sandusky continued for over ten years to bring his young victims onto the PSU campus and to out-of-town bowl games.

My opinion about Joe Parterno remains the same as Joe's opinion about himself. Paterno should have done more than he did to stop a pedophile from abusing defenseless children after he was investigated for it in 1998 after a mother's complaint, and accused of it again in 2001 by an assistant football coach. Paterno may have gotten his won-loss record restored but he will NEVER get his reputation back. And neither will Penn State.

My personal stance on Paterno is that he was aware of what happened, reported to who he thought he had to report to, and washed his hands of it. I tried to relate it to my own life, if I saw a crime, I would report it to the cops, but don't think I would follow up with the cops to see what they did with it. It does get a little sketchy when he obviously knew Sandusky real well and understood what was going.

I understand what you are getting at, but that is a terrible comparison.

Great. Let him have the wins. OJ will always be a Heisman winner, but that isn't his legacy any more. The court of public opinion will hold him accountable for allowing his buddy to rape children on school property. Being a winning coach is now secondary to his story.

Good points. This cover up by Joe Pa & Co. was all about football and protecting their phony image of we can do no wrong. The NCAA is a complete CF and, IMHO, this decision puts the final nail in the NCAA having zero credibility. I wonder what the victims think of this decision?

My opinion about Joe Parterno remains the same as Joe's opinion about himself. Paterno should have done something more than he did to stop a pedophile from abusing defenseless children after he was investigated for it in 1998 after a mother's complaint, and accused of it again in 2001 by an assistant football coach. Paterno may have gotten his won-loss record restored but he will NEVER get his reputation back. And neither will Penn State.

Yes. Paterno was HC, President, and God of Happy Valley and could make anything happen. PSU will forever be Pedophile State University.

Excellent. The NCAA should've never been involved in this criminal investigation. The wins have been rightfully restored though, sadly, Paterno is not around to see it.

I couldn't disagree more. Yes this situation involved criminal charges but that doesn't mean the NCAA doesn't have a role in the punishment either. This was a MAJOR cover-up that had one goal and that was to protect the football program. It would've been a disgrace had the NCAA not gotten involved considering what took place was directly related to the top sport on campus.

And to GopherWeatherGuy who said that the fans and players who had nothing to do with this should never have been punished to begin with, I understand what you're saying. Yes it's not fair to the fans and the current players but this is how it's been done forever. Every time a school has received post season bans and so forth the innocent fans and players are the ones who ultimately pay the price. But the bottom line is that the PSU football program needed to get punished and post season bans is an effective way to do that. Also let's not forget that the players had the option to transfer and be eligible to play immediately so the ones who stayed knew what they were getting.

Lets get it right. John Gagliardi remains the winningest coach in college football history. The NCAA didn't agree to this because it was the right thing to do. They are just trying to make the lawsuits go away. Nothing more and nothing less.

My opinion about Joe Parterno remains the same as Joe's opinion about himself. Paterno should have done something more than he did to stop a pedophile from abusing defenseless children after he was investigated for it in 1998 after a mother's complaint, and accused of it again in 2001 by an assistant football coach. Paterno may have gotten his won-loss record restored but he will NEVER get his reputation back. And neither will Penn State.

Fine. I edited the original post to reflect the correction, though I doubt people here were confused as DIII football isn't on the consciousness of most cfb fans. I agree that the NCAA didn't do this because it was the right thing to do. The right thing to do for the NCAA would have been to not stick its nose where it didn't belong in the first place. The NCAA needs to stick to enforcing rules that its member schools need to follow. As far as I know, there were no rules violations to go after them for. Thus, it ended up being the right decision IMO.

I hate this.

PSU fans will continue to think they are victims because they were "deprived" of wins, bowls, scholarships, etc. I empathize as a sports fan, but this was brought on to some extent by a sports culture who made demigod's out of coaches and administrators. I still think the NCAA should have given them the "death penalty" to allow people to attempt to recalibrate what is really important in their lives. Instead they gave them a punishment, albeit strong, but one which they have been been going back on ever since. In a potential teaching moment, no lessons were learned and the NCAA continued it status as incredible pushovers when big money is on the other end.

same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

I hate this.

PSU fans will continue to think they are victims because they were "deprived" of wins, bowls, scholarships, etc. I empathize as a sports fan, but this was brought on to some extent by a sports culture who made demigod's out of coaches and administrators. I still think the NCAA should have given them the "death penalty" to allow people to attempt to recalibrate what is really important in their lives. Instead they gave them a punishment, albeit strong, but one which they have been been going back on ever since. In a potential teaching moment, no lessons were learned and the NCAA continued it status as incredible pushovers when big money is on the other end.

same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

This was brought on by an evil man who did evil things, and other evil people who knew about it and who concealed it, failed to report it, or failed to take other action when the people they reported it to didn't do anything. I refuse to place any blame on fans whose only crime is placing too much importance on football and who had no knowledge or reason to know about what evil acts were going on behind the curtains. You could certainly make an argument that I place too much importance on sports, and I get too worked up when I curse and scream at my TV when whatever Minnesota team is playing that night blows another winnable game. However, I do not accept that if something like this was going on behind the scenes at the U right now that I have any level of culpability whatsoever, nor do you or any of the loyal and possibly too committed fans on this board.

I've put my opinion of this entire issue out here numerous times. So I will eschew from rehashing much of it here.

