Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Scary thing is that this guy is my age and is 6'8. I can't imagine anyone in my grade close to 6'8. Another thing is I am very interested in how he progresses through the years

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    If Matthew keeps growing, getting stronger, getting more talented, gets more experienced, he is going to be the highest, most sought after recruited Minnesota player, probably ever.
    No, he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    No, he won't.
    Thoughts exactly. Quite the hyperbolic statement right there.

No, he won't.
    I don't know...I think he could be. Has the state of Minnesota ever had a top five recruit in the "internet recruiting era"?

Quote Originally Posted by thesanfordman View Post
    I don't know...I think he could be. Has the state of Minnesota ever had a top five recruit in the "internet recruiting era"?
    Tyus Jones...

Tyus was actually #1 in the country on ESPN at the beginning of his junior year and was top two almost always right until the end.

Default okay not arguing

No, he won't.
    It's a message board. What am trying to convey is that Matthew Hurt is very good now. If he continues to improve he'll be spectacular. Keep in mind, he is a 13,14 year old competing
    against 17,18 year olds. That's different than an 18 year old competing against a 23 year imo. There are not too many players of any age shooting 63% from the field averaging 15 points or more.

247 had Tyus at #7 overall, Rashad at #12, Reid at #37. I wasn't talking Olberding era. Like somebody said in the internet era... if he's a top 5 guy (in 3-4 years) would that do it? There's nobody back to 2002 on 247.
    He's smooth dpo. He's 6-8 as an 8th grader....most guys grow a lot all through high school. (Girls don't)

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Tyus was actually #1 in the country on ESPN at the beginning of his junior year and was top two almost always right until the end.
    ESPN has Tyus at #4 now, so he's top five. That's hard to do for a point guard, I'd say.

It's a message board. What am trying to convey is that Matthew Hurt is very good now. If he continues to improve he'll be spectacular. Keep in mind, he is a 13,14 year old competing
    against 17,18 year olds. That's different than an 18 year old competing against a 23 year imo. There are not too many players of any age shooting 63% from the field averaging 15 points or more.

247 had Tyus at #7 overall, Rashad at #12, Reid at #37. I wasn't talking Olberding era. Like somebody said in the internet era... if he's a top 5 guy (in 3-4 years) would that do it? There's nobody back to 2002 on 247.
    He's smooth dpo. He's 6-8 as an 8th grader....most guys grow a lot all through high school. (Girls don't)
    The question for Matthew will be 2 sided. 1.) Will he keep growing and 2.) Will he keep developing his skills and athleticism as kids his age catch up to him naturally in terms of size and strength. Not all guys keep growing though HS. I had a friend top out at 6'3" in 9th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by PTalberg View Post
    Tyus Jones...
    He was #4 by ESPN, but #7 by Rivals, #8 by 247Sports, and #9 by Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1406 View Post
    The question for Matthew will be 2 sided. 1.) Will he keep growing and 2.) Will he keep developing his skills and athleticism as kids his age catch up to him naturally in terms of size and strength. Not all guys keep growing though HS. I had a friend top out at 6'3" in 9th grade.
    Have you seen Matthew, though? He's not 6'8" because he went through puberty early.

Just because "it's a message board" doesn't mean I'm going to refrain from commenting when people make outlandish comments. He's already quite good and is likely to be very good, possibly even a 5-star. But he's not going to be the highest-rated or most sought-after player ever from Minnesota, even if you limit it to the internet era.

Default Somebody has to be...right?

Just because "it's a message board" doesn't mean I'm going to refrain from commenting when people make outlandish comments. He's already quite good and is likely to be very good, possibly even a 5-star. But he's not going to be the highest-rated or most sought-after player ever from Minnesota, even if you limit it to the internet era.
    Tell me who is? Who does he have to outrank to do so, in your eyes? I said could be, you disputed my comments.
    Who we arguing about? Or are you saying somebody will eventually surpass Matthew, even if he does acheive that status? So "ever" is only temporary...if that's your point...I do realize that. Sounds to me like you agree he is a candidate to become best ever. No way, did I say he was already, just that he could be and I acknowledge there are lots of variables to reaching that level that are unknown at this point. But the most immediate one for this discussion is why you think he can't, because that's limiting and definitive. How do justify that conclusion? Just saying it doesn't make it so, without further explanation supporting your conclusion for me to agree with you.
    He is the best candidate I'm aware of to be in that discussion from Minnesota through 2019.

Hurt won't be one of the top ranked recruits to come from Minnesota unless he puts up Broman type numbers or performs at a star level in the EYBL for multiple seasons. He may have the talent, but just being a star at John Marshall isn't going to lead to a high recruiting ranking. The top recruits prove themselves against the best of the best. The Big 9 is leaps and bounds below the top cities leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by adchester View Post
    Hurt won't be one of the top ranked recruits to come from Minnesota unless he puts up Broman type numbers or performs at a star level in the EYBL for multiple seasons. He may have the talent, but just being a star at John Marshall isn't going to lead to a high recruiting ranking. The top recruits prove themselves against the best of the best. The Big 9 is leaps and bounds below the top cities leagues.
    Henry Ellenson did okay for himself at Rice Lake.