Personally, I don't care about the wins. Joe Pa won a lot of football games. Give them back, or revoke them. It makes little difference to me. Joe Paterno can be the winningest D-I coach of all-time again, that's fine. In the court of public opinion, he is also the Rape-enabling-est coach of all-time.

The NCAA continues to make themselves look like a fool (now a universal constant). So no change there.

I am bothered by the folks who say the scandal had nothing to do with winning football games though. If you don't think covering up a major pedophilia scandal on your campus and in your facilities for a decade plus doesn't provide a competitive advantage, then you are kidding yourself.

Recruitment of football players to PSU was based in part, on not only program success, but also convincing kids and parents alike that PSU and its staff had an impeccable reputation and high ethics and morals. Would Joe Pa have landed some of the players he did if he had to go to a recruit's parents house and answer questions about that whole pesky coach committing child rape thing? Hard to stand on a platform of high ethics and morals when you have something like that in the open. Recruitment was most certainly impacted positively by the cover up. And that provides a competitive advantage. And a route for the NCAA to intervene. Unfortunately, football is too big to fail at Penn State, and ultimately, even the NCAA agreed.

I've put my opinion of this entire issue out here numerous times. So I will eschew from rehashing much of it here.

Personally, I don't care about the wins. Joe Pa won a lot of football games. Give them back, or revoke them. It makes little difference to me. Joe Paterno can be the winningest D-I coach of all-time again, that's fine. In the court of public opinion, he is also the Rape-enabling-est coach of all-time.

The NCAA continues to make themselves look like a fool (now a universal constant). So no change there.

I am bothered by the folks who say the scandal had nothing to do with winning football games though. If you don't think covering up a major pedophilia scandal on your campus and in your facilities for a decade plus doesn't provide a competitive advantage, then you are kidding yourself.

Recruitment of football players to PSU was based in part, on not only program success, but also convincing kids and parents alike that PSU and its staff had an impeccable reputation and high ethics and morals. Would Joe Pa have landed some of the players he did if he had to go to a recruit's parents house and answer questions about that whole pesky coach committing child rape thing? Hard to stand on a platform of high ethics and morals when you have something like that in the open. Recruitment was most certainly impacted positively by the cover up. And that provides a competitive advantage. And a route for the NCAA to intervene. Unfortunately, football is too big to fail at Penn
State, and ultimately, even the NCAA agreed.

Perfect encapsulation. This had everything to do with the football program.

In the end, this comes down to money, both for PSU then and the NCAA, possibly Big Ten now.

This was brought on by an evil man who did evil things, and other evil people who knew about it and who concealed it, failed to report it, or failed to take other action when the people they reported it to didn't do anything. I refuse to place any blame on fans whose only crime is placing too much importance on football and who had no knowledge or reason to know about what evil acts were going on behind the curtains. You could certainly make an argument that I place too much importance on sports, and I get too worked up when I curse and scream at my TV when whatever Minnesota team is playing that night blows another winnable game. However, I do not accept that if something like this was going on behind the scenes at the U right now that I have any level of culpability whatsoever, nor do you or any of the loyal and possibly too committed fans on this board.

This.

I am not blaming fans for what happened, I am saddened in the aftermath which showed they and a lot of the sports community have our priorities wrong. Seeing the fans feeling like they were entitled to football and also the audacity that they thought they were victims in any sense. Again this does not just apply to PSU, look at any school, especially blue bloods and you see this worship of sports culture. In this specific case, when I thought there could have been a lot of important dialogue on, sexual abuse, the value of sports culture, and the dangers of idol worship. Instead, it turned into "me, me, me, why can't i have my football?". What I am saying is it was a teaching lesson for everyone in the sports community and the ball was thoroughly dropped. With the NCAA continuing to bend over, it only reiterates the wrong impression.

Recruitment of football players to PSU was based in part, on not only program success, but also convincing kids and parents alike that PSU and its staff had an impeccable reputation and high ethics and morals. Would Joe Pa have landed some of the players he did if he had to go to a recruit's parents house and answer questions about that whole pesky coach committing child rape thing? Hard to stand on a platform of high ethics and morals when you have something like that in the open. Recruitment was most certainly impacted positively by the cover up. And that provides a competitive advantage. And a route for the NCAA to intervene. Unfortunately, football is too big to fail at Penn State, and ultimately, even the NCAA agreed.
Thank you! I'm amazed some people really believe that the NCAA should never have gotten involved. This was DIRECTLY related to the only sport on that campus that matters. Their football program is everything to that school which is exactly why they purposely covered this up.

Agree fully. No matter how many times Penn Staters pretend to do things the right way, the more it becomes an exercise in hypocrisy. There is little doubt in most folks' minds as to the reasons this entire matter magically disappeared for more than a decade. Meanwhile, there is a sizable portion of their fan base that has taken on the role of "real victim" since their dirty little secrets became public.

I've lost all respect for Penn State over this, not because of the crimes that were committed, but because of how many in their group of cultish followers actually think they're the real victims. Follow the money and unbridled adoration and you can see why Penn State tried to hide this for as long as they did.

As for the NCAA, they're worthless, useless and corrupt up to their proverbial eyeballs. The ultimate in feckless leadership pretending to be of moral and ethical fiber.

Thank you! I'm amazed some people really believe that the NCAA should never have gotten involved. This was DIRECTLY related to the only sport on that campus that matters. Their football program is everything to that school which is exactly why they purposely covered this up.

The NCAA should not have got involved.

I'm amazed some people believe they should.

Top Bottom